Which Hasbro figures do you prefer over the Takara deco? Why?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bountyan, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of Japanese Takara figures seem to have higher quality and/or more accurate paint schemes, especially in the case of Classics. But which figures would you rather have the Hasbro deco of, given that they were the same price? It can be any line.

For me:
    Universe Ratchet - I prefer the red head crest over the dark grey cartoon accurate one.

Generations Wheeljack - The United one's shiny paint makes the green look more like a turquoisish blue to me.

Generations Kup - I don't want shiny paint on a character who's supposed to be old.

2. Wheelie

Wheelie Riding on Grimlock!

I most definitely agree with the 3 you mentioned.

3. OptimusScream

OptimusScream 5 SECOND LEADER

News Credits:
    this

4. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    Masterpiece Starscream, more g1 then mp-3

5. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Generations Thrust

For this one, I prefer the overall colour of the figure, as well as the design on the wings. These might only be two points, but I think they speak volumes toward how it measures up, what with the mold itself not being anything that new. I also think the chromed cockpit is cool, but that might also be the case with the Takara one, so yeah.

6. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Universe Ramjet... The Henkei version has less paints in some places because its strives too much to be cartoon accurate. In all honesty the striped paint apps look nice, and the darker tone of red in the Universe one makes it almost appear as if he had panel lining applied... but it's only the texture.

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. I also forgot to mention I like the two pack Classics Skywarp over the Henkei one. I just love the bright hot pinkish purple over the more dull purple for some reason.

8. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

All the TFA toys. I prefer the matte finish, like the cartoon, rather than shiny.

9. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Takara's Animated Starscream looks painfully bad in vehicle mode, thanks to that uneven mess of shiny plastic.

10. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    RtS Perceptor, Wreck-Gar and Grapple (Perceptor w/o chrome looks weird, I wasn't feeling United Wreck-Gar's silver face and Grapple with an orange head looks off, even if it's cartoon accurate)
    Universe Prowl and Octane (nothing added to these two that compelled me to buy the Henkeis when they were released)
    Generations Scourge (the randomness of the shiny blue paint in bot or jet mode doesn't work for me)
    Classics Jetfire, Grimlock, Starscream and Ramjet (the Henkei versions of Skyfire/Jetfire, Starscream and Ramjet look plainer in comparison, to me, and the chrome on Grimlock doesn't look right)
    Universe Legends Wheelie (why does the Henkei release look almost urine-colored, in a line that's largely more cartoon accurate than their Hasbro counterparts)
    Generations Dirge and Thrust (the greys on the Gentei exclusive versions aren't bad, but the Generations versions stand out to me more)

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Almost all of them.

Takara figures are more expensive, harder to find, and are rarely worth the import. These days that's a big decider. The shiney decoes usually are ill-fitting, garrish or barely noticable, (such as with every single Animated figure) and paint scheme changes are minor or irrelevant. (a lot of the United figures) The exceptions are white figures which usually come out much nicer simply because Hasbro sometimes uses off-white, while Takara almost always goes for pure white. Even then this is still not enough for me to sway in favour of Takara versions as they're used on characters I care little for such as Jazz or Drift.

12. DBarricade

DBarricade General Nutcase

The Generations Seekers look nicer than their Gentei counterparts. And Warpath I like the cute little nods to his speech pattern on the vehicle mode.

The Battle in Space Cyclonus is also the sexiest deco of the toy to date, but I don't know if that counts since it was part of a three pack in like Asia or something with that Galvatron toy nobody really wanted and that KO-esque Rodimus...

13. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Well, the BiS set that had just Cyclonus and Hot Rod also has that deco, and it is the best of all three. (Universe, Henkei, BiS).

I think I agree with about every toy mentioned so far. An exception would be Henkei Jetfire/Skyfire--it's accuracy REALLY makes me want one. Kinda iffy on Universe vs. Henkei Ratchet for myself, but there are only a couple of differences between them anyway.

14. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Almost all of them. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people think the Takara decos are always superior to the Hasbro ones. I think some people are wrong. :lol 

But in all seriousness I prefer the matte colors. VERY few Takara versions are preferred. RTS/United Turbo Tracks is better for instance, and so is Henkei Ironhide. As for my favorite Hasbro over Takara? MP Skywarp. He's matte purple and black, PERFECT for a military aircraft. Even if the color scheme isn't realistic military, it IS a nice, dull black and purple which is proper for a military jet.

15. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I forgot about MP Starscream and the Animated line in general, though I guess with questions like these I tend to think of figures with less overt differences (like Classics or the occasional Beast Era or Unicron Trilogy figure).

Along those lines, MP Rodimus. I like the chest design and overall look of it, plus the Targetmaster, lack of QC issues, and dramatically cheaper cost compared to MP-9 makes me prefer that release must more.

16. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Hmm, I feel like I'm an outsider right now but I'll say it anyway. I prefer the Henkei, United figures over the Hasbro versions. Warpath being the only Hasbro version I own in the entire line. I don't know, I love the chrome, I love the paint apps, an I just really want the most appealing updated versions of my childhood figures. FYI also going to grab Junkheap so make that 2 for Hasbro lol.

17. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    IMO, only ones I can think of are the Wal-Mart red Powerglide, and Wheeljack for their paint apps. Most others I prefer the Japanese versions.

18. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    RTS Perceptor has chrome that takara's version doesn't.

19. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    Yup RTS Perceptor over Takara due to the chrome

20th Anniversary Classics Starscream over Takara anyday.

Generations Wheeljack, the green on Hasbro is much more accurate than Takara.

20. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    RTS Perceptor. Chrome on the Hasbro release and not on the United/Takara release? WTF?