Which Optimus? 20th or MP

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kllrwlf, Jan 11, 2007.

1. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

For those of you who have both, which Optimus do you like better?

20th or Masterpiece or...?

Don't know which I want to get...

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Personally I vastly prefer MP Convoy over either 20th Prime, the battle damage on the first was marred by the battle damage paint aps and the second with dulled colors and addition of inaccurate colors (extra yellow on the head, blue rifle). Plus the remolding on both, the little nubs left over of the smoke stacks is just sad to see hanging there...

3. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes. I like them both for differnt reasons. However, I would suggest swapping out the stacks on the 20th.

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I have them both and like them both. I'm actually one of the few people who really LIKES the battle damage on 20th. But the short stacks suck.

So for me personally, the ideal figure is a 20th Prime with repro long stacks. That's how I have mine, and I love it that way.

Really it's just a matter of personal preference and cost! :) 

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Same here, I stuck repro stacks on mine, and I love the battle damage, I have actually considered dry-brushing mine to make him look even more worn.

6. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

It's really a matter of taste.

I got a 20th Prime back when they were first out and HATED it. I mean seriously, positively, absolutely, without doubt HATED it. It's loose and floppy. It can't stand up without being leaned against something. The battle dammage just looks horrible because it just cuts off on seam lines and corners. The stubby nubs for stacks aggravate me far more than they should. And the worst part is, and this goes for both versions, the chest is mis-aligned. I haven't even seen an official picture of either 20th OP, nor the original release MP without the misaligned chest. That's the kind of thing that just irks me to no end. Honestly, I felt it was the most over-rated figure of all time.

Then I got a MP a couple years later. And I can't believe how much I like it. I got lucky I guess, in that the Korean re-issue that I received is the only type that I am aware of that has the chest aligned properly. Fix #1. It isn't floppy. It doesn't fall over. It has no battle dammage. And it has long stacks. You'd be shocked how much of a difference that one little item makes in the looks of the toy.

I've since seen other people's 20th Primes that don't have the floppiness issues, which made me realize that my 20th Prime was doomed to failure from day one. So don't use that as a deciding factor. Personally, I love my MP, and use my 20th as a whipping boy for my Decepticons. Other people might do the opposite.

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I would say "whichever's cheapest." I'm not bothered by any of the differences they have, it doesnt change the figure itself in my eyes. I personally got my 20th Prime (the first one) for a whopping 11 bucks :D 

8. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I've had my Masterpiece Convoy (MP-1 version) ever since it released and don't have ANY regrets about the purchase. IMHO the battle marks and short smokestacks on 20th Anniversary Prime was somewhat of a turnoff. But if you want the imported version you have to put up with importing fees. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't MP-1 alot harder to find these days?

9. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

MP is my choice. Looked at both 20th versions and did not like the battle damage or the new colors. Prefer the pristine MP Prime.

10. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    It is getting harder to find on it's own but there's ways. The new version is out that comes with the official transforming trailer which is insanely expensive but as good as you'll ever get. Some places divided a few of those sets to sell each individually.

11. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

Newest MP Prime with trailer is expensive, but worth it, but it doesn't come with a Roller which kinda sucks..But it's great for holding all extra little Transformer parts, weapons, planet keys etc.

12. Banshee

Banshee MvC2 online! woot!

I'm still on the fence about getting MP-01, but I agree that he's a good choice. I just wish he wasn't that expensive :p 

TFsource and BBTS both have it in stock too.

13. Night Flame

Don't forget the Korean re-issue, which is exactly the same, right down to the box details, as the original MP-1, except the chest-doors are actually aligned right. And it's fairly readily available through several online vendors.

14. kllrwlf

Now I'm debating if the extra $ is worth it for the trailer... :) 

15. kllrwlf

Can you PM me some of the vendors! :)  Thanks!!!!

16. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

My 20th Prime was not in the least bit floppy, as a matter of fact his hips are so tight I'm always afraid they are going to break when I pose him.

17. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I think MP-01 is by far & away the superior of the two. Not only does he have the proper sized smoke stacks, his paint looks better too. Kind of has a more "realistic" look than 20th, who I always thought looked more cartoonish in color since his red is much brighter.

Since they re-released MP-01, it's fairly easy to come by. But if you can afford it, just get MP-04. Or find someone who's selling the *official* MP-04 trailer - not one of the fan made knockoffs. Yes, the trailer IS worth it. Not only does it make Prime complete but it looks awesome next to the Alternators (who also fit nicely inside - which makes Roller's absence an afterthought imo).

18. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MP-01 first release. No sucky small stacks or battle damage, and everything on mine lines up perfectly.

19. Night Flame

Huh. I hadn't actually looked in a couple weeks and going through my vendor list they appear to be all sold out. However, I did notice that ebay has a RIDICULOUS number of sealed MP01s for a pretty good price right at the moment.

Really? That would be the only first release of either version past the prototype stage to have done so. Every one I've ever seen has the chest out-of-whack until the latest release.

20. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I have MP-01, MP-02, MP-04, and two 20th Primes ( first version ) and ALL of them have properly aligned chest panels.