Which Protoform is Better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Renidragon, May 13, 2007.

1. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

So I've been thinking of picking up either Optimus Prime or Starscream movie protoform... but I really only want to get one... I can't decide which. Basically, the choice comes between picking up the lesser of two evils. Starscream's face is, well, sinfully ugly (and while Prime's not winning any beauty pageants, he's not hard to look at), but honestly, I don't really need another Optimus Prime who isn't, well, Optimus Prime, if you get my drift.

I've heard awesome things about the OP Protoform... I've heard next to nothing about Starscream.

So I'm calling for some opinions and objective advise. Which is more fun to transform? Which is more fun in bot mode? Who can pose better? Stuff like that.

2. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I found Optimus all-round better than Starscream. Also, Starscream seems to be a prime candidate for Gold Plastic Syndrome, right down to caramel-like swirls in parts of his body.

However! In Starscream's favour:
    -Automorph feature!
    -Very interesting hipjoint extension transformation
    -'flame burst' accessory can fit on his hand as an energy blade
    -Slightly taller, less 'organic' looking (if this is to your preference)

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    he also has many many nods to g1... the shoulder "pillars" the wings on the shoulders, wings on his calves, turbines on his chest, it looks like a cockpit on the torso, etc. honestly, he'd awesome except the retarded head. I have two, and I plan to repaint the second one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Starscream would look so much cooler if he were coloured like the packaging shows. Don't like the look of the gold, and the possibility of suffering GPS just scares me away from him. Prime... I'm picking him up as soon as i round up a bit of cash.

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Optimus.

6. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

At first I thought OPTIMUS PRIME, but now I favour STARSCREAM to be honest.
    He would be better in a greyish tone and his gun is a little over-sized, but I love his look apart from those quibbles. The vehicle works for me (looks like a "Kazon" ship from ST: VOYAGER) and his 'bot is sleek and 'techy' (Hey, I know what I mean!)

I guess most other people will be saying OPTIMUS, so ignore me!

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Optimus has the nicer robot mode for me, but I prefer Starscream's alt mode.

8. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I'm gonna have to vote for Optimus here, the articulation is sick!

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Optimus for me...Starscream looks too weird in bot mode but, his alternate mode sure is better than Prime's!

10. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I prefer optimus, everytime I transform starscream, his hip swivel thing pops out. its really annoying, and for whatever reason. I really like the silver color of opitmus a lot more.

11. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Overall, I think Optimus is the better toy.

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Optimus has a far superior robot mode, but I think Starscream's comet mode looks a lot better.

13. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    To me, it's Prime, hands-down. Don't get me wrong, the Starscream's pretty badass too but his shoulder articulation and not holding together as well in asteroid form knock him down a few pegs in my book.

14. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    Which Protoform is better? Thats like asking if it's better to get kicked in the right testical or the left testical.

15. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Both are excellent, but their best attributes are in different areas from each other.

Prime has a fantastic bot mode. He's highly articulated and balances well enough to hold a huge variety of poses. The sculpt on the whole figure is amazing, and the bluish silver color looks really nice. His alt mode is relatively lackluster, though. The transformation is classic Optimus, but the end result looks more like a giant metal sperm with a fiery tail and a bit of a Mack truck face.

Starscream, on the other hand, has a great alt mode. It really looks like some kind of weird alien ship. Transformation is nice, and the weapon stores far more snugly than Prime's. I also have a problem with the waist popping off when going to bot mode, though. I find that it doesn't balance as well on its wheels, too, and tends to tip over. It does have automorph, though, which is really cool when you see it in person. Bot mode is quite nice, although not quite as poseable as Optimus. The main problem is his arms. The shoulders are on a very odd ball joint, and it makes posing not impossible, but more awkward than it needs to be. The head sculpt also takes a lot of getting used to. It is a really nice figure, though, and I would definitely recommend it. I'm not concerned about GPS on this, as I figure Hasbro would have wised up and used a better blend of plastic that won't break down over time.

16. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    I finally saw these at walmart today up in canuck land, starscream looks like poop compared to the one on the back of the card. If I were to get one, it would be Optimus, he just looks a lot better, and his alt mode looks more like a meteor too.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    theyre called intakes. from the plane parts.

18. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I like the Prime one a lot, Starscream is good too but overall average.

19. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

Wish Starscream had wings and a better head.

Wish both were "proper" colours though, Prime should have some red on him. I don't get the "They're alien so they're not in colours!" vibe. I mean, WTF.

They're both kind of... interesting though. It might be best to get both, they're only deluxes. Not as if you have to pay the equiv. of $22 each for them like we do here.

20. Scraggin

Scraggin Banned

Yeah, but these obviously aren't intakes. The only way to generalise both the intakes and these things is to call them something like pillars.