Which MP characters have been nailed?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by the oaf, Sep 12, 2017.

1. the oaf

the oaf Well-Known Member

By “nailed” I mean since a particular mold has been released, no other company has even teased their version of that character. They may not be definitive, but they’re pretty close and for most of us, to trade up, something almost unimaginably good would have to come along to outshine the current offering.

I reckon the following are “it” as far as MP interpretations go:
    HasTak – Bumblebee, Prowl, Bluestreak, Wheeljack, Sideswipe, Smokescreen, Red Alert, Tracks, Soundwave
    Fanstoys – Jetfire, Perceptor, Galvatron
    Badcube – Brawn, Gears, Warpath
    Mech Ideas – Topspin, Twin Twist, Ironfist
    MMC – Mirage, Impactor
    XTB – Windcharger, Beachcomber
    KFC – Blaster

Can you think of any other?

In your opinion, of course.
    I guess I should have clarified my question better (and not added “in your opinion”), as I wanted this to be fairly objective.

I know that there’s probably never going to be a figure that ticks 100% of the boxes for 100% of the collectors, but there have been some figures so good that since they were released, no other company seems to have deemed the character worth tackling. Regardless of whether they can produce something even better, from a purely financial perspective will they generate enough sales to warrant the investment, when so many people in their target audience are already satisfied with the current offering and not likely to upgrade.

Figures that come to mind in particular when I made my original list, and I’m aware that not everyone may personally like these, are the TT Datsun brothers, TT Wheeljack, Fantoys Sovereign, Fanstoys Tesla, Badcube Wardog. Since these figures have been released, there’s not been even a hint of further competition.

Where there are multiple good (but not perfect) offerings of the same character, there will always be two camps depending on which version tickled an individual’s sensibilities, so clearly the character hasn’t got an overall winning figure. With Hound, for example, some people have stated their preference for either Fanstoys Willis or Maketoys Gundog. Nothing has been released since these came out, but as they’ve gone for different styles, there’s not one you can say has triumphed.

TT grapple and Inferno seem to very popular, but Maketoys and MMC’s offerings were also very good and have a good fan base, and XTB still has theirs to come with enough people looking forward to them, so there’s no winner here either.

Even where there were characters which had offerings where one or more was clearly sub-par (such as Sunstreaker or Jazz); because those underdog figures have a strong enough fan base, then you can’t say that the “better” figure got it completely right.

I just thought it would be nice to compile a list of figures where, it seems, the fight is over. A certain figure was released, and (even though it might not be perfect or what certain individuals may want to see from that character) realistically we don’t expect to see anyone else throw their hat in the ring for a while. For now, if you want a Galvatron for example, you have to get Fanstoys Sovereign. If you want a Warpath, you have to get Badcube’s Wardog. For these characters, these figures are “it”. Nothing else comes close and we don’t expect to see anything else for a while. Do we really expect to see anyone else take a shot at Jetfire, Blaster or Beachcomber anytime soon?

I could only list the figures in my collection I believe hit those marks, so was hoping others could fill in the blanks like the later Japanese stuff, Headmasters/Targetmaster, etc, and Beast Wars.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Agree with most expect FT Tesla, he's terrible.

• Like Like x 2
  3. beardy

beardy Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Takara Soundwave.

Fanstoys canned theirs pretty soon after if I remember rightly

Edit - just saw he was on the list anyhow - duh

I think Impactor is Generations scale rather than MP scale isn't he?

• Like Like x 2
  4. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Dibots minus Grinder, Fanstoys bugs, this new DX9 Powerglide.......

5. paul5409

paul5409 Omega Sentinel

This.

6. Swindlle

Swindlle Well-Known Member

Mp inferno , grapple and Ft Willis
    Ft sovereign

• Like Like x 2
  7. the oaf

the oaf Well-Known Member

Just got a new face for mine, and he looks great. Plus, where's the competition? He's all there is and looks pretty perfect. Can't see me swapping him out if anything else comes along.

I think he works well for both scales.

I didn't include any of those, as for the Dibots and bugs, there are a lot of people who prefer the Giga and Badcube offerings respectively, and there are still the MMc bugs to come... and for Powerglide it's too early to say yet, as he's just been released and we know there's still a XTB version on the horizon.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

Mine has a light grey grapple face and he's still rubbish. Plastic which sounds like polystyrene when you move it. American football player shoulders. I just don't see Perceptors personality in it what so ever.
    Out of all my 3rd party figures he's easily the most disappointing.

9. Devastator21

Devastator21 Fanstoys zombie

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    What's wrong with grinder?

You should probably take windcharger off, most would disagree with that.

Xtb klaatu for cosmos.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tonyshotz

Tonyshotz Well-Known Member

I don't think Wardog nails anything. Its a cool looking bot but its certainly not Warpath for me. Hastak Tracks leaves a ton of room for improvement. XTB Windcharger looks decent (mediocre imho) but it also has every stereotypical XTB problem. Personally, I hate this figure and regret the purchase.

This thread is just gonna become "I like this one better" "You're dumb cause this ones better". There will never be a consensus on "The" definitive rendition of a character. I've even heard people malign MP Soundwave who I though was beyond reproach.

I'd posit Maketoys - Ironwill is nailed pretty well

• Like Like x 5
  11. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I also agree

FT dinos minus grinder.

Also for me Soundwave from Takasa Toy is the most nailed mp.

12. King Nergil

King Nergil Ruler of Sub-Atlantica

Everything can be improved upon imo, and switching out figures is part of the hobby for me. But there are some toys that stand out because they nail the look that I want perfectly and are build so damn good that I wouldn't know what to change about them. Still, it's difficult for me to call them definite renditions, so let's just say they are the bots that maybe will stay in my collection forever:

TT: Soundwave, Wheeljack, Grapple, Frenzy/Rumble, Laserbeak/Buzzsaw, Prowl, Bluestreak
    FT: Stomp, Phoenix, Grinder (+Dinohead)
    DX9: Richthofen
    KFC: Crash Hog
    BC: Grump, Brawny

There are other excellent figures (like MMC Sphinx, FT Sever, Soar and Sovereign, TT Megatron, XTB Klaatu, UT Buzzing, just to name a few), but they're not perfect. Maybe PF Caesium and FT Terminus Giganticus will join the list but I need to have them in hand to make a judgement.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. pezley

pezley Well-Known Member

XTB Andras - Hard to say with out any competition but I don't see much of an improvement to be made.
    XTB Eligos - PF may be sleeker but that doesnt translate to accuracy, just a different approach to proportions. Providing PF's quality is on point I think are brilliant and just a slight personal preference over proportions could sway you either way. Neither disappoint.
    XTB Ollie - In bot mode he is night on flawless besides the obvious of having wheels on this sides. His profile is absolutely brilliant.

KFC - Crash Hog - I find him slightly larger than I would have liked but thats likely a personal thing. I don't care for a scale chart in the slightest but find him a tad oversized. That said, he is perfect. I can't downgrade something simply because I would prefer it a different size, thats on me. for what he is though he is a masterpiece through out.

FT Kup is looking like he is absolutely spot on, smashes XTB's and looks to be very definitive.
    FT Phoenix - Too big for me, I'd prefer him to be Magnus height but preference aside I can't see one coming out being better than Phoenix.
    FT Soverign - I have Dx9 and whilst I have never felt the urge to swap him I can see Soverign is an improvement in almost all areas. He doesn't tidy up at the back and I think his use of Diecast is a bit too much but just like Phoenix, I can't see someone coming out with something better, he hits everything spot on.

MMC Sphinx - A perfect figure, great use of chunky rubber tyres and really solid plastic, diecast used in all the right places and really posable. Has heroic proportions but not too much to deviate away from his source design

Maketoys Downbeat - I know there are those who hate his rear difuser but it's a minor complaint for a figure which fits perfectly into TT's line up. Great plastic, toon accurate (Whilst thats not for everyone they have nailed what they were aiming for) Nice vibrant white finish and clever leg transfomation.

Toyworld J4ZZ - On the other end of the Jazz scale here, just like Downbeat he nails exactly what he was aiming to do which is be a masterpiece version of the original toy. great paint, brilliant logo detail and very solid in hand with out any negatives. If you had the original toy as a kid, this feels like a modern expensive version and thats what Toyworld were aiming for.

Takara - MP09 - Certainly nailed what they wanted. Let down by QC issues but ticks every box for being a masterpiece for me. Enough that I have 3 of him.
    Takara - Ironhide & Ratchet ( ** once you buy Shadow Fishers upgrade ** ) with the upgrades. These guys are perfect. Love everything about them.

Unlike others I find it really hard to suggest that FT Dinobots have nailed it when DX9's pocket sized ones have more intelligent transformations. From Grimlocks Dino Head being hidden in the robots chest to Slags front legs completely folding out of view I find these very clever and put the larger versions to shame.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  14. Skrunklemin

Skrunklemin TFW2005 Supporter

I'd say Maketoys Contact Shot not only nails the character, but it might just be a perfect toy.

• Like Like x 3
  15. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I'm surprised by the Brawny love...not surprised that people like it, but that people would think it's the definitive Brawn? It's depressing to me that that's the best Brawn available.

• Like Like x 4
  16. dmarsee

dmarsee Well-Known Member

I love Brawny with a fire hotter than a thousand suns. I think part of that is because the places he departs from Sunbow were aspects that make the Sunbow model uglier.
    He's a freaking Tiny Tank in bot Mode. He reminds me of if a "high fantasy" dwarf was an Autobot.

• Like Like x 2
  17. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    mp characters nailed-anything Takara has made.
    mp characters failed-anything third party does.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:
    I almost bought the reissue. Then, I realized that I don't like him at all.

19. Tonyshotz

Tonyshotz Well-Known Member

Wow! Little early to be wearing beer goggles isn't it?

• Like Like x 9
  20. Skrunklemin

Skrunklemin TFW2005 Supporter

That's why I love Brawny too, but I see why he doesn't do it for everyone. May need to give him a battle axe now...

• Like Like x 1