Which IDW-verse characters do you love and which do you hate?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by batfan007, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Omnondippy

Omnondippy The duly appointed enforcer of the Tyrest accord.

please don't get annoyed but i absolutely love autobot megatron. he is amazing. other characters like nightbeat, skids, rodimus, drift, ratchet, rung, thundercracker, bombshell, needle nose, misfire, krok, crankcase, grimlock, roller, pax/optimus prime and many more are such well written, some funny, awesome characters. i also dislike titans return sentinel prime with a passion. i also wasn't a fan of METALHAWK. WHY WAS HE BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE IN DARK CYBERTRON TO GET KILLED ABOUT 2 ISSUESS LATER

2. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

IDW has pretty much recolored my views of many Transformers.

Some old favorites got new leases on life, while others.... Well, R I P, Prowl.

My faves are Rodimus, Trailbreaker, Ratchet, Cyclonus, Skids, and Megatron in MTMTE, and Thundercracker and Wheeljack in the other book. Sorry, Barber, you fail at making me care about anyone you write about.

3. Mirimus

Mirimus Well-Known Member

I don't want to get into a drawn-out list, but the standouts for me are:

Ultra Magnus/Minimus Ambus: his characterization has been great, and even though he's grown psychologically in some respects, he exemplifies my belief that people, at their core, really don't change. They'll add layers (in his case, literally), but they're always fundamentally the same person.

Megatron: I've always liked just about any incarnation of Megatron anyway, but this is one you can sink your teeth into and get at all kinds of complexity. Finally seeing a glimpse of something beyond the scenery-chewing he's so well known for, getting to the reasons for his anger and hate, and seeing how he views himself and his fellow robots has been a treat. The scene where he attempts to explain himself to Ravage on the alternate Lost Light is absolutely great.

Swerve: he's an average joe always in the midst of circumstances beyond his control who tries to hide his insecurities with humor and endless talking. What's not to like?

• Like Like x 4
  4. CaptainButtocks

CaptainButtocks Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Whilst I can understand the dislike for Getaway, I find him fascinating in the sense of "he's the hero of his own story" really ringing as painfully true for him (for me - your mood may vary!).

From his point of view, he's arranged to have the single biggest tyrant in the galaxy killed and an inept egotistical captain (responsible for bringing on board a monster who killed six of his men) removed from post, all with the backing of the majority of the crew. He likely thinks he's gonna be remembered as the biggest hero since Optimus Prime.

• Like Like x 3
  5. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megatron is one my favorites now since he became 3 dimensional. He perfect counter balance to Rodimus antics. Ravage is a cool cat since I got his picture from Cahill. Soundwave is awesome as always and Thundercracker.

I love Skids. Jazz needs improvement in his character. Prowl enough said

6. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

To be fair, it wasn't Rodimus' decision to bring Megatron onboard. It was forced on him by Optimus (and as much as I love OP, that was STILL a dick move ). He was pretty pissed. Getaway might not know that, though.

7. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

It's tough to respond to this thread properly, because like a lot of TF fans, my favourites still stem from the toys I have as a kid and the characters I liked for their original Universe profiles, and that has held true throughout IDW's run. Even though they are currently completely underdeveloped, I still thrill to catch glimpses of IDW Strafe, Blades, Steeljaw and Dead End, and I long for the return of the Throttlebots, Sandstorm and Slingshot.

The characters I like best are, inevitably, those who are both (a) well-written and in the limelight, and (b) old favourites, at the same time, so Red Alert, Prowl, Ratchet, Blurr, Wheeljack, Starscream, Guzzle, Sunstreaker, Sparkstalker.

In terms of characters I previously had no real affection for, but now love simply because of their IDW appearances, the top one is Crankcase, and then Chromedome, Brainstorm, Whirl, Cyclonus, Rung, Soundwave and Thundercracker.

There aren't many characters I can't stand at all, but I'm still relatively uninterested in (and sometimes irritated by) Drift, Kup (as written by Barber) and Tailgate, and I'm really glad the DJD and Galvatron are out of the way now.

8. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I think CaptainButtocks was referring to Overlord here. Rodimus did give the go-ahead for Overlord to be loaded onto the Lost Light, having made a deal with Prowl, and then didn't admit it until the end of season 1.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

Ooooooh, sorry. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Spontificus

Spontificus Well-Known Member

I love too many to list, but Prowl is more interesting as a scheming semi-antagonist than he ever was as a good guy. And the fact that Arcee went from a boring rage beast character from the beginning of IDW to an interesting part of Prime's team that has had a great amount of character growth is great.

I only truly hate one character, and that is Sunstreaker. The billion human deaths in All Hail Megatron is his fault, O'nion's death in All Hail Megatron is his fault, the countless Autobot deaths in All Hail Megatron is his fault, the near death of Optimus in All Hail Megatron is his fault, and worst of all, All Hail Megatron, the worst, most awful story in IDW and my least favorite Transformers story of all time, is all his fault. And people think Chromia is a Karma Houdini. At least what she did was motivated by trying to save a dying planet full of people, and at least she eventually got arrested and will go on trial for it. All Sunstreaker got for comeuppance was having to do a half-hearted sacrifice that he survived, and he was only motivated by misplaced genocidal rage. He never got what he deserved, and no one treats him like the traitorous monster he is because he got a cute pet. If there is a character in the story that you can point to and say that all of the protagonists' problems are due to that character and that character is not the antagonist, that character is a terrible character.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  11. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I love Deathsaurus and Nickel, wanna seelots more of them.
    And Skullcruncher, he's a big millionaire on Cybertron. Someone like that should hold some power on a post apocalyptic planet.
    And Mindwipe, i always love Mindwipe. He's a cool character with a lot of potential.
    I like Drift and Ratchet and Grit.
    Grit should come back written by Roberts perhaps if IDW isnt gonna ask Shane to do another mini-series.
    Riptide is cool and Velocity.
    I liked Skids and Pipes :( 
    I want Triggerhappy and Dreadwind and Darkwing to come back cause they should get some focus.
    Same for the Technobots.

I hate Starscream, Arcee, Megatron has been kinda boring, Swerve seems to have become rather pointless.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GaryTheNeutral

GaryTheNeutral Reformed Decepticon

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I really love what IDW has done with Megatron. Really felt sorry for this guy in Megatron Origins and MTMTE. Soundwave and Shockwave as well. Shockwave's backstory hit me right in the feels. I understand Soundwave wanting equality then decided to step down when he realized he was wrong, surrendered, helped being down the main villain, and became an ally. (Why does he sound like Starlight Glimmer excluding the backstory, taking away cutie marks, and time traveling?) Bumblebee is so much better in IDW than any of Bay's movies and dare I say better than in Prime/RiD. Ratchet's great as well. LOVED Brainstorm's smart-Alec personality. Lol I miss Skids.... First time I actually liked Rodimus (still hate the one from G1 movie/cartoon). Interesting take on Ultra Magnus... Whirl's great too. Cyclonus is a great and welcome change IMO. IDW does some of the best renditions of characters we love like Megatron as I mentioned

I really hate the humans in Revolution and Revolutionaries, NAILs, the new antagonist in Lost Light, and... GETAWAY...

I really don't care for Windblade nor Chromia and not even Elita One. I also feel that Starscream has just become Prime/RiD Starscream if he succeeded in ruling Cybertron. Also what is with Optimus?

Overall I say IDW has done some great characters (Megatron), wasted potential characters (Metalhawk), and some bad characters (Getaway) IMO like EVERY other comic and other show/movie but MTMTE is where it's finest characters and stories are at.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Getaway's not a bad character at all. He has strong legitimate motives behind everything he does. Because you don't like his actions, doesn't make him a bad character. You're supposed to feel upset by what he does, he's an antagonist, and a complicated one at that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AnomusPrime

AnomusPrime Half-crazy for the love of bots

I love so many characters, from all three books, including types I usually dislike (like Starscream and Whirl). OP and Megs are my favorite no doubt. Overlord is hilarious. Getaway is a character I love to hate. A lot of minor characters leave an impression even if they just appeared for a few issues. There are some bland ones, but I just don't care about them, not hate them.

However, there is this one character I really dislike: Tailgate. From his character design to his personality, he is just so annoying to me, to the extent that I stopped liking Cyclonus in association (but I quite like it when Cyclonus interacted with Whirl, without literally talking about how he's undeserving of Tailgate). It's not that I dislike this type of person irl, or that he is flawed. Everybody is flawed. Somehow I just dislike him on page, especially when the plot focused on he and Cyclonus' relationship. It feels... too tacky? Cheesy? Cloying? But that's not wholly it too. I guess both something about this character and his relationship irked me.

I'm not saying it's a bad character or bad writing. I'm sure many people like him. It might just be my personal cranks.

-----

I also couldn't understand the appeal of DJD, especially Tarn, but they got offhandly killed and not here anymore. So I'm not complaining.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  15. Optimax Prime

Optimax Prime The 14th Prime

Fort Optimax (which is more than meets the eye)
    ok, dude, no offense, but Getaway DITCHED HIS FRIENDS TO GET SLAUGHTERED BY THE DJD AND DEATHSARUS, AND GUESS WHAT, THE DJD IS DEAD AND D-SAURUS GOT HIS TROOPS DECIMATED SO GETAWAY DESERVES TO DIE

16. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Hold up, lemme caps-lock for a minute since I figure I didn't make my point clear in that post. He's NOT A BAD CHARACTER. HE'S A VERY GOOD ANTAGONIST. YOU THINK HE DESERVES TO DIE BASED ON DECISIONS HE MADE THAT WERE INTENDED TO BE FROWNED UPON BY THE WRITER.

Also with the whole ditched friends thing, he never intended for them to get slaughtered. He made a deal with the galactic council to have them spared save for Megatron. The council betrayed him. Also literally who do you think decimated Deathsaurus' troops and killed the DJD: Megatron. The guy Getaway was trying to get rid of.

• Like Like x 2
  17. AnomusPrime

AnomusPrime Half-crazy for the love of bots

He did decide to intentionally sacrifice an innocent life, deal old Tailgate, to achieve his goal. Who give him the right to sacrifice others? That's a first-degree murder attempt, pretty evil an action. I don't know about "deserving to die" though. Who's the judge? One thing I'm sure of: he need to be stopped.

Also, Megatron started with good intentions too. Sadly, intentions are not the same as actions.

18. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Exactly, it's a very evil action, but in his eyes it was a necessary sacrifice for what he (and 90% of the crew apparently) would have seen as a good cause. What he did to Tailgate was horrible, but the outcome is still subjective. I'm not sure about "needs to be stopped", considering he's already done what he planned to do, and the only thing really left is to keep Rodimus and Megatron out of power. Which isn't entirely unjustified, considering Rodimus is a horrible leader, and Megatron, well, even if Megatron is technically no longer a threat in our eyes, I think it's still worth debating if he should still be the captain of a ship that really doesn't want him. He should definitely still be locked up for the Tailgate thing, though.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Optimax Prime

Optimax Prime The 14th Prime

Fort Optimax (which is more than meets the eye)
    pfft, i won't be surprised if the LLC end up waking up the Metroplex from the Functionist Universe because, the events that revealed the last 2 Metrotitans on Cybertron happened, so They could turn the asswipes own Religious-centered government against them

20. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I don't know what that has to do with anything you quoted but yeah man.