Which Sauron should I get?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Ra88, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Alright, here's the thing. A few months back I had to chance to pickup Toybiz's 11-inch Lord of the Ring Sauron at a toy convention for 30 euro's, but I didn't think it was worth it. The following week I read a few reviews of it, and then realized I was an idiot, especially since I couldn't get it anywhere in the Netherlands anymore.

Now, however, the internet store that was selling it has it back in stock, but it's limited. No problem, until I saw they also had the Defeat of Sauron 3-pack...For the same price of 30 euros. And problem is, I'm a complete and total n00b when it comes to LotR figures, and I couldn't find a review of the 3-pack on the net.

So now here's what I want to know: Which version is the better deal? Oh, sure, the second version has two extra figures, but I have no idea if it's the same size as the solo-packed one, and I also don't know if it has the mace, electronics, the 3 One Rings and the removeable fingers. And if it doesn't have those, well, then it's just not worth it to me. However, if it's exactly the same as the solo-packed one but with the bonus of a spear and two figures, then I'll buy that without a doubt.

So: Help, please?

PS: 30 euros is $38.25, and I'm talking about these two:
    http://www.gator.nl/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1152&category_id=581&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1&lang=nl

http://www.gator.nl/index.php?option=com_phpshop&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=2861&Itemid=&lang=nl

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I prefer this one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:p 

On topic though, I think the 2nd one is the best. Electronics and all. If I remember correctly though, he towers over the other figures. He's roughly the size of Treebeard. At least they had similar packaging.

Though the first one, you do get a couple of extra figures.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    :lolol  Being an ex-X-Men fanatic, thats the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title!

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thought of old green beak too.. we need a ML of Sauron.

5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    or u coulg get the Sideshow Weta one for a nice sum of about 250-300 ;) 

6. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I like my toys poseable, hence why I rarely buy McFarlene :p 

Seriously, isn't there anyone that can help me with this? :( 

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, I wished I could help you but I didn't pay attention to both Saurons when I came across them. I'm not too sure if the action features are the same but if you can get 3 toys for 1...well, the more the merrier!

Oh yeah, IMO the single Sauron is my preferred Sauron but I passed up on him because I didn't want to get suck into the line.

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Wow, that's a lot of unhelpful posts.

The two Saurons are the same figure, both come with removeable fingers, and the mace weapon.

However, the 3 pack does NOT come with any of the electronics, no lights, no sound. As I recall, some packs had the ring bag, and others didn't, so it's a crapshoot there as well. Also, there were a lot of complaints about the bent weapons in the gift pack, and some seriously crappy paint jobs.

Also, Sauron as a Single figure had two releases, the TTT version, and the ROTK version. The ROTK version had a blackwash to him, making him much darker and more menacing, not to mention it brings out the outstanding etch work on the armor. (I got the TTT version, and then the ROTK version when the KB near me went out of business so it was 3 bucks as I recall.)

9. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    My bad. I totally so forgot the 3-pack had no electronics...

10. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Thanks, Pravus! Well, this'll certainly make my decision hard...I don't mind no electronics (although Sauron looks kickass with the red eyes), but the crappy paint job and bent weapons doesn't sound good...Maybe I should just spend the 30 bucks and an additional 100 on the Balrog...

11. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    true but how can anyone not like the 24 inch big Sauron statue from sideshow ;) 

:duel 

12. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Lack of display space helps a lot with that.:p 

13. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Ra88, remember to post pictures of whatever Sauron you're getting! :D 

14. Randy077

Randy077 New Member

Hi,
    I'm sorry I'm 10 years late to this. But do you still own these figures? If so could you kindly post a couple of pictures for comparison? Thanks so much!

15. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is a freaky thread to see necro'd because just yesterday I pulled my LOTR box out of deep storage and was marveling at how great the Sauron figure still is. And after 14 years his batteries still work and he is still insanely LOUD. "There is no life in the void!"

16. ABH1979

ABH1979 Blue Boba Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
  17. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Wow, never thought to see this thread brought back from the dead. Ended up going with the 3-pack, but honestly you're better offor with the standard release. The two other figures are only worth it if you like the characters. Other than that, they are limited, gimmick heavy figures who are just there to inflate the price, really.

18. Randy077

Randy077 New Member

"And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth. And for two and a half thousand years, the thread passed out of all knowledge. Until, when chance came, it ensnared a new poster." :D 

• Like Like x 3
  19. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

They made a 11 inch Sauron figure?!
    Damn I got into LOTR figure 'collecting' (if you can call one figure a collection) a decade late.
    Also, holy Necromony(?) Batman!

20. Drangleic

Drangleic Crom!

I have the Wraith and Witch King but I never got a Sauron. Also have the troll and my personal favorite, Treebeard. Treebeard is massive.