Which Mega Man game for the PSP?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Boardwise, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm kinda stuck in a dilema.

I've been looking at the 2 recently released Mega Man games for the PSP and I'm trying to decide which game to buy.

Shocking as it may seem, but I've never played a Mega Man game before (never really had a Nintendo console) and looking at the reviews of these, they are both scoring pretty high and almost the same.

So, I'm asking for you guys honest opinions on both MegaMan Maverick Hunter X and MegaMan Powered Up

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They're both remakes of the first games in their respective series, so either is a good place to jump in to. Megaman X references a bit from the original series, but not enough to leave you wondering what the hell is going on.

Powered Up:
    11 different playable characters to unlock, with multiple versions of megaman to unlock, and new roll costumes to download every month. Each playable character has their own unique dialogue, and the story changes slightly for them. they all play quite differently as well.

It also has a stage creation tool that you can add on to by finding stage and enemy packs in the game's levels, and download from MMWeb every week or so. Stages created can be uploaded to MMWeb for others to download and review. Capcom releases special promotional stages every now and then as well.

finally, it also has a challenge mode that gives you 100 unique challenges to pass through that will unlock the final playable character in the game.

The game is very light on story, and is pretty easy unless you set it to hard mode. luckily because of the stage creation, it has near infinite replay value.

as yet another nice little bonus, it comes with a "skin" for the Logitec PlayGear Pocket.

Maverick Hunter X:
    decent challenge: not to hard, not to easy. its a lot darker than the original series. The game has some outstanding voicework, a bunch of anime cutscenes, and even an unlockable OAV that explains Sigma's reasons for starting the war, and adds a lot of depth to the cast as well.

Other than the OAV, there's only one other unlockable feature in the game, and that's to play the game as Vile, an enemy in the game. the story is a lot different this time around, has a few new bosses, and new cutscenes as well. Not merely a tacked on extra, it's obvious that just as much, if not more work was put into Vile's game than X's. Unfortunately, once you finish with both characters, there's next to no replay value.

Both games are great, and a lot of websites named both games of the month, and both recieved perfect scores from at least one review website. You can't really make a bad decision here. Get the one that seems like it would interest you the most, and get the other later.

I'd also reccomend picking up Megaman Anniversary Collection (PS2/GC/Xbox) and Megaman X Collection (PS2/GC) if you like either of these games.

3. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got both myself, and if you have to choose one...

For deeper storyline: Maverick Hunter X

For far more challenging (to the point of throwing your PSP across the room) gameplay: MM Powered Up

4. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

If you have never played a Megaman game before, I would say get Powered Up, then play Mavrick Hunter X.

5. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I say get both. I have Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, and boy, the nostalgia is insane! :)  Good times. I am on the fence whether to get MM: Powered Up. I think the new SD characters are cute, but I'm not sure...

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Maverick Hunter X's target audience is mainly comprised of existing fans of the X series. Powered Up is more accessible, and as it's a remake of the very first game, there's no background to know about.

7. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, to start with I think I'll invest in MegaMan Powered Up.

Thanks guys.

8. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

let me know how it goes!

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Powered Up is so cute (yeah whatever)...kinda wish they'll make a port to the DS...

10. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Not gonna happen. Hell, the GBA Megaman Collection is still not out yet.

11. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I miss the days of Bubble Man, etc...:( 

12. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Not to raise a zombie thread, but I just got Mega Man Powered Up and DAMN is it HARDCORE. I didn't really have problems at all with Maverick Hunter X, but MMPU is kicking my ass all over the place.

Oh sure, I breezed through Easy with Mega Man, and got through most of Normal with Mega Man S (curently stuck on Wily's Castle 3 though..beating 9 bosses in a row with no health upgrades is frustrating indeed). But I have no idea how I'm going to beat Hard Mode, and some of the other playable characters are useless. I'm looking at you, Oil Man.

And the Challenge Mode. Oh, the Challenge Mode. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it, but I already did all the easy ones. The rest that I've tried are throw-the-PSP-out-the-window hard too.

Whoever said this game was easier than MHX is some kind of masochist, that's the only explanation.

Incidentally, does anybody know if there's a way to hop off the oil slide other than crashing into a wall? I know it is Elecman's weakness in New Style, but when I slide into him it knocks him back and I keep going towards him and take a hit. There's got to be a better way. Also having trouble for the same reason with Oil Man's challenge #3. Right at the end, there's the column of spikes. I can't for the life of me jump over them, but if I could hop off the oil slide I could go under them. Does anyone know if this is possible?

EDIT: And I just figured it out. Up + Jump. Thank goodness, that will help.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    First wily stage has a 1up right at the beginning of the stage. grab it, exit, repeat until you have 9 lives. beating the bosses then will be a breeze.

I still find MMPU to be pretty easy, except for hard mode, and using some robot masters against the boss that has their weakness weapon (gutsman vs. timeman's unblockable attack... ARG)

beating normal will make hard mode a bit easier than it is now, since you'll then have Megaman C, who can charge his Mega Buster. of course, there's a second round with wily in normal mode, but you do get a real ending.

14. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did pick up MegaMan Powered Up and I do like it, but like KD said, some part are brutal.

15. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have yet to win using a robot master against his weak-to-his-weapon counterpart. >.<

And don't. Get me. Started. On challenge mode.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Fireman, Iceman, and Elecman all have a good shot at beating their respective weakness weapons' owners without too much difficulty, only because their shots move fast and in no strange directions.

17. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    they both are fun but since i'm a classic megaman gamer i prefer powered up.