Which post-G1 US toy line did you enjoy the least / most?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by e3nine, May 9, 2008.

1. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Beast Wars
    Beast Machines
    R.I.D.
    Energon
    Cybertron
    Movie
    Alternators
    Classics 1.0
    Universe 1.0

as the title says, and why?

Least, it's the movie stuff. The figures just didn't do much. You can't really translate an epic CGI powerhouse to plastic very well. : \

Most, Alternators. Nothing short of a modern day G1.

2. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Classics hands down :)  My favourite line by a long shot. Animated coming in a very close 2nd.

3. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Least: Armada

Most: Animated or Beast Wars.

4. BingoBrown

BingoBrown Well-Known Member

Least: Energon (I hate Energon bits)
    Most: Classics, although I'll reserve final judgment until I actually get the Animated figs

5. ponn01

ponn01 Black Lantern

Classics has been awesome. I'm 100 percent positive it will be overtaken by Animated though. I guess third would be Armada, I actually liked the line so sue me.

Least favorite was the whole Beast Wars/Beast Machines line hoopla. *takes cover from incoming hate*

6. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Least: Beast Machines
    Most: Classics

7. butz

butz slippery when wet

Most would probably be Classics.

Least would probably be Alternators (having nothing but cars, who were too big to fit in with any other lines killed my interest in that line really quickly).

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    From most to least:

Classics 1.0 - My beloved G1 characters in updated forms with articulation. It's what I wanted since I got the RiD car brothers.

Cybertron - best mainline ever IMO. The ratio of winners to duds far outweighed the ratio in Armada and Energon. The gimmick didn't affect the playability of the individual toys on most of them which is a very good thing.

R.I.D. - It's what got me back into collecting. Optimus, Scourge, Rail Racer and the Car Brothers are still some of my favorite TFs to date.

Energon - The Decepticons for the most part were golden. There were some fantastic Autobots as well but the combining gimmick hindered some of the individual toys which was a little disappointing.

Movie - They aren't 500% faithful to the on screen characters but close enough for me. I appreciate the complexity and immense detail the toys have, but it has just a little too much of that for my personal tastes.

Beast Wars - Didn't get into it when it was first on shelves, but after buying and watching the entire series on DVD two years ago I went eBay crazy and bought a bunch of them. A little rough start, but some awesome toys later in the run.

G2- Gotta give credit to the Cyber Jets and Laser Rods!

Alternators - Great display pieces, a pin in the ass to fiddle with. Plus it got really old with only one price point and having all the characters transform into cars. Plus the later molds (minus Mirage) and repaints are pretty bad.

Armada - I can enjoy them for what they are at this point, but at the time they were a HUGE letdown and step backwards after RiD. But kids ate it up, and I doubt we'd have the amount of success with the franchise today without it. Plus...Unicron! Yay!

Universe 1.0 - Love the concept, not a fan of the execution. I was happy to get some of the molds I missed out on the first time around, but the paint schemes were absolutely god-awful. I wish they'd have gone more of the route of releasing Japanese-exclusive molds stateside like they did with nemesis Prime, the Micromaster Combiners and Overbite.

Machine Wars - I don't have any of the actual Machine Wars toys, but from what I have of the repaints of the molds, they were pretty neat just nothing to write home about.

Beast Machines - I don't have many of the toys. I'm one of the few who don't mind the show, but the toys just couldn't duplicate that type of transofrmation at the time.

9. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I loves me some Cybertron.

10. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

In ranked order

Energon: the homages did it. Energon Galvatron, Shockblast,Rodimus, Slugslinger, Inferno, Downshift (well I got SL Wheeljack but you get my point) Wing Saber, OMEGA SUPREME and articulated Combiners? HOW CANT LOVE THIS LINE!?!? Some the orginal non-homages molds were great too. Dreadwind, Sharkticon, Cliffjumper, Snowcat, Landmine, and Bulkhead were all great toys.

Classics: This is the ultimate G1 fanboy line. I love the figures. Optimus, Megatron, Hot Rod, Skywarp, all great toys. And with the Henkei repaints and the upcoming Classics 2.0 toys, this line could only get better. Prowl, Sunstreaker, Octane and Galvatron all look like fun toys. Cant wait!!

Cybertron: When you have Cybertron Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream (which is a war within homage!!) Evac, Scourge, the Cybertron Defense team, its a good line. Also of course there's Primus who turns into their home planet of Cybetron!! We finally have a Cybertron toy!!! Also Cybertron Blurr with G1 head.

Armada: Unicron, Nemesis Prime, Supercon Prime, Megatron, Blurr, the Star Saber are all good toys. But it was Unicron that made this line above:

Beast Wars: I didnt like this toyline until Transmetals came out. Ever since then, its been all love. TM Megatron (even though I own 5 of them cuz the waist kept breaking) TM Optimus Prime, TM Rattrap, TM2 Dinobot, TM Chettor, TM Depth Charge, all great toys. The Japanese Beast War toys were cool too. Big Convoy of course, Galvatron, Magmatron, Lio Convoy, all cool toys.

RID: One of my least favorite but a good line because it blended every TF line that existed at the time. You have G1 (The Combaticons molds) you have G2 (Scourge which started the whole, black/grey evil Optimus Prime repaints which still exist today and the endless Spychangers repaints) Beast Wars (Skybyte and the Predacons) Machine wars (Skidz and Towline) and their original molds were cool even though complicated to transform.

11. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I'd floated around the hobby for awhile as an adult (MP Prime, some Alternators), but the new movie line got me back in fully. I dug Beast Wars too, grabbed a few of those guys back in the day, as well as a couple classics too.

As for least, while there are a few gems hidden in each of them, Armada and Energon (and Cybertron to a lesser extent) get pretty much no love from me at all. The whole mini-cons thing, and bizarre molds like batmobile Megatron. Blech.

Wait, let me say it again for effect - Blecccccccccccch.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Most by far: BW.

Least: Energon.

13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I really don't think I thoroughly enjoyed any other toyline like that of RID. Classics was limited, Alternators were too difficult to find, Unicron Trilogy was garbage.

There is no doubt Animated wins before it's even released tho.

14. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Most - Classics

Least - Animated *runs away

15. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alternators for me. I liked the fact that they are real world cars and that they were all in scale with each other. They also fit in well with the Masterpiece line.

16. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Cybertron/Galaxy Force would my favorite line followed extremely closely by Alternators/Binaltech/KP etc... It would be Alts hands down but just not enough original molds to top Cybertron/GF.

As far as least favorite goes I think that title will eventually go to Animated but until we get into it more this title is still held by RiD.

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Classics/Universe and cybertron.

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Alternators, even if many of them were harder than hell to find.

19. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Most - Alternators/Binaltech

Least- I would have to say Energon since i barely have any from that line. They were modern day bricks that being made in the 2000's had no business being bricks.

20. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In order, from most favorite to least...

- Cybertron - Much as I dislike the Planet Key gimmick, rifling through my toys recently I've realized just how many of these figures I love and how consistent the line is. Many excellent molds, very good articulation across the line and a lot of nice decoes. Very few figures in this line I'd consider bad.

- TFTM07 - The live-action movie currently stands as my second-favorite TF mythology (behind Beast Wars) and the aesthetic of both the film and subsequent toys appealed to me a lot. After so much G1 rehashing, these figures are a breath of fresh air and stand out nicely in my collection. Generally very well engineered, although a couple of missteps (Deluxe Brawl).

- Energon - The "Energon weapons" have been my favorite gimmick out of all of the recent lines, as it allowed interaction between the toys and the weapons themselves were neat. A number of my "all-time favorites" are from this line (Bruticus Maximus, Sharkticon, Dreadwind, Quickstrike) and I give the line as a whole points for experimenting (duo-combiners, non-TF supporting character figures, gestalts, etc). However, there were some atrocious figures (Dinobots) and most of the Autobots were mediocre enough to weigh down the whole line.

- Classics 1.0 - As sick as I am of G1 redux, these are very well-engineered toys, save for the occasional misstep (Grimlock). Not a line I really get excited about, but consistently enjoyable.

- Armada - I really enjoy the Minicons but this line was fairly weak overall. Many figures had articulation limitations and the aesthetic wasn't as good as Energon and subsequent lines. A few outstanding figures (Unicron, Nemesis Prime) but the rest was mediocre.

- Beast Wars - The beginning of the line was a bit weak but it really picked up with the Transmetals and beyond. The show cast, and their various upgrades, always came out looking good.

- RiD - Decent, and allowed me to pick up a few molds I'd missed in earlier lines, but nothing special. Omega Prime and Megatron weren't as good as I'd hoped.

- Alternators - I have most of these but was they never really grew on me. A few figures were excellent but I felt most were mediocre and a few were just aggravating (Mustang mold, Skids). Never really cared about the realistic alt modes either, since I don't care about cars at all. Didn't help that the tail end of the line was damn near impossible to find. I only keep about half of these on display and they tend to be the first to come down when I need space.

- Beast Machines - Some nice molds on the Vehicon side (Jetstorm) but the Maximals were almost universally terrible and the majority of the show characters were way off the animation models; something that doesn't usually bother me, but this was a really bad case.

- Titaniums - Most of them looked good, but the line was plagued with engineering problems. Not sad to see these go.

Not counting Animated, since it's not out yet. If I were counting G1 in this listing, it would probably fall between Beast Wars and RiD.

Last edited: May 9, 2008