Which of you WEREN'T a kid in 1980s?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Screambug, May 3, 2007.

1. Megatron

Megatron Peace through tyranny

I was born in 87, I was raised on G2

2. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Transformers cartoon back in the day had a significant impact on me as a kid. I was hooked. Who wasn't? Usa saturday morning cartoons had me watching all of em from He-man, to Transformers! Wow, I just had a flashback....lol I was 8 in 84'.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was born in 1980, so TF came at exactly the right time for me to be aware of it. I watched the show religiously and got many of the toys (although only a few minibots , one Dinobot, and some combiner parts from the pre-movie era). I fell out of interest around the time Pretenders were introduced. Even as a little kid I recognized how incredibly crappy and stupid those things were. My last G1 purchase was one of the micromaster packs.

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    damn, youse guys are ancient o_O 

kudos.

5. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    same here, I was also 3 when the show started, my older brother had ALL the toys though, but I could never touch them lol

My first transformers toys were the G2 constructicons, I remember getting them from K-mart, they were pretty cool :) 

I was never into beast wars at the time, too busy with school and friends to care about toys and tv but once I got finished highschool, I started getting into transformers, picking up the RID line and havn't stopped buying and selling since!

I've yet to see most of the G1 cartoons, and I've barely seen any beast wars or beast machines, but some day I'll pick up the DVD's. I'm much more fascinated in the toys, then the shows.

6. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Yes, I was too young to appreciate G1 as well, and instead developed a love for the robots in G2.

7. cuters

cuters Diabolist

i was born in 1975 and still like to collect toys a sweet hobby and btw being older does not make us ancient your just still wet behind the ears tadpoll o_O 

8. Jason Blue Boost

Jason Blue Boost Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was born in 73. Had a bunch of Transformers G1 back then. Remember taking Mirage & Sunstreaker to school and having them stolen in my desk. I found about half of my collection with the boxes last year. I think my dad gave some away. Thank goodness I still have the more rare ones like Shockwave & Jetfire. When the Headmasters came around I wasn't liking the cartoon too much and lost interest after that. It all went downhill last year when I got the chickenpox, yes I never got them when I was a kid. I saw on Ebay they had Unicron, which everyone wished they had back in G1. Picked him up along with my lost G1's I use to have. Then got turned onto some Alternators. Saw Cybertron in the store and liked those and decided to pick up the whole line and thought the cartoon was great. Now I'm into Classics and tits. Going back and watching Armada and Energon now and Beastwars later. Will be picking up some movie figures, need to slow down now.:dj 

9. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

While I was alive when Transformers originally aired, most of my memories come from when they re-aired the original series during G2.

10. Inkku

Inkku possessed by the red cars

well.. i have born 1980 and i didin't know about anything Transformers until i did see one single TF Armada episode in spring 2005 my curiosity did wake up and so i started to look some information about that show at in internet, and i find out first more about Armada, then Energon, G1, TFTM, G2, Alternators, RID, Binaltech, BW, BM, Action Masters, Head Masters, Victory.. *and so on* and i was in seventh heaven when i did get MP Optimus Prime *and i'm still there.. :D  *

11. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Born in 1989. I was raised a little on Generation 2, and HEAVY on Beast Wars. :D 

12. shade 0066

shade 0066 Live Fast, Drive Faster!

I was born in '86. I remember watching the G1 series on viedo tape all the time. Every time we went to the viedo store to rent viedos thats all I ever grabbed. Hell I even rented the same videos multiple times.

13. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

I'm at the age where anyone under 18 is a kid. If you were between 3 and 18 in 1984, by my current reckoning you were a kid. Though, I might have thought differently back then about age. :D  If you were under three, you were a wee babe.

I was 9 in '84, by the way.

14. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I was born in '71, so I remember the G1 cartoon very well. My first transformer was Tracks...man, that was one sweet toy! I've been hooked in one way or another since then.

My dad was also the parent that said I was getting too old for "toys"

Little did he know that it was just the begining of an addiction....

15. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Born in '77, 7 years old in 1984, 100% target audience right here. I stayed with it right up until the '86 toys started to appear. Took one look at those and that was enough for me. I collected a little during BW, but Beasts really aren't my flavor. RID brought me back. If not for RID, I wouldn't still be collecting today..

I just realized that since we're getting a TF trilogy, lets assume the 3rd film is released in 6-7 years. I'll be almost 40. :( 

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    ^^what he said.

17. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

I would be about...ooohhh...negative five years old in 1984. I grew up on Beast Wars and RID but only got into Transformers with RID and I didn't see Beast Machines as "Transformers".

I only saw the G1 cartoon last year after finding a few episodes.

18. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

I guess I was targeted audience.
    I was 8 years old back in 84...

19. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    I was 5 in 1984. So my very impressible little 5 year old mind was molded.

20. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I was born in 1980 so I was probably around 4 when it came out and loved it, can't think of how many great toys I had back then that got smashed or broken. I followed it all the way till the end and then when G2 came out I was hooked again but this time a bit older to know what to look for like Devastator since I didnt have him originally, my collecting has always gone in cycles.