Which Predaking to get: Metal or Plastic?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by supervir2, Oct 12, 2010.

1. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    To those of you who have handled both, which is better and why? I've come across comments that the metal makes the limbs a bit too heavy when combined, causing the arms to sag or not hold positions. Is this the case? Just with originals, or reissues as well?

I'm looking at getting a Predaking, mainly to update w/ CrazyDevy parts (and yes I know about the wings) as I think it will look even more epic once completed. The extra weight they may add is a concern if the metal version is already struggling with its own weight.

The first reissue was w/ metal correct? As far as we know, the one later this year is as well?

Lastly, what kind of cost difference is there for the plastic versus metal? (If you want the original scheme and not the new gold one). The reissue seems to be going a bit cheaper than previously - two just finished on ebay for less than 300 and one was MISB.

2. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FWIW I picked up a vintage Japanese diecast edition years ago when I was on my G1 binge (he's one of the few G1 figures I've kept for that matter). I've only occasionally handled the plastic ones, but here's what I can tell you from owning the diescat one:

I've never had any sagging issues, but mine were minty fresh in their boxes when I bought them and I've not mucked with him much at all.

The amount of diecast is pretty limited, really. If you got looking for it, it's there to be found, but it's not like the difference between the Matchbox and Playmates Voltrons back in the day, if you know what I mean ;) 

Razorclaw is a not-scary adorable wittle kitten no matter which version you own.

D/L

3. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

There was an all-plastic Predaking at one point? Was this a knock-off or Takara/Hasbro release?

4. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Since these add-on kits are basically blindpacked, we have no idea what's in the pipeline or what it's going to weigh. There could be a two pound sword in the works for all we know. I would go the plastic route if you're buying now, just to keep the weight down. At least get plastic Razorclaw, Divebomb and Rampage.

It was a vintage variant, like most 1986 TFs.

5. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Good questions. I've been wondering the same thing to as Predaking is on my wish-list.
    Are any of the C.D. upgrades worth it? Or should I just keep Predaking "stock"?

6. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    stock, the headsculpt is one of the best g1's as is, and the wings look ridiculous and have trashed optibotimus' divebomb wings, besides, of all the combiners, he has the most poseability right out of the box, no need for add ons

7. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

Cool! Didn't know toys other than Hot Rod had the metal switched out.

Definitely better with metal.

8. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well the plastic version is the original Takara release, every subsequent release has been die cast. So a plastic one is probably harder to track down since there are alot less of them.
    Personally I'm getting a die cast one simply because its awesome, you dont get die cast that much anymore, and its PREDAKING he deserves to be as beefy and dense as possible.

9. Foster

News Credits:
    I have plastic Tantrum and Divebomb from Christmas 1986 that were in Hasbro packaging. Hasbro did indeed release both plastic and diecast versions.

10. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Ditto. My entire Predaking from my snotty-nosed childhood is all plastic parts.

11. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    okay my bad ^_^ seemingly he was plastic twice, I cant help it I was 2 in 1986 my memory from then aint so great ;) 

12. Foster

News Credits:
    It may have been diecast only in Ireland back in the day. I couldn't say for sure.

13. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wouldn't be the first arse-backwards thing Ireland has done lol.

14. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think the Die-Cast and Plastic differences came about between the single packed and giftset versions.