Which Fansproject Set is for Me?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by typev3, Aug 22, 2011.

1. typev3

typev3 @VinceSanchez

As someone who hasn't been in the hardcore Transformers toy collecting scene for very long, I have only picked up official merchandise and overlooked many 3rd party products and other customs as well. Lately, however, I've been thinking about letting go of my bad habit to only buy official retail products and get something a little more luxurious. After doing a little bit of research I've decided on getting one of the four sets listed below. So for those who own any of these products, care to help me decide?

City Commander: In truth, I was never a big fan of Ultra Magnus but this upgrade kit looks stunning. Also, I really like the classics Prime mould so having it enhanced would only make it better. Of course this is probably the most expensive Fansproject piece (of these four sets) and I don't know if dropping around $250 will really have me feeling like my money was well spent. Not to mention the fact that trying to get a classics Ultra Magnus at a decent price is another mess altogether.

Explorer & Munitioner: From pure aesthetics, the combined mode for this set is absolutely phenomenal and if money were no object then this would be the set I'd buy in a heartbeat. As far as price, the Fansproject pieces themselves aren't very expensive (at the moment) but the ROTF Bruticus set has skyrocketed to some ludicrous prices. Also, when it just comes down to the single figures themseleves, I'm much more attracted to the look and design of their repaints, Warcry & Flameblast.

Protector & Sidearm: I'm a big fan of Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime, but the design of this upgrade set doesn't appeal to me as much as the previous two - I still think it's nice though. Also, after not really falling in love with the MP Rodimus Prime I think this will definitely cheer me up. Price isn't too bad but the figure does seem a little small for what you pay. I do own a Henkei Hot Rod, so I don't have to worry about those high ebay prices in order to obtain one. I will say that regardless of my decision I'll probably still end up getting sidearm just so my Hot Rod can have a targetmaster.

Thundershred, Stormbomb & Backfiery: Originally I wasn't very interested in these figures at all, but as reviews and pictures started to pop up, I've been completely sold on them. I especially love the designs of Stormbomb & Backfiery. This is probably the best "bang for your buck" of the four sets here and the fact that they are all stand alone figures is another positive in my book. Also, my classics Decepticon shelf is a bit bare, so adding three more figures there is great.

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Get the Insecticons. More availible, less expensive. All the others bar Protector command high prices if you want the full set.

3. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Since you already have a Henkei Rodimus and you're a Rodimus fan, I gotta suggest the Protector armor. It has some excellent engineering and really reminded me of City Commander when I upgraded my Rodimus. I think its something you'll appreciate. That being sad, I think all of the choices you listed are fantastic sets.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

^ Just a word of caution if you're a fussy like I am, if you have Henkei Rodimus and you get the Protector set, you will want to get the Sidearm set as well because that contains the gold chrome spoilers for the Henkei version of Rodimus whereas the stadard Protector set only has the flat yellow ones of the Hasbro deco (which I prefer, incidentally).

You probably already knew this, but just thought I'd mention anyway. :D 

5. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No love for the G3 trailer? It's the best fansproject set for sure..... If you had g1 prime as a kid this trailer paired with Henkei prime and reprolabels will be nostalgic city.... It's so fun to mess around with and completes prime.

It's not as photogenic and it's not as instantly cool as bruticus or city commander.... On that note protector also suffers from the harder sell with his battle station and his own roller drone.... Protector kit is more than just the hot rod too rodimus armour! To me it's g3 then CC then protector only a step behind

6. typev3

typev3 @VinceSanchez

Yeah, I'm initially leaning to the Protector set the most just because it seems like it will be the cheapest and easiest for me to obtain.

LOL I'm in the same boat as you. I only have the Henkei Hot Rod but would much rather prefer the Classics version to pair with this set. Chrome is nice, but with this particular figure it just doesn't seem to 'work'. As for Sidearm, I'll be buying him regardless of whatever I end up choosing.

Being born in the late 80s meant that I never really got into G1 until later on in my life. Although, my first ever transformer was a Powermaster Optimus Prime, so the trailer nostalgia is there, but then again DOTM Ultimate OP is probably better suited for that itch.

The G3 trailer is definitely cool and I will eventually pick it up but I really want to get some special for my first 3rd party product. Though, I do like how you mentioned that Protector is sort of like a G3 trailer plus an armor set...

7. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Bye

I would say either the Protector armor and Sidearm or the Insecticons. Explorer and Munitioner and City Commander can be incredibly expensive, and that's not even including the cost of Classics Ultra Magnus or ROTF Bruticus. Protector armor is still available at normal cost, and the fact that you already have Hot Rod is a plus. Overall though I would probably recommend the Insecticons the most. Thundershred is a great figure, and the next two look to be as good or better.

8. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah that's deffs overlooked when you see pics and stuff of protector it's usually just the upgraded hot rod fig.... Need to get the reprolabel decals to pimp his gear though.

I passed on bruticus personally due to the individual figs not fitting my deluxe+ size preference but really you can't go wrong with Fansproject, the commander armors are amazing as display pieces but aren't that much fun really compared to g3 and protector... The insecticons look to be awesome and I can't wait to get em all but I find 3rd party gear is at it's best when it improves has/tak figs.... 3rd party full figs are great but I like the fun of upgrades. Headrobots hothead/stronghold is gangbusters at this... Although actually PE-SFX is pure fun as well and thats full figs so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about...

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd say either the Bruticus set or the Insecticons. You can use Energon Bruticus parts just fine and save some cash if you like, and the set is phenomenal. The insecticons are the most cost effective since they're just being released, and so far they're awesome. Not that any of FP's stuff isn't, but I think there's more room to nitpick the armor upgrade sets.

10. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Protector or City Commander without a doubt.

11. typev3

typev3 @VinceSanchez

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't even bother with City Commander or Bruticus, prices like that are too much for me.

Yeah I know what you mean about having upgrade kits vs. full figures. Upgrade sets always seem cooler, but then you actually have to have the original figure to start with. Full figures are fully functional out of the box but they do lack that certain "wow factor" that the upgrade kits have.

Never thought about using the energon parts, but then again if I'm going to be dropping that much cash, I might as well get the one I like. Also, I guess now would be the best time to get the Insecticons as their prices are only going to go up from here.

12. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    it all just depends on your personal taste and how much you're willing to spend.

city commander is amazing...if you are a magnus fan. that being said, it is still rock solid and a fun/entertaining toy even if you are not. whether it's worth the secondary market price of it + classics magnus is really up to you.

remember bruticus doesn't have to be completed with the rotf set. if you are not a stickler for the rotf color scheme, you can mix & match the 3 additional components you need over a variety of series/toys. energon barricade will work for onslaught, and you can use either the energon limbs, unreleased tf:tm scouts, or tfcc exclusives to complete bruticus. you can do it for a reasonable price, but if you plan to go this route, secure your explorer & munitioner reasonably first, then hunt the other components.

protector + sidearm + henkei rodimus might be your cheapest option. henkei rod is being reissued soon and you can land a brand new mint sealed one for $40, and protector + sidearm are available at their retail prices. it's a good set, but not as good, imo, as the other two above. it's definitely a fun entry into the world of 3rd party toys though, and it was my first 3rd party toy as well.

those are just the fp sets I own and can comment on. going for bruticus might be your best bang for the buck though if you don't mind spending a bit more then protector and hunting a little for the limbs you want.

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I didn't think the Fansproject Bruticus is still available.

14. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

I have City Commander, Protector and Bruticus.

Munitioner and Explorer are the BEST of the three...

You must have the ROTF combaticon set, though. Or the three Energon / Superlink figs...

15. 2ndSndWve

2ndSndWve Hen... Shin!

News Credits:
    protector.

16. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    Start with what you can afford

Addons
    Since you have a Rodimus get protector, If you like it plan ahead and save up for a City Commander or one of it's cousins Shadow or Powered Commander. City commander is great but try your best to talk down the price on ebay you may get lucky.

Stand Alone Figures: I really can't recommend any Since I haven't got any yet, but those insecticons are calling to me. At 50 a pop they would be easier to get than Warbot, Explorer, Munitioner, Warcry, & Flameblast.

17. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From somebody who is in the same position, let me offer this advice. Right now, I think you'd be lucky to get a complete CC for $250. The set itself was only recently made available through BBTS for $130. It's long gone, so you're looking at aftermarket prices on that (typically in the $200 range). Ultra Magnus is damn near unacquireable at this point. I've been chasing him on eBay, and he's going for between $80-$110 himself. I even saw an incomplete one (no weapons) in used condition go for almost $70. So he's gonna cost you.

Bruticus is similar. The box set of Combaticons will cost you up to $200 (if you can get it for $150, good for you). Even catching the old energon pieces is going to cost you. Getting them is still likely to run you $100. As for the two FP upgardes, the cheapest I've seen them anywhere is $140. So I think you'll need at least $300 to get Bruticus going.

I don't have the protector armor, but have been contemplating it myself. Very much acquireable for the $83 price that he's been from the onset, but he's selling out of some stores, so I'd suggest acting fast. I'm on the fence about this one. I watched one review that wasn't all that favorable, so I'm not sure. But this is your cheapest option if you have the Hot Rod. Can be done for under $100.

Obviously the Insecticons are readily available. You can get the first one right now and pre-order the others. If you don't like Thundershred, than you can bail on the next 2 and you're only out $50. Lots of mixed reviews on him, but personally I like it very much. He is fully deluxe sized, and very sturdy. I love the aesthetic, and re-imagining them as ninjas is great, in my opinion.

So, for a first time third party purchase, I'd recommend Thundershred. Still available, comparatively cheap, and a good gauge for how much you're going to like FansProject stuff.

Hope that's helpful.

18. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    OK, I am going to do my best here. Hopefully this helps you make up your mind. I personally would recommend City Commander, but here is my opinion on each:

If you think $250 is sharp, just you wait. The recent stock that was seen was just an overstock. Word has it that no more are being made. The price of this thing has always been high. I would suggest:

1- Check with TJ. He can probably do them for cheaper. I know he has extras
    2- Put a want in the Wants section. You would be surprised, you maybe able to get it on the cheap.
    3- Check EBay. But not like once every couple of days, I mean stalk Ebay. I was able to get my City Commander with Ultra Magnus for $170 shipped from EBay on a buy now. It was literally up for less then a minute when I sniped it.

Don't worry about the price of the ROTF figures. What I recommend is getting those ROTF figures individually. I was able to pick up the main pieces for him individually for like $40. If you want to hunt down the boxed set, that is on you, but it is not worth the price.

Also, you can use the Energon Baricade (Onslaught) as the center piece for a G1 feel. You can find him for as low as $10 sometimes. Actually here he is:
    Transformers Energon Barricade | eBay

Also, if you want you can always get the wrong colored limbs. If you want the coolness of Bruticus, this is the way to go as well. If anything you can get the other limbs later.

I have to say, this one should be the last one you get. First off they are still easy to find. Besides that, the thing doesn't really look that great. Out of all the protector Armors, the standard one is the worse looking of the bunch for me anyway. I bought that damn thing and it's sitting in a box at the moment.

Just get the target master and call it a day, your not missing much.

OK, I have to say that these are fantastic. I would make these the 3rd in the group. They are still really easy to find and in stock. Hunt down the others on your list first and take it from there.

But these are a must buy.

Also, you can check out the Radicon section for some of the parts being made for this guy to make him more G1ish.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/444225-insect-add-parts.html

Ok, hope this helps.

19. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    You are looking, at this moment, to spend about this:

1. CC: 350$. 250 for armor, 100$ for Magnus. If you don't love Magnus, forget about him. If you just want the mold, get DIA Commander KO. THe quality is as good as the real thing. Unfortunately, CC KO isn't.

2. Bruticus Set: 250-300$. 200 for FP stuff, 50-100$ on finding a Bruticus. He is great for any combiner fans, and also a great center piece to collection (its not my center. My centers are A LOT bigger though ^^; ). Either way, its a good piece, esp if you love combiners.

3. Protector: 100$ if you have Roddy. It sounds like you have already, but don't use Battle in Space roddy. He looks like shit with the armor. If you don't have any other Roddy, its 40$ for the classics on Preorder.

4. Insecticons: 150$ Worth it if you like insecticons, and this is FP's latest engineering feat. So Take that into account.

20. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

Ok, I don't own any of them and have yet to buy anything 3rd party.

I own a naked classics Magnus and like him that way.

Not a Hot Rod fan, so that's that.

Love the look of Swindle & Blast Off but the combined Bruticus never did it for me, too many parts-former bits. Not my bag.

The Insecticons look gorgeous and are the nearest thing to tempt me in to the 3rd party market (having been personally warned off Hercules from somebody who owns Exgraver).

Question to the OP: Have you considered not-Springer? What about the Gears of War set?