Which MP Shockwave to keep?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by usernamedustin, Aug 19, 2016.

?

Which Shockwave is the MP Shockwave?

1. Laserwave

38.9%
  2. Quakewave

25.0%
  3. Trash em both and get Quakeblast

29.5%
  4. Sell them all and quit collecting.

6.6%
  1. usernamedustin

usernamedustin 3P Scourgatron KO. Has Die-Cast and Ankle-Tilts.

I try to only have one version of any character to keep my collecting at a manageable/displayable level. I usually go for whatever, in my mind, is the definitive version of a character. To me, Quakewave is Shockwave of the Comics and Laserwave is Shockwave of the Toons. This is the first time I have had any issues deciding what to keep. What did you guys go with and what do you think looks best with my MP Decepticons?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. XOC2008

XOC2008 Wait! I still function!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Quakeblast is superior. It's only logical. :) 

3. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This isn't meant to sound insulting...but judging your choices for the Insecticons and Reflector, I would vote you keep Laserwave.

I think they all gel together aesthetically.

I actually prefer Quakewave, but he has a more "toy masterpiece" vibe that I prefer with my MP collection.

[​IMG]

4. usernamedustin

How can it be an insult when you are answering what I asked?
    This I why I posted pics of my collection. I think Laserwave fits in really well with my MPs, but I kind of like Quakewave as a figure more. Pros and cons to both. I really try to stick to the one figure per character rule for myself. I collect other things and have to manage space.

I really like your then and now display.

5. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

MP-29 is by far the best looking Shockwave to me and the only one I bought but Quakeblast seems good if you want a different, more beefy look for yours. Since you already own the MP, I'd just keep that one. Quakewave looks the worst to me.

But it's your collection so our opinions shouldn't matter. Keep the one you like better. If it were me and I owned both, I'd just keep them both.

6. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter TFW2005 Supporter

Quakeblast is awesome, the best bargain of my collection by a long way.
    Having said that quakewave is still a good figure, so unless you really need to change it up I'd just keep him.

7. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 I'm a girl, not a boy.

News Credits:
    a big, damp, foggy island nor-noreast of Ushant
    Ebay:
    I'd choose MP-29, but I am a big toon fan. I still like Quakewave but he's so dated now. Those tree trunk legs are terrible. The only thing that MP-29 has against him is the awful colour (in my opinion). I did get mine customised, but sadly the paint is fragile.

Quakeblast is cool, but not for me. I have no attachment to the Marvel version of the character really.

8. kollekxon

kollekxon Well-Known Member

I've got all three versions of Wave and my least favorite is MP Laserwave. Its the shade of purple (too light) and the thin feel of the plastic. For me LW doesn't feel on par with the other 2.
    QW is a very solid figure and its one of the first 3rd party figures I bought. The color is very close to the cartoon. Where he fails is the feet/legs. I wish those matched the cartoon. You could keep QW and be happy.
    QB is big and the lower legs are better than QW. This is how I envision Shockwave. Its not toon accurate though, but this figure really stands out. There's a lot to like.
    If you can get QB for a really good price then good, but I do think that FT did a great job.

If I could only keep one it would be QB.

9. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter TFW2005 Supporter

10. Turnman

Turnman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quakewave has aged horribly. The unpainted diecast looks slapped on and both Fanstoys and Takara’s lack of paint diminish the MP look and feel. Quakeblast is dirt cheap, is fully painted and has the light gimmicks if you are into that plus is the most posable. It certainly pulls the comic look.

In this very exhaustive comparative review you can see them all together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjX2pqeQMK0

11. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

Is Laserwave the name of the official MP?

Quake blast would be my choice if I had only one I could keep. I never liked the look of the official enough to buy one, but I still have my V1 Quakewave and my Quakeblast I got for an absolute steal of a deal. I am keeping both. I also had a rule once upon a time about 1 version of each character. I have loosened up the rules a bit. :) 

Most recently I had Quakeblast in my season 1 MP display and had a small 2 bot display of Quakewave with the iGear Sunstorm. They look great together IMO.

12. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    It depends what you want. Do you want the shockwave that defeated the dinobots and megatron or do you want puss-boy shockwave that was a lackey?

13. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 I'm a girl, not a boy.

News Credits:
    a big, damp, foggy island nor-noreast of Ushant
    Ebay:
    I love him...

[​IMG]

but THIS is the figure he should have been :( 

[​IMG]

14. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

Until early this year, I never owned any Shockwave figure, G1 or otherwise.
    Now I have 3 :( 
    At the moment on my shelf only Quakeblast is displayed and the other 2 are in there original packaging tucked somewhere in the cupboards. Had I had the choice and known that QB would have been released just after QW reissue, I probably would only have 2 Shockwave now.
    Since I think the official looks pretty cool, but not enough to warrant shelf space.

So I say, dump Quakewave and Laserwave, and go for the big chunky guy in that deep rich purple attire !!!

15. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

Ohh, that's nice !!!

I've been thinking about painting mine as well , that exactly how the figure should have been !!

16. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Enabler

News Credits:
    I say keep em all.

[​IMG]

But that's just me.

17. usernamedustin

Goddammit.
    Yes.

18. CLM

CLM Well-Known Member

I don't mean to be annoying... but.

"Which Shockwave is the MP Shockwave?"

The question as posted has only one answer even if you don't like that particular figure at all as there is only one MP Shockwave.. There are two other very nice options available which could very well be your Masterpiece Shockwave but they are not "the Masterpiece Shockwave" ;) 

19. usernamedustin

Anytime someone says, "i don't mean to be______, but....", _______ is always what they are trying to be.

There isn't a masterpiece shockwave. There is a masterpiece laserwave, a cloud 9 quakeblast, and a fanstoys quakewave. People seem to just pick one of those three to stand in for mp shockwave.

20. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

I had Quakewave since almost the very beginning. And when Laserwave came out, I swapped out QW from my Decepticon display. Looking at my display for months, I found myself missing QW.

I think that LW looks very cheap, due to the lack of molded and painted details, the ugly lilac color that makes up like 90% of the figure, and the lack of contrast in his color scheme.

Granted, Takara MP figures now are going for a much more toon aesthetic than before, so in that regard, they succeeded. Unfortunately, Shockwave is painfully bland-looking due to that. And to me, sticks out like a sore thumb. It looks great, but now Takara is going to want everyone to buy MP+ versions of all of the older characters.

QW has the better contrast, with the darker purple and the silver thighs. But his legs are blocky, which does not do a good enough job of replicating Shockwave's signature curves. So in a group display, you can set up some shorter figures, (like Reflectors or Insecticons) in front of QW's legs, so that you don't see them, as a way of dealing with that issue.

[​IMG]

My sort of philosophy for how I look at MP figures...there are two types of G1 toon accuracy. Good toon accuracy (idealized), and bad toon accuracy (stuff that doesn't translate well when brought into 3D real life).

Good accuracy, is nailing the character's face, proportions, and their silhouette. I want it too look as if it were based off of a really talented animator/artist's drawing from an official high budget TF movie. Such as the quality designs from several key shots from the 1986 animated movie, or better.

I understand that what I think looks cool, might not be what the toy designer feels. Also, compromises usually have to be made due to the transformation engineering. For LW, the light purple with light grey, mixed with minimal details was a design choice that I feel brings it down from it's full potential.