Which G1 universe does BW follow?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jet convoy, May 18, 2006.

1. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

I don't think we have an actual answer but what do you guys think?

I remember in the BW episode "Possesion" where Starscream says that he "sacrificed" himself for Galvatron and was killed by Unicron. Then Blackarachnia tells him how she read the truth and that he betrayed Megatron/Galvatron and was killed by his hand.

So this leads me to thinking BW follows the G1 cartoon, because even though I haven't read the whole Marvel comic series, I know that a lot of time travelling screwed everything up, and TF:the Movie's events didn't happen.

So, thoughts?

2. butz

butz slippery when wet

I believe the original intent was just to do their own thing with some nods to the original show. Later, when more TF fans started to take notice to these nods, they started to open it up a bit on which version of the continuity it might've followed (particularly including the term "Primus", and the idea that the Vok were some how related to the swarm, which are references to the comic). The appearance of the Decepticon ship (named Nemesis in Beast Wars) might've lead a lot of people to favor the idea that it follows the cartoon- it was seemingly designed to look like the 'con ship from the first G1 episode, and theres no evidence of the 'cons using a ship like that in the comic (at least not the first dozen issues or so, which I have, and have looked through to see if Nemesis made an appearance). Take it for what you will.

But, then Dreamwave comes along and throws a wrench into things- the answer is now "neither". According to Dreamwave, there's is the version of G1 that Beast Wars follows.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    G1 TV series, with the swarm from the G2 comic thrown in later as an explanation for the Vok.

When dreamwave died, their stuff was erased from all canon.

4. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

The nice thing about Beast Wars, at least the way I see it, is you can attach it as either a continuation of the cartoon or the comic depending on your preference.

It's got Starscream's Ghost, the Nemesis, Shrapnel's speech impediment and the Hate Plague for the cartoon fans, but "Primus", references to the Swarm and use of the term "Ark" for the comics fans.

Personally, *I* like it as a continuation of the G1 cartoon, but I'm not going to get in a death-match arguement with anyone who considers it a continuation of the G2 comic. As far as I'm concerned, it works either way depending on fan preference.

5. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Beast Wars/Machines seemed to borrow from both the G1 cartoon and comic

From my perspective it took the best of both sides of the coin to make a more unified continuity

6. butz

butz slippery when wet

Good. I always thought it was bullshit for them to make that claim in the first place.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The nice thing is that Beast Wars is that it while it references both comic and catroon, it does nothing to irreparably tie it to either one.

I've been a cartoon fan more than comic generally, so I'll lean toward "cartoon" for the answer, based on such things as the Ark/Nemesis designs, 'Matrix' spark-holder, and the pile of cartoon-based references shoehorned into Beast Machines.

8. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well if it did follow the toon, it was only the US toon, ending with Rebirth, and not the Japanese seasons.

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How is this possible? When Marvel ceased publication of TF comics, that material wasn't erased from canon.

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Transformers has never had a canon that could line itself up neatly. Half the time a series couldn't even agree with its OWN canon, let alone tie neatly with another series. So, Beast Wars doesn't really tie with any specific G1 universe, it just pulls bits and pieces from whatever sounds good.

11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think yours is the best explaination but then again it could be a different G1 continuity...

What I mean is...the position which BW Megs finds G1 Optimus in the BW show is different from the G1 show.

G1 Optimus was found sitting in a seat in the BW show while in the G1 Optimus was standing...kinda lame, huh? :redface2: 

12. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I think they attempted to give a nod to as much of the different G1 story lines as they could, and as for Dreamwave. Their shit was just cool reading. I never allowed any of their stuff to alter the G1 or Beast Wars universe in my mind for the simple fact that they were NOT. They were writing years after the "real" Stuff was already done and gathering dust, so I never used their stuff to redifine TF history. Pretty stupid if you ask me. Their stuff was interesting to read, however it was just after the fact fan fun to me.

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Also considering there stuff was written AFTER Beast Wars was over..

14. useless

useless Completely Unreasonable TFW2005 Supporter

I think in this case the claim was that for the purposes of the G1 comic they were going tro write the whole thing woulod have started in their G1 continuty

THere is questionable bit in the BW use of the Swarm as anscstors of the Vok: namely the idea that the swarm consumed humanity: at its introduction the swarm ignored rather than consumed a non-machine race (which the G2 decepticons it did consume had been hunting to extinction) because it didn't feed on non-mechaniod life... Unless something happened to change the off-panel swarm during then it wouldn't have touched humans

And FWIW the Nemisis did appear in the UK comics... very briefly, to be blown up immedettly by a Time Traveling Galvatron

15. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    As the writers themselves said, they based the show's history on old issues of the marvel comic.

And yes, the Dreamwave series were set in the Beast Wars continuity.

16. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh... I'd say neither. Not really anyways as both the cartoon and the comic were referanced constantly. However, the comic seemed to be referanced more often with a few exceptions. Personally, I would say that it follows it's own G1 continuity that combines the best of both fictions.

As for DWs radical claims and attempts to tie their fanwank writing into something that was worth having anything to do with... whatever, sure maybe the G1 they were writing was going to tie into BW, but I guarantee that if it had lasted it would have been their BW. Not the show, but whatever they decided to write about. Period. Besides that, it's pretty arrogant of them to say that their universe is the core cannon. And I'd actually like to hear Hasbro's opinion of that one.

17. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

They loosely picked and chose elements from both, but those chosed from the cartoon might eliminate the comic, while those chosen from the comic don't necessarily eliminate the cartoon.

Just because the term 'Primus' never came up in the cartoon doesn't mean they didn't have a religion with Primus as their deity; they just never addressed it. The VOK/Swarm elements could be said to take place long after the run of the cartoon (like the year 2010 or something).

18. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

I'll have to watch MTMTE again, but I seriously doubt Optimus was standing after the Ark crashed. :lol  I seem to remember he wasnt sitting in the Captain's chair either.

Exactly! I never felt like their stuff was "canon", so for anyone at DW to say theirs was the "true canon" was pretty stupid. Besides that, I've always felt that "canon", as it refers to TFs, is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. I've also noticed that anyone thats trying to single out one continuity as "canon", is usually in for a long and difficult debate.

19. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Just before the crash Prime was reaching for the stick, almost from a kneeling position. The first shot of Prime in the skuttled Ark has him hunched over the back of a chair (like he was laying over it and onto a table from a standing position). Of course, this shot was after the initial 'shake up' from the erruption, so there's no telling what his position was right after the crash.

20. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Just checked out my G1 DVD

Prime was slouched over the chair,which makes sense since he slouched over that same chair.To reach the lever before the ship crashed

EDIT

DAMN IT Petey,you beat me to it by a few secs,we posted at the same time :p