Customs: which paints?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SoundWave2007, Feb 28, 2007.

1. SoundWave2007

SoundWave2007 Well-Known Member

i would like to do some repaints of my own and would like to know which primers/paints are the best for the type of plastic used with the new classics line.
    i have worked alot in the past with citadel paints and primers but not sure how well those paints would work with these toys.

2. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I prefer to use acrylics myself. I've used Citadel paints a couple times, but the Testors acrylics are cheaper and work really well...and I never even use primer.

Others have had a lot of success with Krylon Fusion paints, but I still think that the acrylics are far easier to work with and still give a great finish and decent adhesion.

3. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I prefer to use acrylics myself. I've used Citadel paints a couple times, but the Testors acrylics are cheaper and work really well...and I never even use primer.

Others have had a lot of success with Krylon Fusion paints, but I still think that the acrylics are far easier to work with and still give a great finish and decent adhesion.

4. sdtessmann

sdtessmann Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll second that. Testor's Model Master Acryl are my paint of choice, too. If you find a really good shopthat carries the ENTIRE line, it's almost impossible to NOT match a color or find something unique color-wise.

Shawn

5. sdtessmann

sdtessmann Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll second that. Testor's Model Master Acryl are my paint of choice, too. If you find a really good shopthat carries the ENTIRE line, it's almost impossible to NOT match a color or find something unique color-wise.

Shawn

6. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I've been saying this a lot lately...

Walmart acrylic paints and brushes...

Seal with a semi-gloss sealer...

No need to sand or primer...may take a few coats though if lighter color on darker plastic...don't apply too heavy and you can speed the drying process up with a hair dryer...

Easy to remove if you mess up...(pre-sealer)...

7. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I've been saying this a lot lately...

Walmart acrylic paints and brushes...

Seal with a semi-gloss sealer...

No need to sand or primer...may take a few coats though if lighter color on darker plastic...don't apply too heavy and you can speed the drying process up with a hair dryer...

Easy to remove if you mess up...(pre-sealer)...