Which Optimus is most in-scale with legends-class cars?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by cryonaut, Nov 30, 2009.

1. cryonaut

cryonaut Lurker

Ebay:
    Hey all... hoping someone here is as OCD about scale accuracy in their displays as I am and can maybe relate to my search...

I like my displays to be as scale-accurate as possible, and I've recently started collecting classics legends-class autobot cars to have something to be in-scale with the classics deluxe-class seekers... However I'm having a hard time deciding what Optimus Prime would look right with them... Anyone got any good suggestions? Would the classics deluxe Optimus be too big? Is Robot Masters the same size as deluxe or a bit smaller? Would the Hybrid Optimus be a good size or too small? Any others I am maybe not thinking of that would fit the bill?

2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Hybrid Style Convoy is your best bet.

3. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I display my Legends class cars with Robotmasters G1 Convoy. Their vehicle modes are all right around 1/64 scale.

4. prawisucia

prawisucia Soldier of Heaven

News Credits:
    I think THS-02 is too small compare to the legend class.
    agree with Overlord54, that classics deluxe prime probably the best in scale with legends.

5. cryonaut

cryonaut Lurker

Ebay:
    Hmmm... conflicting opinions...

Anyone know if a legends class car will fit inside the trailer of THS-02? If so, even if it's a tight fit, I'd say that would verify proper scale... Does anyone have a picture of THS-02 next to a deluxe class like Classics Starscream for size comparison?

Also, can anyone confirm if RobotMasters and Deluxe Classics are the same size? Because even though the truck mode of both is total crap I think I like RobotMasters' look better than Deluxe Classics both in truck and robot mode...

Are there any other versions of Optimus in the same size range that I might be leaving out?

6. prawisucia

prawisucia Soldier of Heaven

News Credits:
    legend class car doesn't fit inside the trailer of THS-02, legends are just too big for THS.
    RobotMasters is smaller than Deluxe classics prime, the size of RM prime is between THS-02 and Classics Deluxe Prime.

try trans scanning optimus prime. the alt mode is in scale with legends.

7. cryonaut

cryonaut Lurker

Ebay:
    Well trans-scanning is out because that's movie-verse and I'm doing g1/classics... Deluxe seems like it may be just slightly too big, and THS seems too small, so it sounds like Robot Masters is my best bet... i wish there was a trailer for him though!

8. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    MP Optimus Prime.

Naw, probably G1.

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    An issue you may want to keep in mind is that there are essentially two scales in Transformers, bot mode and alt mode. Optimus Prime and Starscream are about the same size in robot mode, even though their alt modes aren't even close to the same size. While picking out a group that work in Alt mode seems to be your goal, you could also try to get a group that's scaled to each other in robot mode; in which case the Classics Deluxe would be properly scaled to Deluxe Starscream. Even if Megatron were only a TF sized gun in alt mode, the only TF toy that would work for him in this scale would be WST who would still be on the large side.

I love the Classics Deluxe Seeker mold, but they are a bit problematic if you're going for real scale accuracy in alt mode because you're forcing yourself into a corner with picking tiny TF's for the Autobots. Heck, the Masterpiece Seekers are probably not that far off from being the right size for Classics Voyager Prime in their respective alt modes. Then you could use the Classics and Legends cars as desired.

10. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    G1 Optimus Prime. Original or reissue. The die cast prime with trailer will be in scale to the classics legends. Simply because those legends are g1 minibot size anyway.

Classics two pack prime is good if you don't want a trailer. I admit he does look dynamic on the shelf.

I have seen the toys r us reissue prime for $30 from a couple junkion sellers. So that would be a good pick.

11. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm putting together a similar "to-scale" display of high-quality Transformers.

So far in this scale I have the Masterpiece seekers, Masterpiece Grimlock and a 1/48 Valkyrie Jetfire (soon to have correctly painted boosters). Alternity Bumblebee and Cliffjumper will join this display as will any future Alternity toys (I could have use the classics Autobot cars but I really don't like Prowl in that line).

As soon as iGear release the downsized MP Prime and Megatron they too will join this display (assuming the quality is good).

Obviously it won't be completely to scale but it's a compromise between alt and robot modes and it'll do until we get 1/32 scale seekers. ;-)

Funilly enough, as you're starting at a smaller scale, the MP seekers will be even closer to the correct alt-mode scale... I always liked the idea that the reason why the Autobots could never fully defeat the Decepticons despite their numbers was down to the fact that the Decepticon planes were HUGE compared to, say, Jazz or Bumblebee.

12. cryonaut

cryonaut Lurker

Ebay:
    But isn't G1 Optimus even larger than deluxe size??? I don't have one anymore but I thought I remembered him being right between deluxe and voyager size, which would make him way too big when compared to the legends class cars.

I'm actually doing two different displays - one in as close to 1/32 scale as I can get, and one in as close to 1/64 scale as I can get... So I've already got one display with the deluxe class cars that I look forward to adding the MP seekers to, as well as possibly the 3rd party downsized MP Prime and Megs...

Even though it was done in the comics and cartoon, I don't like to subscribe to the mass-shifting stuff... I like my alt modes to all be in proper scale as much as possible, and then the robot modes just have to deal with it. This is also why I don't like my Megatrons to be hand guns. If Prime is a bit shorter than Starscream and Megs then so be it. I too agree that the reason the autobots had such a tough fight on their hands with the decepticons was because the average decepticon is bigger and stronger than the average autobot. But at least they have Skyfire and Omega Supreme to call on for help. :) 

So it still sounds like Robot Masters Optimus Prime is the best choice for the 1/64 display... then I'm planning on using the Takara deluxe classics Megatron (tank mode with G1 colors) to go with it, as well as the classics voyager Skyfire.

13. Riltht

Riltht Full-Time Doomsayer

Could be wrong, but I think I've seen an original size RobotMatsers Prime KO that came with a trailer on the internet somewhere.