Which MP characters have been nailed?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by the oaf, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Scyla

Scyla Well-Known Member

I disagree slightly on Primal because of the lackluster elbow joints. Otherwise I do think Takara nailed him.

However I strongly disagree on Starsaber which is a piece of junk. I would replace him in a heartbeat if MMC, Maketoys or Fanstoys would do one.

2. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alpha Pack IS amazing, but there's actually not that much paint on it I think? Some nice detailing here and there but most of it's unpainted plastic. It just has a really great metallic finish to it. Their Megatron on the other hand IS covered in paint. Shading and weathering on pretty much every panel, amazing detailing, intricate tampo's all over. I have absolutely no connection to the War Within story or characters, but these two still rank as easily in my top ten figures of all time.
    NOPE. Nope, nope nopity nope.
    MP Primal is good and all but there is no way in hell he's the "be all and end all" of that character. Much too kibbly, panel lines and gaps all over the beast mode, bits of robot sticking out the back of the beast mode.
    Sure, he's the best we've had so far, but to say he'll never be beaten is embracing the lazy ideals that gave us that tired "with triple changers, one mode HAS to be weaker" argument. We've seen with some of the MP Springers, and arguably with at least one of the MP Blitzwings, that you can make a triple changer that looks great in all three modes. Just like we've seen Combiners that are solid, articulated and well designed in all modes. These designers are getting better with each passing year and learning off each other at an amazing rate. I refuse to beleive that in 5, 10 or 50 years, they can't do better than MP Primal. And that's why I don't think any figure has been truly "nailed". They can always be improved upon. It may take 100 years and the invention of solid light holograms to give us true mass shifting, but things can always be done better.

3. beardy

beardy Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

I don't think they've even been teased by the companies you've mentioned.

4. Balzari

Balzari Well-Known Member

IMO the following are all practically perfect aesthetically and cannot be significantly bettered mold-wise.
    I'm not taking into account build quality or engineering which, with enough money can always be improved.
    TT Inferno/Grapple
    TT Star Saber
    TT Shockwave
    TT Soundwave
    TT Tracks
    Special mention to:
    TT Megatron (Perfect from all angles apart from the back)
    TT Ironhide/Ratchet (Perfect apart from the hip skirts)
    FT Stomp (Perfect apart from the shape of the dino legs)

5. Meister61

Meister61 Starscreams Ghost

Mp Soundwave
    Mp bb
    Mp datsuns
    Mt head and target masters
    Mt Megatron minus the head and q.c. issues
    Ft galvatron
    Ft sludge
    KFC junkions
    Sprktoyz grimmegsprime
    Mp10 can easily be perfected with slight changes to the mold
    Xtb cyclonus and sweeps
    C9 qb

Also personally, any jetfire that doesn't look like vf macross valkyrie looks like shit by default.

6. Meister61

Meister61 Starscreams Ghost

Also the only hastak tf that isn't an overpriced hollow p.o....

How can hollow carbots be more expensive that mp01? Or those shitty seekers and mp10/36 be twice as expensive for half the quality and size?

They definitely found what they were looking for with the mp line. The pricings are the biggest scam imho.

7. the oaf

the oaf Well-Known Member

I guess I should have clarified my question better (and not added “in your opinion”), as I wanted this to be fairly objective.

I know that there’s probably never going to be a figure that ticks 100% of the boxes for 100% of the collectors, but there have been some figures so good that since they were released, no other company seems to have deemed the character worth tackling. Regardless of whether they can produce something even better, from a purely financial perspective will they generate enough sales to warrant the investment, when so many people in their target audience are already satisfied with the current offering and not likely to upgrade.

Figures that come to mind in particular when I made my original list, and I’m aware that not everyone may personally like these, are the TT Datsun brothers, TT Wheeljack, Fantoys Sovereign, Fanstoys Tesla, Badcube Wardog. Since these figures have been released, there’s not been even a hint of further competition.

Where there are multiple good (but not perfect) offerings of the same character, there will always be two camps depending on which version tickled an individual’s sensibilities, so clearly the character hasn’t got an overall winning figure. With Hound, for example, some people have stated their preference for either Fanstoys Willis or Maketoys Gundog. Nothing has been released since these came out, but as they’ve gone for different styles, there’s not one you can say has triumphed.

TT grapple and Inferno seem to very popular, but Maketoys and MMC’s offerings were also very good and have a good fan base, and XTB still has theirs to come with enough people looking forward to them, so there’s no winner here either.

Even where there were characters which had offerings where one or more was clearly sub-par (such as Sunstreaker or Jazz); because those underdog figures have a strong enough fan base, then you can’t say that the “better” figure got it completely right.

I just thought it would be nice to compile a list of figures where, it seems, the fight is over. A certain figure was released, and (even though it might not be perfect or what certain individuals may want to see from that character) realistically we don’t expect to see anyone else throw their hat in the ring for a while. For now, if you want a Galvatron for example, you have to get Fanstoys Sovereign. If you want a Warpath, you have to get Badcube’s Wardog. For these characters, these figures are “it”. Nothing else comes close and we don’t expect to see anything else for a while. Do we really expect to see anyone else take a shot at Jetfire, Blaster or Beachcomber anytime soon?

I could only list the figures in my collection I believe hit those marks, so was hoping others could fill in the blanks like the later Japanese stuff, Headmasters/Targetmaster, etc, and Beast Wars.

Also edited into the first post.

8. Scyla

Scyla Well-Known Member

Well by going by purely this definition XTBs Tailgate is nailing it because no other company has announced one. Not even Takara so he mist be perfect right? :p 

• Like Like x 1
  9. King Nergil

King Nergil Ruler of Sub-Atlantica

:eek:  UT Sworder

10. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 I'm a girl, not a boy.

News Credits:
    a big, damp, foggy island nor-noreast of Ushant
    Ebay:
    You'd be hard pressed to find one without nails- I think they all have nails holding them together in one way or another.

11. Scyla

Scyla Well-Known Member

Topics like this will always be heavily influenced by opinions.

Starsaber for example.

Let's assume Lazyazas* toy stands high atop a shelf and every time he passes by he thinks: wow this captures the essence of the character despite his floppy joints, hollow legs and missing finish. He is perfect.

When I pass by my Starsaber high atop my shelf I think: what a shitty toy. It possesses none of the qualities I want in my toys with his floppy joints, hollow legs and missing finish. I would replace him without a second thought.

Both evaluations are based on facts but both come to a different result because we want different things from our toys. I agree that MP Starsaber captures the essence of Starsaber but I still despise it.

You could, of course, collect the data from this thread and apply some kind of metric to rate all MP toys but that metric will not be the end all be all of the discussion.

I for myself like to discuss with other people on their opinions that's why I decided to reply to Lazyazas* statement.

* sorry for dragging you into this :)  I don't know if that is what you value in Starsaber or if he is high atop a shelf.

12. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    FT's Skyfire
    Takara MP Beast wars
    FT's Dino's
    Evything else , there's room for improvement.

13. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

You think that's because they are so good? Really? I guess Sovereign is pretty good, but there was already another announced before it was even released and TT is all but guaranteed to do one. Tesla is mostly crapped on regularly and considered by many (most?) to be FT's worst effort. And Wardog has a widely split reception.

14. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    I don't go by whether or not somebody else has done a figure... I'm going by whether the character has (in my opinion) been rendered 'definitively' in a 3-dimensional form. By that I mean, you get it and think "this IS ______, no need to add that character to my collection anymore." So... not placeholders, not "good enough"... nailed.

Scourge - XTB Eligos (I honestly don't even see FT surpassing this, it's basically perfect aside from the foot transformation)
    Galvatron - FT Tyrant
    Cyclonus - none yet - looks like PerfectFusion might be though
    Blitzwing - none yet - if KFC puts out a v2 with better colors and fixed knees, they get this one
    Octane - looks to be Keith's, but let's wait for QC
    Astrotrain - none yet
    Seekers - Yes Model's are the best available of what's out already, but Howling Meteor makes me feel like the definitive Seeker mold has yet to be created.
    Coneheads - see above, except ToyWorld's nail the toy look. A bit big though
    Soundwave - MP Soundwave (official)
    Ravage - MMC Ocular Max Remix
    Lazerbeak/Buzzsaw - official MP versions
    Ratbat - official version
    Rumble/Frenzy - none yet - MMC might get this, if not officials are pretty spot on
    Megatron - YMMV, I say official... many may say 'none yet'
    Insecticons - none yet. I have 2 sets of the BadCube and LOVE them, and honestly prefer their looks to FT's, but I still think the characters can be made to look more on-model in robot mode. MMC's look great but they're too off-model to really nail the characters. (If you have no MP Insecticons, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND BBTS' sale on the Evil Bug Corps deluxe editions)
    Shockwave - Quakeblast (toy), Official (cartoon)
    Reflector - KFC Reflectrons (the only reflector that looks show accurate in both modes)
    Devastator - ToyWorld Constructor - any nitpicks you have in pics disappear once it's in hand, it's awesome
    Sixshot - none yet (FT probably, though I hate the mid-thigh cuts)
    Quintessons - Impossible Toys Quint-01
    Sharkticons - none yet (I have the iGear Sharkies and they work great for my display but they're too off-model to be definitive, in both modes)

Optimus Prime - official ... but the best version is the oversized MPP-10
    Ironhide - I like the official with the Shadow Fisher upgrade but still don't think it's fully 'nailed'... the improvements Black Apple designed which move the chrome bumper off his torso are more nailed to me IMO.
    Ratchet - VooDooRobots Salus. Yes I know he has feet-windows. No I don't care.
    Bumblebee - none yet. MP Bee is aaaalmost there but I actually think it could be done better. The fact that ToyWorld Bii is pretty much just as good IMO means this competition is still open.
    Cliffjumper - none yet
    Jazz - MakeToys Downbeat, although I think Takara will top it, it still feels pretty definitive
    Hound - FT Willis
    Wheeljack - official
    Huffer - Cubex/BadCube Huff (each one is slightly more show accurate in a specific mode but either hits the mark)
    Windcharger - XTB (people have issue with it mainly due to transformation and some colors but honestly what about this doesn't absolutely nail the show model look in both modes?)
    Gears - BadCube Grump
    Brawn - BadCube Brawny
    Prowl, Bluestreak, Smokescreen - official
    Sideswipe/Red Alert - none yet. I want new versions of these characters with improved engineering to collapse the chest (think MT's Jazz)
    Trailbreaker - XTB Aegis with KFC Seeker hands, though I could see Takara one-upping them
    Perceptor - none yet (FT's is good enough but I feel like it could theoretically be done better)
    Blaster/Twincast - none yet (I really enjoy my KFC Transistor and Doubledeck, and they're certainly good enough but I think Takara will absolutely nail the show model)
    Rewind/Eject - KFC
    Tracks - MP (it kind of sucks as a toy but it DOES nail both modes)
    Hoist - XTB Paean
    Inferno - official, if you don't mind the lack of detail. Otherwise none yet (I like MMC's robot mode but the vehicle mode is off-model)
    Grapple - official, no question... it has just a little more detail than Inferno but that goes a long way towards making it look better
    Hubcap - none yet, I like Ace Toys version but it has proportion issues
    Warpath - none yet, I LOVE BadCube's and think that's how it SHOULD look so I'm not looking to upgrade but it's NOT the show model
    Beachcomber - XTB, full stop
    Grimlock - Reximus Prime (KO OS official version)
    All other dinobots - Fanstoys/PerfectFusion Iron Dibots
    Skyfire - none yet (FT's 'heroic proportions' are off to me)
    Seaspray - none yet (ToyWorld's was closest IMO but the colors were off)
    Powerglide - DX9 Richthofen
    Cosmos - XTB Klaatu (weirdly, I prefer both other versions, but Klaatu is clearly the most like the show model in both modes)
    Rodimus Prime - official
    Hot Rod - none yet ... official sucks in robot mode, FT sucks in car mode
    Blurr - none yet
    Kup - none yet (FT I dont' like the split chest, KFC's head is too small)
    Springer - none yet, though KFC's is looking reeeealllly good
    Ultra Magnus - official is the most 'accurate' but I actually display my official one in vehicle mode... my robot mode is Citizen Stack with upgraded head. less accurate but cooler looking
    Arcee - none yet
    Wreck-Gar - KFC Crash Hog
    Wheelie - XTB Ollie
    Star Saber - official (with KFC upgrades)
    Victory Leo - KFC Simba
    Chromedome - MakeToys Cupola
    Hardhead - MakeToys
    Pointblank - MakeToys Contact Shot

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  15. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    mmc idw overlord: untouchable.

16. Have A Cygar

Have A Cygar Well-Known Member

The import price for the Takara MP01 with trailer in 2003 was around $280. The U.S. Hasbro version without trailer retailed for around $80 in 2003, which is around $106 in today's prices. Considering changes in the market, such as inflation, and big increases in plastic costs, plus the fact that most of the current Masterpiece figures have only been released in Japanese and Asian markets, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that current Masterpiece figures are way overpriced compared to MP01. Also, while they may not be the solid chunks of metal and plastic that MP01 was, the engineering that went into many of the recent MPs is way beyond what they accomplished with MP01.

17. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

TT:
    Soundwave
    Shockwave
    Ultra Magnus
    Bumblebee
    Star Saber (I don't own but seems as good as anyone could want)

KFC:
    Junkions
    Horrorcons (I don't own but seem as good as anyone could want)

XTB:
    Megatron (Other releases have shown the transformation could be better engineered but we most likely will not see a better looking Megatron for a very long time)
    Scourge & Sweeps
    Cyclonus
    Beachcomber
    Cosmos

BC:
    Warpath

GP:
    Slag

Some others worth mentioning:
    BC and FT Insecticons depending on which ones and what style you like...both seem pretty good in different ways but neither seem good and definitive enough for me to purchase.
    FT Swoop...other than the ugly face, it's their best looking design to date in both modes and isn't hindered as much by the smaller size.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  18. beardy

beardy Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Haha. Yes - correct, read what is asked in the very first post and what the original poster has laid out as the definition of 'nailed it' for this thread.
    The original criteria for 'nailed it' was laid out in the original post of the thread.
    XTB Tailgate is shite like the rest of their products but by definition of the criteria the OP put out, they have 'nailed' it.
    So yeah, you're correct in what you say.
    It's not my opinion by the way... I'm just sticking to what was asked. Opinions were not asked for. Criteria was defined instead.
    If it was opinion based, a lot of the robots mentioned - in my opinion - would not even be labeled MP. Like MMC Impactor.
    XTB Ollie. Pile of crap but I don't see any others announced so it's in the 'nailed it' catergory for the moment. Yuck.

Nailed it was probably the wrong phrase to use in retrospect.

• Like Like x 1
  19. the oaf

the oaf Well-Known Member

Okay, maybe the word “Nailed” was wrong. Some of the characters mentioned clearly have room for improvement… but they might just be the best we’ll get, whether you like it or not. So they may well be “nailed” as in they’re the best we’re going to get for those particular characters.

And I never used the word “perfect” to describe any of the figures. Simply put, at this moment, if you want MP renditions of certain G1 characters, there is only one option available and nothing even hinted at on the horizon… if you want a Tailgate, Sandstorm, Warpath or Perceptor, the figures mentioned are your only option at the moment. You can take the risk that another attempt may be made in the future, but you may find yourselves out of luck. Let’s face it, the tier two and three characters are unlikely to get the “wars” between brands we’ve seen with other more popular characters, TT themselves seem to be gradually moving away from G1, and given the recent news of IP infringement prosecution actually starting to be upheld in China, anyone waiting could end up being disappointed… but then, they’d be disappointed if they bought a figure that they didn’t like anyway.

XTB Hatch is a “fine” Tailgate for my collection. He looks the part and I haven’t had any QC issues, but he’s a low priority character, so even if someone else produces a version, I’m unlikely to swap out. Honestly, I prefer Maketoys Rear End by far, and if one had to go… it’d be XTB.

20. nomolos

nomolos Well-Known Member

The definitive toy is the one that you love on your shelf. To me, toyworld bii with a different head is a better BB than the official (who also needed a different face just to be okay). TT fairlady and sound wave mold is my idea of perfect. Ft nailed Hound and Bombshell, but missed it on their dibots. The chrome doesn't match, the size is all wrong etc. They hit skyfire so hard it hurts but kickback is a pain in the ass. Make toys made a perfect jazz and perceptor FOR ME, but that inferno and hound are just horrible TO ME. Mp Optimus is a good stand in at best because he gets more wrong than the new BC huffer in bot mode. So I'm gonna agree with the people who said their is no such thing as a "nailed" character.