Which of you WEREN'T a kid in 1980s?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Screambug, May 3, 2007.

1. Screambug

Screambug King of Transformers

I was already 13 when the Transformers came out for the very first time in 1984 and I was also a girl at the time. So, I wasn't exactly part of the target audience the cartoon was originally aiming for, but I had a little female friend (about six years younger) who used to collect and play with Transformers. So I took a look and got hooked all the way to Season 3 in the fall of 1986 (pretty sad the way some of the best characters were missing, though. Never saw the movie at least until 2000, BTW.)

Today, we have more than a few TF fans who WEREN'T growing up in 1980s (some were even in young adulthood at the time, too!) So please raise your hand if you weren't THAT young back then and proudly holler that you're still a Transfan after all.:) 

And, as well as fans who were teens and even adults in the 1980s, there's also the group of G1 fans who weren't even born by the time Season 3 ended. So raise your hand here, too!:thumb 

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I was born in '88, and never saw an episode of G1 until a couple of years ago, and saw the movie just last year. I admit, it was ok for it's time, but it's not my cup of tea. Beast Wars got me into TF's and until Cybertron came along, I was an off/on fan. I started my collection about halfway threw Cybertron.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I was not born in the eighties, but I have been known to know more about G1 than other people who were. (nobody on these boards though.)

BW is my start, BM was my finish, RID got me with the toys and I couldn't resist Mini-cons. E-Megatron stopped me from turning and Cybertron's toys kept me guided, I then watched all of G1 twice on youtube. The rest, is history.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hang on. you said that last bit like youre no longer a girl now?! o_O  i'm confused.

also, damn, this thread is like for old people, ew.

(also also, the previously 2 posters are like totally missed the point of the original posts XD)

(also also also, i think hiro was in high school, while backpack(? - i always confuse him with backscatter) was like in college or sumin, damn)

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I'm not old, I just wanted to belong...

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    56' . I was in my twenties when it all started. Imagine being at the start of the TFs with a well paying job and having enough enough to support the hobby? My life hasn't been the same since I picked up G1 Smokescreen and Jetfire back in early 85.

7. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

well, i was the target audience... i was 7 when they came out and was hooked from that day on.

8. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I was 15 in '85, and even then I was resistant to the "you're too old for toys" argument. I was buying TF's' MOTU and ACTION FORCE (GI JOE to you foreign chappies!) on a regular basis. While my TF buying has waxed & waned over the years, I've been buying 'toys' of some kind ever since.

9. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I was 12 in 84.

10. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I was 20 in 84. I've collected them ever since. I was a little hesitant when Beast Wars first came out but season two got me hooked with the storyline.
    When I first saw that people were Kitbashing TFs I couldn't believe someone would do that to a TF toy but then I came around to that, as well.

I have a large collection (that I have never counted) mostly sitting in rubbermaid containers and I usually buy a second toy (so I have an origonal) if I kitbash one. But may be over now since I am laid off but I am going to my first Botcon. I have the time but not a lot of extra cash.

When I first started purchasing TFs, I was bothered alot that I shouldn't since I was older but I eventually got over that too.

Now that you know, that I am old Man, Are you still a female or did you have a sex change? ha ha. had to ask.

11. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    I was borned in 86, I didn't start by watching the season 1, instead I started with the movie, as my 9 years old brother (1992 that time) made me watched it every evening.

12. knook

knook Let the Virus Consume You

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i was born in 1993 so im a child of the Beast Wars - Generation 2 era

13. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was born on the last day of the 70's, making me 4 when TF's came out, got an Optimus Prime and Megatron for Christmas that year and I have been with TF's ever since. A life long love :) 

14. Slamdance

Slamdance The Sustainable 'Bot

I was born in 1989, so i'm more of a G2 -> beastwars guy. I also first saw the movie around '99/2000.

15. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I missed being born in the 60's by just over a month :)  When TF's came out and had already been a collector of robot toys for several years. I got hooked since I was already collecting Diaclone & Microman / Microchange :) 

16. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I was 8 when TF hit the air so this thread is really not for me.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

17. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I'm the same age as you. I really enjoyed the 1st few years of the Transformers and remember the excitement when I got the comic book issues for the movie... It was pretty much such a disappointment that they killed off so many characters that I never saw the movie until many year later - Sometime in the late 90's.

Anyway, about that time I discovered the Robotech show and that held my interest as the Transformers started it's quality decline both show and toy-wise. It was a series originally aimed at teens rather than kids... Not that the toy marketing people in the US ever figured that out... Matchbox thought they were going to sell tons of Robotech toys - I happily snapped them up on clearance!

18. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I was apart of the target audience, I was 7 in 1984. Like a lot of other youths who would become artists and engineers, I was helplessly mesmerized by these robots that could change their shape at will. Jazz, Blaster and the 80's animated equivalent of John Wayne, Optimus Prime, were my favorites.

19. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was 3...damnit!! I didn't catch onto the show until it was too late...though my parents did manage to buy me a Powermaster Prime and "maybe" a G1 Prime...and a WeirdWolf...So I always have these nostalgic memories of those 3 toys...But they never did follow me through life...neither did the 80's Voltron which I had...but lost...but at least I was alive...YAHHH!!!

20. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

i was born in 85 so i only got the tail end of g1, but still my fave because they re-aired all the episodes for g2

luckily transformers were a shelf warmer in my town so i got a few g1 gems like roadbuster and shockwave despite the tardiness.