Which MP Starscream to buy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jetstorm, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Well I decided to collect the Masterpiece Transformers, since they're really cool (I've had the MP Prime that came with the sound base for the 20th Anniversary of the movie for a few years now and he's lonely lol) and there aren't THAT many of them so I can get, like, one a month without feeling like I'm spending too much.

So anyway, I'm obviously going to get Megatron, even though I've heard he's such a bitch to transform. The pictures I've seen of him and even his accessories are very awesome-looking.

Naturally I want to get Starscream, but which one should I get? Are there any major differences between the original Takara one and the Hasbro one? Thanks for your help!

2. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    At the risk of stating the obvious...the Hasbro version is show-accurate in color, the Takara is not.

That should be the primary determinant of which one you want to get (aside from cost). I don't have the Takara MP Starscream...I have the Takara release of the Hasbro version.

It's another discussion if you don't care about the color.

By the way, I have a MISB hasbro MP starscream, if you are interested :cool: 

3. Sludge

Sludge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have both and I absolutely prefer the Hasbro version. The Takara version is so boring and bland. Like Mobb One said, the Hasbro version is show accurate. The Takara version is more realistic.

4. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    I use to own Greenscream but got rid of him during the 2007 Movie boom. He's a pretty cool figure, very nice paint job. He's no longer available at retail so you'll be paying secondary market prices for him.

The Hasbro release represents Starscream as he appeared on the cartoon but he looks more orange than red. It's also more recognizable as being Starscream and he'll cost you much less. TakTomy later released the same figure in USA packaging but the differences are minimal.

5. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    I'd go with the Hasbro G1-colored version. Looks a lot better IMO.

6. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Yup, as stated, the Hasbro (Wal-Mart?) version is Screamer. The Takara original release went the wrong way, trying to make him a realistic looking F-15 as opposed to the cartoon accuracy...which of course makes means the Hasbro version is a silly colored F-15 in the real world, but show accurate. However, that mold served them well in releasing the Skywarp and Thundercracker repaints... they both look wicked in both modes.

Go with the cheaper, yet accurate Hasbro version. Also note, as was mentioned in another thread, that the plastic feels lighter and more brittle. It's because the Takara releases come with a gloss finish, which increases its density.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Yeah go with Hasbro MP SS because it's show accurate (and I got one that I want to sell. Hint Hint)

8. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    save urself some money and go for the hasbro one.. its wat i have, and in my opinion, its much better... ur not buying an MP starscream for it to look like a real F-15, are u? u want it to look like the G1 starscream.. and hasbro wins that one, obviously.. its wat i own, and its the only MP starscrea i recommend.. unless u want a complete MP collection :D 

9. Seeker24

Seeker24 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Gotta go with Hasbro. it also cost me a whole lot less then the Takara would have.

10. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Megatron is a must have. That's for sure. Just make sure you find one that hasn't been ruined with the orange plug.

As for Starscream... eh... get the Hasbro one first. Then, when you decide you have to get the Seekers too, pick up Greenscream.

11. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely the Wal-mart Hasbro one. With a little cleaning up he'll really be show accurate if you get the weathering off of him.

12. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    oh yeah, megs will make a fine companion to ur MP prime too

13. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i got the takara release of the hasbro version, less weathering, but i hear a lot of complaints about cracked wing joints on greenscream, go with the g1 colored one

14. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Wow... so Hasbro actually made the more show-accurate version instead of Takara? That's the first time I've ever heard that xD

Ok thanks for the advice guys!

15. chaoseffect

chaoseffect Custom TF builder

Walmart one, all the way.

Thing is, the nose of the jet is painted silver. A little bit of rubbing alcohol, and you can remove it. Odd thing is, it's blue under the silver. They got it right with the blue nose, but painted over it. Odd.

But a phenomenal figure, nonetheless.

One thing. This is a TAKARA version of the WALMART G1 toon accurate Starscream. The difference is the rear wings have longer points on them, so it's a more accurate jet, but a bit more fragile than the US version.

Hope this helps!

16. Zapp Brannigan

Zapp Brannigan Member

There's also a Decepticon symbol on the nose of the Takara USA Edition, which the Walmart version lacks.

17. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup, my vote goes to the G1-colored Hasbro version. The Takara MP looks more like Deep Sea Thundercracker than Starscream.

I have Skywarp and Thundercracker too (well, I have all the MP's), and those are also very slick. Skywarp and Thundercracker have stickers you can apply, while the US Starscream has no stickers (thankfully, since I hate applying stickers). Also, since difference in plastic was noted, my Starscream has actually fallen a few times (twice just slipping and falling on his face on the glass shelf I had him on; once or twice over the side but onto my bed) and he's still in one piece. Hardly a perilous fall on any occasion, but he seems sturdier than he looks considering he survived without a scratch or anything. He can be a pain for me to stand, but I leave all the Seekers off the stands they come with so trying to balance them on their feet can be a pain unless they're on something to gain some traction. You may want to put yours on the stand in a 'flying' motion, just for the sake of convenience, but that'll be up to you of course.

18. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    If you didn't decide to buy from a board member, I was looking at Lost and Found Toys the other day and they are doing some liquidation, they have the Anime version going for what I think is a decent price. I havent really checked ebay to see if what they are going for and I got mine at retail, but $65 seemed decent to me. Bought from LAF a few times and never been disapointed.

Transformers Masterpiece Starscream - USA Edition Lost and Found Toys

19. AMG

AMG Old School

I would go with the Hasbro version.

20. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

i have hasbro SS and takara TC. i prefer TC.. it just feels more solid and heavier than my SS... my SS's legs feel a bit loose and fragile. i don't have any QC issue with my TC other than the reverse boobs.

one thing i like about SS is there is no stickers and G1 accuracy.

in plane mode, i prefer SS because there is no "step on" writings all over the plane like TC...

Both figures are great imo.