Which figures belong under CHUG for you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PikaManiac, Sep 23, 2016.

1. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

I realised CHUG has degraded into a very opinionated term, so I am wondering what is the general consensus.

For me, I count all figures released under the below toy lines, and figures whose molds were first released from these toy lines. For example, Universe 2.0 Superion from the Energon toy line mould count only when it is released under the Universe toy line, but the version with the Revenge of the Fallen packaging, although the exact same toy does not count as it is not released under the Universe toy line. However, 2007 Movie Fracture should count because its mould was originally created for a CHUG toy line.

Hasbro 2006 Transformers Robots In Disguise (Or better known as Classics)
    Hasbro 2008 Transformers Universe (Or better known as Universe 2.0)
    Hasbro Transformers Reveal The Shield (but only figures who have TakaraTOMY Transformers United counterpart releases)
    Hasbro Transformers Generations

TakaraTOMY Transformers Henkei! Henkei!
    TakaraTOMY Transformers United
    TakaraTOMY Transformers United Ex (I do not count Hasbro Transformers Power Core Combiners figures, but these figures fall under a United sub - line; so they count by extension)
    TakaraTOMY Transformers Generations
    TakaraTOMY Transformers Legends
    TakaraTOMY Transformers Unite Warriors

The BotCon and Transformers Collectors' Club exclusives are very grey as they often mix lines in a single theme, but for me all the sets that includes any figure that originated from the above toy lines, by extension the entire set should count as CHUG even if the set includes moulds that does not originate from the above toy lines.

How about yours?

2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

Whatever I feel like would look good on my shelf.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Yaujta

Yaujta Breadchildren. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, pretty much anything except Animated and some Prime figures. If it looks cool and fits the general aesthetic, it goes on the shelf.

4. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    the way i see it, its the main toy releases. if theirs a movie or cartoon toyline on the side, they don't count as CHUG. platinum boxs do count though.

AoE was an odd year for me.....

5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    The fact that Hasbro was using other sub-lines to fill out the Classic-verse for awhile complicates things.

While Classic/Universe/Generations (and the Japanese derivatives) are obvious, other figures from other sub-lines are a case-by-case inclusion. Most of the time, I work within "designer intent". If the intention for a repainted Energon Rodimus is to be CHUG Thunderclash, then it's CHUG Thunderclash until a better version comes along.

Speaking of which...I really don't understand the concept that Energon and Cybertron repaints are out-of-bounds. The aesthetics are extremely close to our modern Generations figures...and, at times, superior. Animated and Prime, yes...THAT I understand, although I broke that rule for myself with Timelines Megaplex (just have to continue waiting for a better version).

6. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    If it was released under Classics, Universe 2008, Generations, Thrilling 30, Reveal the Shield, CW, TR, United, Henkei, Legends, & UW then it goes on my CHUG shelf.

On the subject of Botcon/Fun Pub figures, for the most part as long as it uses a CHUG mold from those above lines it goes on my CHUG shelf, but I have made some exceptions...

Gigaton, Depth Charge, MW Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Obsidian, & Sandstorm are movie molds but they go on my CHUG shelf.

Chromedome, Cannonball, Megaplex, Rampage, & Transmutate are Prime molds but I again consider them part of my CHUG shelf.

Also Scorponok from Botcon 2014 sits on my shelfs despite being an Energon mold and Cindersaur uses a Cybertron mold

If I was to get say the Botcon 2009 sets, despite some of them using Energon/Cybertron molds would still go on my CHUG shelf as well.
    The same goes for some of the figures from the 2010, 2014, & 2016 where there are clearly figures in the sets that use none CHUG molds to be used on a CHUG shelf.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016