Which movie figures has the most screen accurate transformation?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by KowBot, Apr 12, 2012.

1. KowBot

KowBot Well-Known Member

I know none of them is 100% accurate, but which ones come the closest.

2. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

i don't think they even have full transformation sequences in the movies that you can actually see where arms/legs folded, it all seemed like just car->morphing metallic blob->robot, and zoomed in shots of mechanical stuffs moving, but never a full transformation as in cybertron/galaxy force

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Exactly. They usually zoomed in tight on one part of the TF so you couldn't see how much they were cheating.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Actually, they do. They're just incredibly complex and don't account for interiors. For example, Optimus' cab is pretty much his torso with the arms in the nose and the sleeper and back end making up the legs.

5. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  There are none. Everytime they transform in the movies its a jumbled up mess of cogs, wires, and steel.

6. ubertenorman

ubertenorman Well-Known Member

If I remember right, the special features on one of the movies claimed that they tried to make the transformations physically possible, but they just looked silly and not visually exciting enough, so they cheated to make them look interesting. I think ROTF Leader Optimus is probably the closest any toy got to replicating the transformation in the movies. Imagine that toy's transformation animated-you'd see OP stretched out over a city block and then put back together.

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    oh my lord, if you guys would just answer his question without BASHING the movies please....

ON TOPIC: I think the closest thing to a perfect transformation for the figures are: ROTF Leader/hftd voyager OP, Hftd Battle Blade BB, Dotm Ironhide, DOTM Ratchet, Hftd Sidearm Sideswipe,Hftd Leader Startscream, TFTM leader Brawlestator, DOTM Barricade, and ROTF Sideways.

8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    IIRC, there isn't one particular transformation sequence for anyone. The end results are obviously the same, but the order and exact movements are often entirely different based on what looks good (or makes most sense) for the particular shot.

As for what toys are most accurate in that regard, I guess anything with a complex transformation involving lots of parts, i.e. largest size class and/or from the RotF line.

9. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

I think what the op is asking is which transformers cheat the least with their transformation in order to be "screen accurate" hftd starscream and rotf leader optimus are probably the most accurate. BB bumblebee is probably pretty close as well.

10. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

Leader Optimus, Sentinel, and Starscream seem to generally have the right place of where parts come from. Bumblebee too to an extent. But it's impossible to say what's screen accurate in transformation as the transformations in the movies and Prime really aren't meant to be followed, rather they're just meant to look cool. And for the most part, they succeed.

11. Cogar

Cogar Follower of the Code

My two cents is that the transformation itself is not as key as the starting and ending points. I am not a fan of the movie "turn everything into little random parts and then have them realign into the other mode" transformations. You can see how the artists did this in the features that accompanied the 2 DVD ROTF set and the transformations were heavily faked. That is more reminiscent of Sandman in Spider-Man III than the behavior of a Transformer.

From my collection, Human Alliance Bumblebee (HFTD vintage, I think) is pretty good in both modes after doing the mod that flips the legs around.