which g1 molds?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Optimus Layne, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Optimus Layne

Optimus Layne Autobot Commander

which g1 figures can never be reissued besides wheeljack

2. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Mirage, Sunstreaker, Shockwave, most of the combiners, and all of the Dinobots.

3. Optimus Layne

Optimus Layne Autobot Commander

is sideswipe in there as well?

4. BigRC83

News Credits:
    Nope. Sideswipe had been recently re-issued.

5. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    some of the combiners and shockwave too dont forget about them

6. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    How do you know for sure they don't have the molds?

7. BigRC83

News Credits:
    I think some HASBRO representatives confirmed that info at one of the conventions.

8. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    I'm more disturbed that we can't get a toon color accurate Bluestreak!

9. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    What hasbro says and what is actually true is totally different things.

Obviously quality molds exist in china. hence all the top notch unoffical replicas of Dinobots, cassettes, wheeljack, scourge, and cyclonus. It can happen. they just dont see it worth their time and money.

10. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    e-hobby , anime Bluestreeak

About the KO:s

You can always back engenieer the toys and that is likely what the KO makers have done. This however create a problem if your not good enough, hence the crappy and qualety control issues on most of the KOs. Takara back engenerred one toy, Soundwae. Reason for this is not known but I speculate it was because Soundwave is so darn freaking easy to sell they probably knew he would give themoney back and I bet he has done that several times now.

Back engenerring the other molds is NOT cost effectiv. The character needs to sell very well first off, then there is the whole process of back enegeniring that aint super easy. It takes time to get all parts and such to work and fit properly, it is not the same as doing a new mold.

We have bad economic times now and do this for characters that probably wont sell so in the end it all comes down to a + in TTs books is just bad buissnes.

I think they are checking the market with Bruticus and hopefully he sells good enough so TT sees there is a market.

11. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What Combiners cant be reissue?

12. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Jetfire (too close to a Macross lawsuit), Fortress Maximus (can't be reissued in US due to current safety laws) Megatron (toy gun is out, unless it was "Fire Guts Megatron", Reformatting Megatron", etc.)

Molds that we have yet to see reissued and are viable: Insecticons

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    they were reissued in tfc but are more expensive than the originals

14. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Are you thinking of Fortress Maximus, Megatron and the Insecticons as being possibilities for Hasbro only? The first two can't be by Hasbro for the reasons you stated but that's where Takara has come in for Megatron (and could, perhaps, for Fortress Maximus). The Insecticons, however, have been reissued by Takara under the Collection line as brr-icy mentioned above.

15. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn economy...out of curiousity, if this happened with Soundwave, why wouldn't Takara try reverse engineering with a Grimlock reissue?? He's one of the more popular and recognizable characters and tends to show up in most Transformer lines at some point (with the other four Dinobots getting glossed over or even completely ignored).

As for Shockwave and Jetfire...I thought Shockwave was a licensing issue and the Omega Supreme reissue at least brightened hopes that it could be pulled off since that mold wasn't originally Hasbro's either (though I am aware of the merger with Tomy helping with Omega and Skylynx reissues being pulled off); did something happen to the Shockkwave mold to throw any hopes out of the window? I'm unfamiliar with Macross stuff so I have no idea what kind of hoops Takara might have to jump through to even try to reissue Jetfire.

Another thing I've pondered...does anyone know how well the reissues do sell in Japan and abroad? Is there enough action on them that would nudge Takara into contemplating reverse-engineering on lost/damaged molds whenever world economies start to recover and trying to pull this off for relevant characters like Wheeljack, the Dinobots or the combiners?

16. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Think economicly for a sec on the Grimlock thing:

MP Grimlock is out, why do a reissue Grimlock ?, one would sell porly and destory the sales of the other.

IF not MP Grimlock was made, then yes Grimlock is probably one of those characters that can make a backengenering profitable bu the characters are few in number.

just because a figure is rare and expensiv does not mean = Big sales.

Basic economics.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    MP Grimlock is rather costly. I'm sure a lot of people with less than bulging pockets would pick up a G1 reissue of him if they could rather than stump up the cash for the MP. If someone wasn't going to buy the MP one anyway because of cost then it's no loss to MP sales to offer them the G1 reissue instead which might be in their price range. Better to get some cash off people by selling them something than selling them nothing.

18. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

It seems that recent demand for reissues has slowed down some, as the last several waves of Encores can be found for well below retail, and were largely clearanced out in Japanese stores. Add to that the fact that 25th Prime reissue bombed from a retail perspective too (the poor execution didn't help matters).

It seems that reissues, which used to be low cost cash cows (using existing tooling), aren't real cash cows. Thus they don't really warrant back engineering except in rare circumstances. Why use resources to remake something old, when they can just come out with an MP or other new toy that generates higher margins?

19. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

Couple of things for slow down. One, the economy. Two, the first movie really pumped up the reissues. TRU reissues were going for crazy prices on ebay. Now that the movie mania has died down they have dropped substantially. I suspect the prices will start picking back up once the second movie comes out. Just a guess.