Which G1 toys stand the test of time?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Goshjosh95, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Goshjosh95

Goshjosh95 Decepticon

News Credits:
    I grew up on the G1 cartoon, and just started collecting the Universe Classics figures this past Fall... and LOVE all of the reinterpretations! Great looking bot-modes and interesting transformations that aren't simply bricks, and look a lot like the cartoons of my childhood. My question is: In your opinion, which G1 toys stand the test of time and are worth getting? My criteria are:

(1) The mold has a pretty good bot sculpt and interesting, well-engineered transformation.

(2) It's not likely to be released in the future classics line.

I already bought an Encore Omega Supreme, just because I doubt we'd ever see a Classics take on him. Any other recommendations?

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

hmm, while soundwave is probably going to get some sort of classics upgrade, I'd still say that his original g1 sculpt withstands the test of time. it's highly posable, looks just like the cartoon, and the alt. mode is the exact size that it's supposed to be in real life.

3. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

Jetfire, the Deluxe Insecticons, Blaster, Perceptor- to name a few off my head.

While many people dislike them, I will say that the Action Masters are also pretty good toys. Maybe not the best TRANSFORMERS, but as a toy they've aged moderately well- still alot of fun.

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From the vid reviews I've seen, Fort Max looks pretty stable, and good if you can get a non- yellowed one.

5. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Perceptor's really cool; I don't know how likely Hasbro/Takara would be to push a toy microscope like Perceptor in the Classics line (especially one that works a little bit, like the G1 mold), so that's the first thing that comes to mind. Maybe that Doctor character in RotF could open the door to a Classics Perceptor though.

Shockwave, Soundwave and Jetfire too. It wouldn't surprise me to see Shockwave or Soundwave get a Classics update (and Jetfire already has one), but I love all three G1 molds, especially Soundwave. I'd love for Shockwave and Jetfire to be reissued someday, though I don't know how likely that would be.

Optimus Prime. Yes, he's been seen in Classics (in deluxe and Voyager molds), but the original figure is always neat. And it's Prime.

Jazz is also a personal favorite. I fully expect him to get a Classics update someday, but in the meantime, I still love the original mold. I wish I could find even the G2 version that I had as a kid.

6. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    Personally the G1 Trypticon & Scorponok molds have more than stood the test of time and I think it's very unlikley that either of them will get any true Classics/Universe love. Gigatron might be a cheaper alternative to ol' Trypy as his Japanese only rerelease, although I haven't checked on his prices since I bought him a few years ago. Hope that helps ;) 

7. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Obviously G1 Combaticons.

8. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

Wheeljack,Tracks

9. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Hun-gurrr, definitely. He's as poseable as any modern toy AND is a combiner, to boot.

10. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sixshot

11. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

Powermaster Prime and Galvatron get my vote.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Powermaster Optimus Prime. yes.

it's a solid brick of AWESOME.

13. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Roadbuster

14. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Scoponok is just a fantastic mold.

15. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

The original Prime is still a pretty good toy. I think we've just become a bit blasé about it after so many reissues.

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    victory saber,liokaiser, and overlord,

17. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    G1 Scorponok definately followed by Fortress Maximus. At this point I would love to see any headmaster. I think that would be awesome.

18. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Optimus, Prowl/'streak/Smokescreen, Grimlock.

Powermaster Prime was a big step-down from the original. I thought that then. I think it know. But I make a big exception for the Takara version. That is cool.

Jetfire's probably cool too(never had one). Honorable mention to Omnibot Downshift. Love that mold.

19. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    Shockwave hes more poseable than most newer toys and badass as hell

Soundwave poseable as hell awesome alt the gimmick rocks

20. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

People have already mentioned a lot of good candidates. The Citybots, Shockwave, Jetfire, Sixshot, and Perceptor would definitely be near the top of my list. Blaster, I dunno, I don't think he holds up as well, he's so boxy and simplified (just my opinion).

BUT, the Cassettes hold up EXTREMELY well. I think I mentioned in another thread a while back that they are just about the only G1 toys that can hold their own alongside Classics. That pretty much goes for all the main ones.... Rumble/Frenzy, Ravage, Laserbeak/Buzzsaw, Ratbat, Overkill, Slugfest, Steeljaw, Ramhorn, Rewind/Eject, Bestbox, Squawktalk, etc. They all have better articulation than G1 toys ten times their size, and G1 Ravage is frankly a better toy than the Classics Ravage that came with Hound.

Other than that.... hmmm... maybe some of the combiner leaders? Hun-Grrr is quite articulated and can stand well with Classics, as can Snaptrap. The dinobots are also pretty decent, particularly Sludge and Swoop. Oh, and Sky Lynx.... I think a Classics take on him would barely be any different (plus the Encore version is available rather cheaply right now).

Weirdly, I think Squeezeplay has aged rather well, but I may be alone in that. :)