Which Prime for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by fleshling, Nov 22, 2011.

?

Which Prime for Christmas!

Poll closed Dec 12, 2011.
  1. Buster Optimus and Jetfire

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. Striker Optimus

14 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. Jetwing Optimus

13 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Save Your Money

21 vote(s)
    38.2%
  1. fleshling

fleshling Well-Known Member

Good morning. I'm looking for the ultimate transformers Christmas present (for me and my son), and I'm down to three choices. I'm having a tough time deciding. I was wondering if anyone here could offer some advice on the situation.

I'm looking at BigBadToyStore, and I'm down to these three options:

• Jetfire and Buster Optimus - For us, this seems like the Ultimate Prime and Jetfire to have. The problem is that we've already got both of these guys. Secondly, this Prime would not be sitting in a display case somewhere. He would get played with by a child. Bad idea?
    • Striker Optimus - He doesn't have the Buster Gun, arm swords or a nice paint job, but he does have the awesome shield and guns and Mechtech ports.
    • Jetwing Optimus - It's got the movie-accurate Jetpack, but I don't like how it looks on the truck. The guns are ridiculous, too, for me. I think my son would probably love both. I don't like that it's missing the arm swords, too, and I think that my son would probably miss those, too.

Currently, we already have ROTF Leader Prime and Jetfire. If someone that owns one or all of these figures could chime in, that would be awesome.

2. fleshling

Thanks for the votes so far! Could you guys comment on why you're voting, too?

3. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

You seem to be someone who really gets hands on with his figures Fleshling. So I say save your money or get Striker if you must have one. He seems to be the one with the most play value. Jetwing looks cool but the use of the Jetpack is limited for playing and I agree that the guns are ridiculously big. The buster paint job will just be a headache for you and your kid.

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Personally, I'm not interested in Buster Prime, but I am interested in Jetwing and Striker. Now, you say you think the guns on Jetwing Prime are "ridiculous," if that's the case I'd say don't bother with him cos the guns are way cooler than the jetpack imo. Plus, I assume Striker Prime is cheaper and, as vm-01 said, would have more play value.

You say he doesn't have a "nice paint job," well, it may not be as meticulous as Buster Prime, but I personally think his darker greys look are a nice touch (much like how the darker greys helped the Wal-mart Sprinklestars Prime to standout) and a further point over Jetwing.

So, yeah, if I was you, I'd get Striker (and if I was me with more money, I'd also get Striker :D  )

5. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm just wondering why you're looking to spends hundreds of dollars on toys that you can buy for like 40-50$ here and get just about as much play out of..That's some pricey stuff to just have some kid play with.

6. fleshling

While, I'm certainly take part in the playtime, I get about 10-15 requests a night of "Can you transform Ironhide, Daddy?"

Yes, I think I'm coming over to the the Striker side. More play value, don't have to worry about the paintjob, etc.

Well, he's not just some kid. He's my kid. He's done a perfect job of not breaking the stuff he's got right now, so I just feel like he should get something cool for Xmas. Honestly, though, it's a bit for me, too. I'm thinking now with these replies, that he's not really going to "get" the upgrade from regular Prime to Buster Prime.

7. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

I highly suggest Buster prime. The chrome and silver paint make Op look awesome.

I have buster and haven't even taken another look at the other leader primes from DOTM

8. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Since you already have a RotF leader movie Optimus, I voted to save your money. But if I had to pick one, I think I'd go with Striker. From your descriptions, it sounds like you'd like that one the most...

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

All three of those options are just the ROTF Leader Prime with different accessories, and you mention you already have both the original ROTF Prime and Jetfire.

It sounds like you like Striker, but the only problem you mention with Jetwing is that the jetpack looks odd on the truck and he's missing swords. There isn't much I could suggest about how it looks on the truck outside of leaving it off (since I think the trailer was supposed to be the jetpack), but if the swords mean so much to you, why not just swap in the ROTF Prime you already have, who has the swords? Unless significant modifications were necessary to attach the jetpack, they should be compatible. Additionally, the missing swords are accurate to the DOTM portrayal, as I can't recall a single moment from that movie where Prime actually used arm weapons, they were all handled-weapons he took from the trailer.

10. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I voted before reading your thread. (Still new here) But if I already had ROTF Prime and Jetfire, I would save my money too. Get your son some of the new Prime figures for Christmas. I have been waiting for Christmas to give my son the DOTM stuff I've been picking up since the summer. He has just been playing with the Cyberverse stuff so far.

11. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

I think the only moment he did use the arm swords was when he was flying. Unless I got confused with all the Michael Bay action taking place at the same time.

Unfortunately ROTF leader can't use the Jetpack because the gas tanks get in the way.

I (like Abrogate) would buy Jetwing if I had the money and look at all the reviews I can find.

12. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Jetwing. Best TF I own.

13. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If it's going to be played with, Striker is the way to go. It has more play value with the shield and gun, and you won't be constantly worried about damaging the paint/chrome on the Buster Prime and Jetwing parts. Also, I have a real issue with the new Prime/Jetfire set costing almost $100 more than it's first release, especially when it's just a repackage and the yen hasn't gone up THAT much.

Having all 3 versions myself, I highly recommend Striker as an awesome looking toy, and the best one to play with. The others are great too, though, so save up!!

14. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    save your money:2c:  Like other have mentioned, you will just be re-purchasing a figure you have already bought, but with different paint and accessories. Get an mp10 instead:p 

15. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^^This get MP10.^^ I also have all of these including MP10. Striker looks the most fun in alt mode but MP-10 has all kinds of playablity.

16. fleshling

Ugh. Why did you guys have to mention MP-10?!?!?!?!

17. justamaze

justamaze Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    New poll...

18. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    Save your money for Prime Optimus Prime.

19. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    Striker and prime voyager optimus.

20. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    people who can afford japanese exclusives probably aren't sweating an extra $20