Which Optimus Prime Masterpiece is the Best?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AtariPrime, Sep 19, 2012.

1. AtariPrime

AtariPrime Active Member

I was wondering what the forum members feel is the best Masterpiece Series Optimum Prime and which one is the worst?

MP-10 seems to have an odd shaped head to me, more like the Japanese Optimus than the American. Thoughts?

2. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    If you talk about which version/variant's the best are, they're easily the Hasbro MP-10 and MP-4 without a doubt in my mind. I have MP-4 still ahead, simply cause I love diecast and all his other features. I might change my mind when I actually get Hasbro's MP-10, I doubt it'll make me think it's the best outright though. The worst is Hasbro's DVD (MP-1) edition. The colours were just ugly.

3. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I'm giving my vote to Hasbro's MP-10 because of several considerations.
    1. He's more in scale with the newer and upcoming MPs.
    2. While he has less diecast and features vs MP-04, he's a more dynamic figure, easily posed, and possessing more heroic proportions
    3. The guy literally looks like he just leaped off the screen, one of the key considerations many people have when picking MPs. Compared to Takara's MP10, the Hasbro version's blue eyes and lighter color really win out.

I'm not sure what you mean by the head being more Japanese like since the cartoon was animated by a Japanese company. It doesn't look like the popular head model as seen in the movie, but the G1 cartoon has been a bit inconsistent about the look of the head anyway. I have it in hand, and the head looks fantastic.

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    MP01.

IF YOU WEREN'T BUYING MASTERPIECES FROM THE BEGINNING THEN YOU'RE NOT A TRUE FAN. [/nerdrage]

;) 

5. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    :lol 

I think overall I prefer the look of MP01 but he's getting boxed up and stored when MP10 hits as MP10 fits with my collection better sizewise now. Same goes for MP05 when v2 hits although I have a sneaky feeling v2 Megs is gonna blow MP05 out of the water in everyway bar presence.

6. banjoted

banjoted Timelord TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Takara MP-10 for me, though the Hasbro version also looks fantastic.

7. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm getting hasbro mp-10, but the original mp prime will always be a very special figure, regardless of how good the new one is. So the new one can blow me out of the water (and it likely will), but mp-1 will always be a special figure to me. It was, for a very long time, the perfect incarnation of optimus. He's just passing on the torch to a new toy that's more in scale with the rest of the new MP releases. So I don't think either is better, just suited for different tastes and scales.

8. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  9. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Hasbro MP-10.

MP-01/04, while great for its time, is just left in the dust by the MP-10 mold, and Hasbro's version looks even better.

10. McSoundwave

McSoundwave Soundwave superior!

^This. :2c: 

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    mp-10. i'm not afraid to pose it and leave it, unlike the mp-01 mold

12. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    ^ Why are you afraid to pose MP-1?? It's not like he's going to shatter into pieces if he topples over.

13. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    That one for sure.

14. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

I still like the size, looks, gimmicks (pistons, shocks, head mold), and diecast (for nostalgia and weight for a high-quality figure) of MP01/04 better, but the scale, articulation, and balance of MP-10 blows the old mold out of the water. If you're looking at buying one now, I would say wait for the Hasbro version of MP-10 and try to pick up the iGear Faith Leader if you can find one for a good deal. Just my two cents.

15. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah but you worry about it chipping or breaking off small pieces. Personally I worry about my MP-01. :) 

16. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Takara's version of MP-01 for me. I recently reacquired it and and amazed by this figure. It may have just saved me $100.
    ;) 

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    but the glass in the cabinet will, when he falls and breaks it, or topples and the notoriously bad hip joints break, he's like the titanium line, transformable statue

18. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, best if very subjective. They are both awesome. I have an MP-04 myself (and a MISB MP-01L) and it was my first masterpiece figure. Handling the toy is a joy unless you have girly hands. Its heavy and feels right. That being said, because of its weight distribution it doesn' pose as well as it could have. If you like that version of him but want a smaller more poseable (due to balance) figure, PP-01 is pretty damn good.

I also have an MP-10. He is also a joy to handle and pose but isn't cold heavy diecast. He is more accurate to teh character model. Looks like he walked staright out of the cartoon. He's also scaled better with just about every other MP (and other) figure (except megatron who doesn't have a V2 yet). The head design is very very good (and i do know what you mean when you say it looks like the japanese version as the head seems modeled after some season 2 look as WELL as ginrai from teh japanese trilogy).

that being said, if i had enough room, i'd display both if i could. right now, mp-4 is boxed up and mp-10 is on display with rodimus.

19. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    MP-04. Even if MP-10 is more accurate, he has less features and feels much cheaper.

MP-04 = masterpiece
    MP-10 = toy

20. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    MP-10 Has the touch and the Power.