Which is your 3P choice for MP Jazz?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Sportimus, Oct 17, 2017.

?

Which is your ideal 3P MP Jazz?

1. Generation Toy J4ZZ

30 vote(s)
    11.2%
  2. MakeToys Downbeat

176 vote(s)
    65.9%
  3. ToyWorld Coolsville

24 vote(s)
    9.0%
  4. All Three listed above

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. NONE of the listed above

19 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Waiting to see who else makes their own G1 MP Jazz, then I will decide

22 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. Die-hard Takara MP fanboy who insists on this option in this poll :p

7 vote(s)
    2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. minstral

minstral It's all about G1 Masterpiece

News Credits:
    I have a Toyworld and it was great when I got it. Never transformed but the 'Mortini' and soslig height difference really started to bother me, so sold it.

Not made of coin and Hova is a good Taobao price but does the knee joint set back in the lower leg and excessive chest clevage not bother anyone? (it does in a male character bot - moons!). I see it at every front end angle and to me there's a reason there's no side on shots.

2. minstral

minstral It's all about G1 Masterpiece

News Credits:
    Ok, I eat my words! Early prototype as the upper leg looks centred to the knee? The wheel arch gap is bigger so still more bust.

Thanks for the post!

3. G1Dan

G1Dan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    None of them hit the spot for me sadly

4. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime We have Landed

News Credits:
    Maestro aka G2 Downbeat aka awesomeness.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  5. Chainclaw

Chainclaw Chris Kent

Found this thread while researching my options. Want to buy a 3P Jazz soon. Am wondering if anyone has changed their mind about what the best one is, now that a couple more are out now.

6. M Alex

M Alex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Mine is still Generations Toy J4zz. The Make Toys one looks ok, but I'm not that into the cartoon aesthetic, and the engineering issues are also something that I don't like (parts unpegging when posing him; not a deal breaker, but this ultimately is what made me go with GT).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alimcd

Alimcd Well-Known Member

I bought the GT initially. I quite liked it and didn’t mind the fact that stylisticly it was so different to the rest of my collection. I removed the missile launchers and learnt to hate the lack of symmetry I would end up with on the shoulder wheels. In the end, he shattered at the waist leaving me in total disbelief at how the plastic disintegrated before me.

I needed a Jazz

MT was sold out so I bought the Toyworld. Somehow, his odd scale was more annoying than J4zz’s IDW look. The TW transformation isn’t as bad as people say, it just needs a few key (fiddly) steps carried out in sequence. He’s got a gorgeous altmode and his missile launcher could take an eye out. He is a glorious modernised G1 toy Jazz.

When MT reissued Downbeat, I was straight on that. Right size, right aesthetic in my toon-centric collection and he’s got that certain “Je ne sais quoi” about him (maybe the heft, headsculpt, slick transformation, expressiveness...) that makes him one of my favourite MP’s. The way the legs rotate out is genius. The second run must not have the untabbing issues as he’s solid as a rock in robot mode. I wish that I had bought the MT first, it would have saved me a few quid!

The new contender, Hova, looks great if you’re after the TW-esque updated toy look. His chest bonnet looks oversized to me now that I’m used to MT and I have gone off greebles now I’ve gone full toon. Transformation looks to be fun and novel.

In summation, there are 4 (5 if you count Zeta) phenomenal MP Jazz figures out there. None represent a poor choice and all fill different niches

• Like Like x 1
  8. fearthehoss75

fearthehoss75 Well-Known Member

I so wanted to go with the TnR Hova over Maketoys Downbeat due to price but Hovas chest and no shoulder cannon were deal breakers. I ended up paying double for a Downbeat that was twice as good.

9. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I think Maketoys wins in robot mode, but I can't get past the back the vehicle.

I decided to get Coolsville as a stand in just incase TT never comes through.

10. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i voted GT J4zz after that it goes TNR Agent Mester > TW Coolsville > MT Downbeat

modern > g1
    toy > toon
    those are my preferences on how i determine it, i will say this, minus the back underside i think MTDB is the best engineered but that's not enough for me at least not anymore that's for sure

11. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked Downbeat at first, but I've fallen out of love with it over time. I don't think MT does faces well.

I will wait for a FT Jazz, or get Hova if he goes on sale. TT is not an option any more.

12. JonGrand

JonGrand Member

Ebay:
    TW Coolsville is the one I went with because I prefer to toy esthetic and it’s awesome!

13. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

MakeToys Downbeat. It's one of my favorite carbots.
    The way it handles the chest is inspired, and I really like how the legs transform and look in robot mode. Handled very well, as opposed to how Coolsville handles the fenders and such. Needed some serious decals to get the car mode on point, and some silver paint, but I adore it. It has great articulation and personality and style. It works great for Jazz, because he needs that sense of dynamic motion and style.
    Maybe one day Takara tackles Jazz but I doubt I will replace Downbeat. The one thing Takara could do to top it is to make the car mode perfect, but I really don't think they want to make accurate cars any more.

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I went with Downbeat and have no real regrets. There are obvious downsides to it, such as the rear end of the car mode, but since I display my TF's facing forward and in robot mode it wasn't a deal breaker. Only other real negative I can think of is the pieces on the legs popping off during transformation, but honestly I'd rather them pop off and easily pop back on than break completely. Not an engineering choice I'm fond of, but it could be worse.

None of the other 3rd party Jazz releases appealed to me at all. All the chests looked too massive, the headsculpts didn't look quite right and it was too G1 toy focused instead of a blend of toy and toon which I feel Downbeat has a least a little bit of.

15. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I went with MT, largely because I like theirs the best overall, but also because they actually went and did the "traditional" redecos, which is kinda important for me (still sad more Diaclone/MC and G2 redecos never happened in Classics). At least with Classics, I can rationalize pulling redecos from a hodgepodge of multiple molds instead of using the same one over and over again, but with MPs that's not an option for me. I have no idea if or when Takara will do Jazz, and while I'm still hopeful they will, I also have no idea if they'd do Stepper AND G2 Jazz (Stepper, probably, but G2 too), so knocking all three out with one mold was something I greatly appreciated.

16. ento

ento Well-Known Member

The toyworld/Zeta Jazz looks and feels excellent in both modes, but it's the most unpleasant transformation I've ever experienced, due to some total madness involving its mid-section. FT Rouge and MP36 were an absolute delight by comparison...

So it's probably never going back into car mode, which is a bit of a bummer, but bot looks good and it was pretty cheap compared to Downbeat.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Numuto

Numuto Well-Known Member

I have GT and MT's Jazz offerings.

I generally like GT, but the MT is one of my favorite figures in my collection. It FEELS like a quality MP, even moreso than the carbots. There are some negatives with it, but in all honestly with the exception of maybe TT Sunstreaker, I think it's the best carbot I've come across.

Sure the back of the alt mode looks completely unfinished. And yes, I hate that the shins are swirly grey plastic instead of perfectly painted.

But throw some reprolabels on that bad boy and he looks phenomenal. The presence is great, poseability is great, and the heft puts him above the other bots for me.

GT J4ZZ is a great take on Jazz, and I don't have any real qualms with it, but it doesn't feel as nice as the MT. Plus, I like the G1 aesthetic. Just my $.02.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Necrobot

Necrobot Mechanoid Vivisectionist

Hova for the WIN!!

20210311_102231_HDR~2.jpg
    20210309_133811_HDR~2.jpg
    20210309_133907_HDR~2.jpg
    20210309_133305_HDR~2.jpg
    20210309_132920_HDR~2.jpg
    20210309_132800_HDR~2.jpg
    20210308_140532_HDR~2.jpg

19. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Ebay:
    This guy gets the job done as being my represenration of Jazz

20190330_215848.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

I'm using the Zeta version of the Toyworld figure. I prefer it's aesthetic to the Maketoys, but mine is a POS lol. No plan to replace him, or ever transform him again. What a disaster.
    FreshArcticGuillemot-small.gif
    She could've just transformed my Jazz!