Which is the optimal TFA Voyager Class Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by G1Fan, Feb 19, 2010.

1. G1Fan

G1Fan Member

Hi, I'm new here, but I've been lurking for a while and I've been a Transformers G1 fan since the original cartoon first aired. Thanks in advance for having me.

I've recently fallen in love with Transformers Animated and I'd like to start collecting the figures, beginning with Voyager class Optimus Prime. However, I'm aware that the figure has gone through a few different waves of production, with later versions including the Autobot emblem on his shoulder.

What is the "best" version to get--and what's the best way to get it (MISB)? How do I tell if a particular figure has the Autobot emblem, and which versions have the best quality plastics and paint jobs?

I'm looking for new in box figures; not worried about price.

Thanks!

2. Demonicon

Demonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Basically, there's two US versions. One with Autobot logo and one without. It's very readily obvious which one it is, as the symbol is blatantly visible while MISB.

Then there's the not-out-yet Japanese Animated Prime. Differences are that he has metallic paint, and a red Autobot logo as opposed to the silver of the US version.

Best to get? I'd say the US version. The flat color, matte plastic of the US version captures the spirit of the cartoon much more then the Japanese release.

Definitely get one MISB, but that's my opinion. I don't like buying loose figures in general, because you don't know who handled/mishandled it, even though it may look fine.

3. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    You should get the original USA release Animated Voyager Prime.......then you should go and buy the upgrade decals (which includes the RED Autobot symbol for the shoulder.) at Reproduction TF symbols and replacement toy symbols - Reprolabels.com.

Then you should ditch the axe that originally comes with Animated Voyager class Prime and get a battle begins 2-pack animated Prime so you can take the axe from him and give it to the Voyager version.

Then, you will have the ultimate version of Animated Prime. The running change USA version with the silver Autobot logo is not the way to go because the logo doesn't look right in silver.

The Japanese version of Animated Voyager Prime looks nice but, it's too pricey just for some chrome paint.

4. G1Fan

G1Fan Member

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I wasn't thinking of the Takara version--I might get it as a supplement, but I prefer the look of the Hasbro toys (more cartoon accurate, particularly Bulkhead).

Getting decals to add myself sounds intriguing, as I did notice that the silver emblem on the later version of the figure doesn't look quite right. However, is there anything else to distinguish between wave 1 and wave 2? Did one wave have better paint or plastic than the other? Those are the deciding factors for me.

Also, I'm relying on ordering online to get the figure, so I can't usually tell if the emblem is there. I have, however, noticed that the figure comes packaged two different ways: with the side of the truck facing outward or with its top facing outward. Does that signify anything?

5. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    There is no difference in the plastic between the waves or between the versions with and without the silver autobot symbols.

The only version of packaging has the left side of the truck facing outward. As far as I know, there is no version that has the top facing outward. The version with the silver Autobot logo is plainly visible in the upper right corner of the cab of the truck on the side facing outward in the packaging.

Does this help?

EDIT: Apparently there IS a version with the top facing outward......I would buy one with the side facing outward that way, you know what you're getting (No Autobot symbol VS with Autobot symbol.)

6. G1Fan

G1Fan Member

Well, here's the top-view packaging I've seen:

[​IMG]

7. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Here is a link to the decals that you will need:

http://www.reprolabels.com/Animated/upgradea2.php

I did this to mine and it looks AWESOME that way!!

Here is a link to the figure that you want to borrow the axe from (I wouldn't buy it for that price but you can use the pic for reference purposes):

TRANSFORMERS Animated BLACKARACHNIA vs OPTIMUS PRIME - eBay (item 180463215855 end time Mar-01-10 02:14:31 PST)

or this one has the axe as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-Animated-Battle-Begins-Optimus-Megatron_W0QQitemZ330389083159QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cecb95417

8. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Please see my edit on post #5.

9. G1Fan

G1Fan Member

Thanks, G. Those decals look awesome!

10. Bumblebee028

Bumblebee028 Technobot Prime

News Credits:
    Or you could wait for Wingblade Prime. He's the one i'm holding out for.

BB28

11. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

I always felt the voyager TFA prime was a bit weak tbh, especially compared to the battle-damaged and the cybertronian deluxes.

different strokes though, innit.

12. chugway

there is still a chance he'll never be released though, so it'd be unwise to miss out a TFA prime.

13. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    It remains to be seen if this mold, hyrodive bumblebee, golfire grimlock, and deluxe rodimus will ever see the light of day now that animated is dead.

14. chugway

Prime* example of missing out on figures, would be me not buying oilslick because i liked the look of the toxic repaint more

HASBRO, WHERE IS MY TOXIC OILSLICK? :mad 

*badum-tish.

15. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    No problem at all.....hope the information that I gave you helps.....Welcome to the boards by the way!!

16. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    the voyager is a nice mold, the axe is kind of a weak add on but the rest is good. I personally like the transformation of the battle damaged deluxe better....but thats just my take on it.

17. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    The axe sucks on the primes. Wingblade will be a cool upgrade and the armor is supposed to fit on both deluxe and voyager prime. There is a third part axe out there which was cool but hasbro is still bringing up the rear

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It seems the version without the 'bot symbol is prone to loose shoulder joints (the ones that allow the arms to swing to the rear for transformation). The version with the symbol fixes that for the most part. (this based on my own experience and reports/reviews from others.)

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    voyager prime with symbol, axe from two pack, and if it arrives, armor from the wingblade added on would be the definitive animated prime