Which is the best Optimus Prime super mode?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KING KONVOY, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’m a big fan of many super mode/ combined incarnations of Optimus Prime but I have hard time picking the best or my favorite in terms of aesthetic appeal. I continuously fluctuate between Sonic Convoy and Omega Prime. If forced to choose, I would have to pick Omega Prime but only by a narrow margin. If you consider the G1 Ultra Magnus with armor as one of Optimus Prime’s super mode, then I believe a complete version of MP Ultra Magnus would be the best by far. What do you think! Feel free to make a list. Here is mine:

(Complete MP Ultra Magnus)
    Omega Prime
    Sonic Convoy
    Savage Convoy
    Galaxy Convoy
    Fire Convoy

2. Pwnbeaver

Pwnbeaver teh uber pwnage

Magnus armour would be teh uber pwnage!

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I wouldn't count the combined modes with other figures as super modes cause it;s more a gestalt mode. If we were counting those, then I'd say Energon Prime with Wing Saber would be the best.

Other than that, Fire Convoy and Galaxy Convoy are my favorites. I'm not a big fan of armor-formed super modes but Fire Convoy's designed really well so it works. And I love Galaxy Convoy's cause it's a bit of everything, heavy firepower, flight pack, and what I like best is the change is not over the top, you can still tell what Optimus Prime inside that super mode looks like. It honestly looks like a "super" Optimus Prime, not just another transformation or, in some cases, a completely different bot.

4. TrooperMaximus

TrooperMaximus Well-Known Member

Power Master Optimus Prime.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love Cybertron Prime's super mode. It looks great, doesn't detract from the main figure, and it's extremely articulated for a super mode.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I quite like all the Galaxy Force / Cybertron combos.

Regular Optimus - an all rounder, no flight, decent firepower and agility.
    Supermode - flight, extra firepower, you would assume also that he might lose some agility from being so much bigger though.
    Ligerjack arm - incredible melee power, sacrifices half his regular supermode firepower and a bit of speed, though, and if he ever missed, he'd be wide open to attack.
    Sonic mode - ultimate speed, enhanced melee and firepower, although in my mind, the regular supermode would be better as an out-and-out firepower for a single opponent, with Sonic acting more as an anti-army firepower mode - the firepower, other than the Force Chip, will never bring down a powerful opponent, but it will very quickly wear down a large force. Basically, it is the ideal all-rounder.

That's all my opinion of them. The show treated them more as "more powerful upgrade, more powerful upgrade #2" and so on, but with a little thought, the four can be made to coexist, with Prime picking and choosing the best form for a particular battle.

That said, the best from the perspective of the story and the power of the TF involved? Omega Prime - in the original Japanese version, God Fire Convoy is easily the most powerful of them all, since God Magnus had his own Matrix, so God Fire Convoy possesses two Matrices. Add in the power of Brave Maximus and the whole "hopes and dreams of humanity" jazz in the form of the Master Sword / Matrix Blade, and he is truly a godlike combination. Too bad the only time you got to see him with all of that, he was up against a nigh-unstoppable demon of a Transformer who had also leached off a lot of that power and was only defeated by his own arrogance, trying to absorb the power of the Earth as well, triggering an internal failsafe leading to his shutdown and defeat. But the fact God Fire Convoy could even go toe-to-toe with the monstrous Devil Gigatron is testament to his formiddable power.

I'm quite fond of most of the other supermodes, too.

Ginrai - pretty awesome, especially with Godbomber and the Fire Guts Buster.
    Victory Saber - he's Victory Saber, single handedly brought down an entire Destron satellite after a tough battle with Liokaiser.
    Armada and Energon, again, it's the options that Prime has. The A-E-C Prime is actually one of the most versatile Transformers ever, since with each series he has enough options to theoretically adapt to almost any situation giving himself an advantage.

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    power ranger prime.

8. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Cybertron Prime's super mode is awesome. It's like a jet pack added to him, but with extra bulging parts for Prime's legs! :D 

9. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

Powermaster Prime and GF/Cybertron for me.

10. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    RiD Omega Prime kicks ass. Looks great and is well designed. I can't say as much for the super modes from say Armada or Energon.

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Completely agree. I like super Primes that still maintain the Prime look, unlike Armadas. That's why, mixed with nostalgia, Powermaster OP stands as being one of my favorite incarnations of prime, blockiness and all.

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Cybertron Prime and RiD Prime are at the top of my list, but Energon Prime isn't all that bad either.

13. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

3 years ago called. It wants it's joke back :p 

Anyway, I like Cybertron Prime's the best. Slick jet pack/wings combo, added leg parts, and the big ass guns. Energon Prime's was cool too, and pretty unique. Armada Prime's kinda sucked. Was just a big brick. RiD Prime's was pretty badass, but I never really cared too much for Partformers. Plus it loses points for the fireladder being way too heavy for the toy to support.

14. Galvatron397

Galvatron397 Official TFW Omni-Geek

Armada Prime. What?

15. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I read these boards enough to anticipate that there would be members that wouldn’t consider prime combined with other(s) as a super mode, so that why I prefaced my statements and choices by writing "super mode / combined incarnations.” Though the title of thread says super mode, I made it clear that the combined incarnations are included. With that said, I would argue that RID Ultra Magnus, Cybertron Leo Breaker, Cybertron and Energon Wing Saber main purpose is to combine with prime. After all their names in the series are Optimus Prime Savage Claw Mode, Optimus Prime Sonic Wing Mode and Omega Prime. (The other components are acknowledged but they are not and will never be the base mold (except maybe Victory Saber). Many complain about the lack of articulation (brick like qualities) of the robot modes of Magnus, Leo Breaker and Wing Saber. The best way to utilize them and top reason to purchase them is to combine them with prime. They are basically his weaponry/armor. I’m sure other fans have found a more colorful way to describe them. In terms of G1 nostalgia, I’m not that concerned. As long as we can tell it is Convoy/Prime, then I don’t care. The designers should have the liberty to create their own interpretation of the Autobot/Maximal Supreme commander. Without this creative freedom, fans would have missed out on some great molds. I appreciate MP Convoy but I also appreciate updates and innovative designs!

10/10 times Omega Prime > Fire Convoy
    10/10 times Sonic Convoy > Savage Convoy > Galaxy Convoy

16. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Cybertron.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    powermaster. the only "super mode" worth a damn.

18. RoboRic

RoboRic Banned

Cybertron.

So cool...

19. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    Cyb/GF Prime in my book. Thanks to the leg attachment he looks big and mean but not bulky. And his proportions look pretty good in normal robot mode too, doesn't look like he's missing anything.

I'm gonna throw Powermaster Prime on my fav list too, just out of nostalgia. ^_^

20. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

I can't really decide which, so I'll just post my opinion on each:

RID Prime: looks awesome, lots of firepower. Loses points for the parts falling off easily and the ladder falling down unless he has it in a certain position.

Omega Prime: Huge, looks great, decent weaponry. However, its top-heavy, can't hold any good poses (IMO), and parts fall off too easily.

Armada Prime: Looks cool. And that's about it. He's a brick from the waist down. His arms have good articulation, but one of them has limited movement because of the "light up hand" gimmick wiring that goes through it.

Jet Convoy: Looks bad@$$, big guns, better posability than the trailer pants. Even so, the leg articultion still leaves much to be desired.

Energon Prime: Good posability, decent gimmick (swapping limbs). Looks horrendous (color-wise), though. I bought the toy because it said "Transformer" on the box, not Power Rangers!!! A unified color scheme would have made it perfect.

Energon Wing Convoy: Good posability, looks awesome (either way). No real complaints, though the red 'n' blue is still dangerously close to looking like a power ranger.

Optimus Supreme (isn't that what it's called?): Omega Supreme w/Prime's head. 'Nuff said. The drones don't really bother me on Omega, because he already looks like a playskool toy (purple and yellow...why did they go with purple and yellow???).

Cybertron Prime: Great posability, looks spectacular, big@$$ guns. What more do you want???

Savage Claw: Looks menacing enogh, but it doesn't look enough like a hand and the arm's posability is meh. He looks better with Nemesis Breaker though (seeing as I don't have Leo).

Sonic Wing Convoy: Looks bad@$$, has great posability, lots 'o' weapons, all around awesome. A prime (heh) choice.

And those are all the ones I have. Sorry for the essay, but I like all the Primes, and wanted to voice my opinion on each. If really had, to pick one, I'd say any variation of Cyb. Prime, but I love them all for different reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.