Which Series Did You Like More, Animated or Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by ABrown, Sep 19, 2018.

?

Which series did you like more? Animated or Prime

1. Animated

103 vote(s)
    60.6%
  2. Prime

67 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Maniacally Laughing as the Bayverse Burns

The Autobots in Animated arguably weren't all good guys for that matter, though...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

The Glory That Was Animated!

It was GLORIOUS!

• Like Like x 3
  3. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The closest thing to a bad Autobot in TFA was Sentinel Prime, who was more of a stupid bully that got owned by his own antics than a serious dirty threat. Let's not pretend that show had the SHADES OF GREY the fans like to pretend it had.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Maniacally Laughing as the Bayverse Burns

Hmm, you mean the whole part where they built the Sentinels - literal newborns - ordered them to go blow up Decepticons, and then when Omega asked Ratchet why he'd been brought to life simply to end the life of countless others, Ratchet could not give an answer?

Or how about the fact Arcee, after the codes were accidentally extracted into Rathet's brain, was evidently left comatose for centuries because her usefulness to the Autobots as a whole ended when she no longer had the Omega codes, despite her clearly being brought back online rather easily by the Decepticons after they retrieved her.

Or how about the Animated comics, which while short lived were great, but specifically how exactly Jetstorm and Jetfire came to be the only Autobot flyers when the continuity was hardline about Autobots lacking flight capability? I mean, clearly you think nothing about the fact the Autobots experimented on horribly disfigured victims of a smelting accident, subjected them to painful experimentation without asking them, and then left them to die in an out of control simulation taken over by Starscream. Absolutely no question the Autobots were totally paragons of virtue when they did shit even the Decepticons didn't do - the closest in any form of canon they get is Blackarachnia experimenting on Wasp to make Waspinator, and then the planned content for post S3 where Megatron forced her to give him the risky Triple Changer upgrade, but Blackarachnia herself was originally the Autobot Elita-1 so actual Decepticon scientist types like Shockwave don't actually commit blatant ethical violations anywhere near on the same level as the Autobots

The mere fact the Autobots were collectively not actually 100% good guys is the darkest they've ever been outside of the expanded G1 based comic material, which is worth noting because while the Decepticons were simply bad guys with lots of brute strength and the second greatest incarnation of Megatron (BW still has the best since he actually won), the Autobots were hardly any better by being less murderous but actually more ethically bankrupt.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hard to pick. I liked them both a lot.

*knock knock*

Who’s there?

Oh hey, Beast Wars!!

*walks away with Beast Wars*

:p 

• Like Like x 2
  6. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ratchet did give an answer though. And he gave the same one Magnus gave him, they were doing it because they had to do it to win the war. Otherwise they would've lost to Megatron, a man that finds it disgusting to see a little girl display happiness and that gets off killing innocents in a petty trantum. That's not "shades of grey!!", that's Baby's First War Show. Hard situation leads to hard choices. "Morally bankrupt... heh.... makes you think..." is cringy exaggeration from the kind of people that go "WOW THIS KID'S SHOWS ACTUALY IS VERY ADULT EBCAUSE DEATH EXISTS!" Let's not go that path.

The Arcee thing is exaggeration too, you're lying about what happened to make it sound sleazy and evil and "epic shades of grey". Arcee was beyond help, the Autobots were only able to fix her thanks to Sari, who had a mystical Allspark-given power to fix and analyze Arcee. The Autobots weren't keep her in a coma for fun, and the Decepticons were merely able to extract codes from her mind but not to reactivate fully or cure her.

Once again, Jetstorm and Jetfire, there you go flat out lying to make things seem badass or whatever. The closest thing to questionable is Ultra Magnus telling Perceptor to not use Elite Guard personnel for the experiments. Everything else you're making up on the spot. Jetstorm and Jetfire's upgrades were never stated to be painful or stressing or even annoying, we just see them going from broken messes to fully repaired and upgraded. "Left them to die?" When the training protocol goes haywire Perceptor flat out states he's trying to shut it off but can't, even the selfish Sentinel Prime tries to run and pull the cables off but it's impossible to touch the cables, both him and Magnus are clearly stricken by it. They didn't "leave them to die" no matter how you try to spin it.

TFA is very very VERY far from this delusional image of it you're painting. It had some very nice depictions of how war forces bad things to happen, but at no point did they ever make the Autobots look worse than the Decepticons. Every single negative aspect of them is clearly displayed as a tragic hard choice or bureacracy born out of a damaged society while the Decepticons do horrible things with glee.

7. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

As though Prime dealt with shades of grey within the Autobot ranks at all?

• Like Like x 1
  8. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    That was never his point though.

9. Blam320

The point of the thread is to compare Animated to Prime. One made the point that Animated explores the possibility of the Autobots making morally grey decisions, which the other is trying to refute by downplaying it to the extreme. I'm trying to bring things back on topic by relating the argument to the original point: does Prime ever explore moral greyness within the Autobots? No.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    That's fair, though I can't help but feel that this thread has devolved into carping for the sake of carping.

11. Inner-Demon

Inner-Demon Instrument of Destruction

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Animated. It elevated the brand.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Animated was a kids show that proved to be surprisingly mature.

Prime was a kids show that proved to be only edgy.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  13. xolta

xolta Well-Known Member

Animated because what I saw of prime wasn't as good.

14. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz KABLAMO!!!

Ebay:
    At least Animated had other autobots

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blam320

Big selling point for me. More guest characters.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz KABLAMO!!!

Ebay:
    Here are some thoughts of the main cast and cons on both shows.
    Animated's Robot Chickens:

Optimus- A very intresting take on prime and I will still not except that David K voiced him.
    Bumblebee- Was ok in the begging but got gradding fast and never changed during the show.
    Bulkhead- This is what I think of, a big bot with a bigger heart with a knack for art.
    Ratchet- My second favorite take on the character, I liked his story with Omega, it was cute.
    Prowl- Best Prowl of all time and I will fight you in the street!

Animated Decepticreeps:
    Megatron- The season long build up was long but worth it as we get a really rocking version of this character with my favorite design.
    Starscream- Tom Kenny, that's all I need to say.
    Shockwave- The double-spy idea was genius and one of my favorite toys. Also my favorite character for a time.
    Blitzwing- He also was a fav at one point, still a great triple changer and I loved the 3 personalities, I don't even want to know what hell Sixshot lives in.
    Lugnut- The worst part about him is he hasn't appeared since, Him in Blitzwing made season 2 great and his lust for Megs was histarical.
    Soundwave- He was weird in this version, but i did love ratbat and Laserbeack as guitars.

Prime AutoChumps:
    Optimus- This give white bread a run for its money in the bland department.
    Bumblebee- An almost one to one with movie version, except for kids so he is more annoying.
    Cliffjumper- RIP
    Arcee- Her whole thing was she lost her partner and that was it. Got old quick.
    Ratchet- RATCHET AND FOWLER ARE BEST GIRLS!!! Favorite version of Ratchet by far!
    Bulkhead- It was sad, he Bulky in name alone, They made him a wrecker and removed his personality and charm from animated.

Added on autobots:
    Wheeljack- Same with Bulkhead, made him a wrecker, and removed his unique characters.
    Magnus- Optimus but Blue and angry.
    Smokescreen- Awful, his character was painful, no wonder his is my least favorite of his three brothers.

Cons:
    Megatron- Generic evil villian
    Starscream- Great voice acting and character but weird design.
    Soundwave- Really far out take and it end up paying of as a great character with no dialouge.
    Breakdown- He had no character, His purpose was to die like 4 time.
    Knockout- Best contribution Prime gave to Transformers as a whole.
    Arachnid- Least favorite con, she had nothing to do but to be Arcee's foil.
    Dreadwing- Was a cool character, he had a brother with a name who I forgot exsisted

Agent Fowler is the best human ever.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Saberblade

Saberblade Well-Known Member

I liked both Prime and Animated. Too bad TFA ended after 3 Seasons.

Would be cool if they make a SG cartoon series. I would like to see The Decepticons being the good guys

18. Furnace

Furnace Ant-droid at a picnic

Out of all TF series, I'd say Animated has the best command of color theory. The palates they use for each character and environment are incredibly distinct. Just look at the shades of red on Optimus, Megatron, and Rodimus; each one is distinct and fits each character like a glove. It's brilliant!

19. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Prime = Beast Wars with teen angst. Blah. Dark, broody, CG.

Animated = better. The animation was very similar to The Batman. I prefer cel toons, heavily dislike CG. In fact, I'd probably say Animated is the 2nd best to G1. 2001 RID or Energon is probably 3rd for me. My interest quickly wanes on some series.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  20. Stormragetron

Stormragetron Well-Known Member

These are my two favourite series so it is hard to chose .

Prime was amazingly animated and dark . But sometimes it went too dark . I really disliked the zombie vehicons and butchered Breakdown . I also found it horrible how the finished Airachnid .

I think TFP had the best human cast and best character designs . Also the best version of Megatron ever .

Animated was lots of fun . Character designs took a bit of getting used to . Sari was a great sidekick .
    I wasnt fond of the non cybertronian baddies like Meltdown or Masterson .

Overall TFP just about wins overall