Which Masterpiece to get

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Trippanator, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    I have been looking into getting Thundercracker for a while, But I found someone sellling a 20th Anniversary Optimus for $82 MIB. I was wondering which would be the better buy? The Thundercracker is from an Ebay store and he has about 8 instock so I'm fairly confident I can wait but should I? Is the 20th MP Optimus that great? Also I do not have an Optimus. I was waiting until I got a MP one to have one so he seems like the right choice. If so whats so diffrent between him and the Takara one?

2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    Between the Prime mold and the Seeker's mold, I'd get Prime first.

3. newguy

newguy i

Get a MP prime

4. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    I still think im gonna go with Thundercracker, I only need to get a G1, version of him to complete my Thundercracker collection. Then I am gonna pre-order Nemesis Prime to complete my collection of the evil primes.

5. derbyhat7

derbyhat7 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Grimlock

6. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Depending on which version of the Hasbro Masterpiece Prime you get (I think there were two), the difference is that it has "battle damage" (i.e. random dirty paint), some kind of electronic voice stand gimmick, and shortened smokestacks. Possibly the gun is a different colour to the Takara MP as well, I forget.

IMO, if you want an MP Prime, go for the real deal and get either Takara's MP01, or the MP04 "perfect" version if you want the trailer too. MP04 is probably easier to get hold of now.

MP Thundercracker is cool, but I'd always recommend getting MP Skywarp over Thundercracker, because it's Skywarp and I think it looks better :)  I believe there is a QC issue with MP Thundercracker, in that the air intakes that end up on his chest are the wrong way round.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's really no wrong answer in Masterpiece toys, so it comes down to which character(s) you'd prefer to get first, although from my experience Optimus Prime and Grimlock are more chunky and sturdy, where Starscream(and the other seekers) and Megatron are more complicated and fiddly. (for whatever you like best in your TFs)

8. Trippanator

Trippanator Autobot

Ebay:
    Ok, well looks like I'll get Thundercracker, Also how is Robot Kingdom when it comes to getting Transformers? They say Nemesis Prime will be shipped late November while everyone else has next year listed

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Prime.

10. TransFan1996

TransFan1996 Well-Known Member

Prime is neat i just upgrated from a loose mp01 prime to a misb 1 and i will sell you the loose 1 for 80 shipped

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Prime is one of my favorite transformers of all time. tc, you have to reverse his moobs by hammering out the pins....

12. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

MP Prime and MP Grimlock are sublime. I think they are pieces of art. I'm aware many people have a problem with MP Prime's truck mode, but with the way I see it, it's a hell of a lot more truck-like than G1 Prime, and a lot more truck-like than other versions of G1 Prime (Deluxe Classics, THS, etc). I can not think of a single substantive complaint for MP Grimlock except for his height and price. Nothing is wrong with the figure itself.

I cannot think of a single reason NOT to get either MP Prime and/or Grimlock if you can afford them.

I own the Megatron and Seeker mold, and honestly? If you're going to get a MP toy, I wouldn't get either of those first. Megatron and the Seekers aren't exactly as fragile as a Yamato Valkyrie, but they're still pretty darn flimsy. I've transformed Megatron maybe 3 times and was afraid to touch him again. I got stress marks on the wings of my USA-edition MP Starscream, and I had to do the wing-mod. If a toy forces you to modify it, that's a serious problem. Even after I did the wing-mod, the fact that there is a stress on the wings makes me very, very cautious when I transform it.

You gotta trust me. Get Prime or Grimlock as a "gateway" MP toy, and be very cautious before committing to the Megatron or Seeker mold. You don't need to modify Prime or Grimlock in order for them to have full functionality. Their transformations aren't overly-complicated. There is no reason not to get either Prime or Grimlock if you have the money and want an MP.