Which DotM Prime to Get?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ratchets Hatch, May 15, 2011.

?

Which Optimus Prime should I get?

Poll closed May 18, 2011.
  1. Deluxe Wal-mart Exclusive

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Voyager Two-Pack with Commetor Wal-mart Exclusive

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    I just recently got DotM voyager Megatron, and I'm really enjoying him. :D  But now I need a Prime with a decent paint job that's more or less in scale with him. DotM voyager Prime is out, because his paint job is just awful, so that narrows it down to (1) the DotM deluxe version and (2) the voyager repaint that comes in the two-pack with Commetor. Both of them are Wal-mart exclusives.

[​IMG]

I love deluxe prime's vehicle mode - the chrome and the flames make him very screen-acurate. He will also look great next to Voyager Megs. On the down side, his robot mode is a little on the short side, and his Mechtech weapon looks kind of cheesy. I also worry that he might look too small next to my other deluxe Autobots.

[​IMG]

The other option is the "Moon Mission" exclusive two-pack. I missed out on getting Battle Blades Prime, so this guy would be a good substitute. The pack itself is a great value since you get Commetor as well. Prime's robot mode is very nice, he has his guns and hooks, which is awesome, and he's about the same height as voyager Megatron in robot mode. Still, I'm not sure how I feel about his "stars and moon" paint apps.

I would prefer to get just one of the two. I'm really at a loss on this one, so tell me, which version should I get?

2. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Your first problem is being a scale whore- it ain't NEVER going to work out with Transformers. Plus, to hit everyone at the "right size" you are probably going to have to get multiple sizes (like, the deluxe prime will NEVER be "size right" with the rest of the deluxe Autobots)

But that said, I'd highly encourage you to wait a few months. Optimus is a key character and there are at least 4 that I can think of due "day 1". Plus numerous redecos and reworkings are likely planned. Plus a likely leader figure and probably a few more store exclusives.

At this point, I really don't see a need for you to get a Prime NOW (plus, deluxe Prime isn't due until end of June last I knew), especially with so much to come.

3. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    He's probably right, but BB Prime is exactly the same size as voyager Megatron & looks really good next to him, but the deluxe has the updated chest design etc if you want the 'latest look'.

If scale's your thing, then the Battle Blade Prime/Redeco with Commetor is your best bet right now. Personally, i'd go & track down the original deco on here or ebay, since those stars may take off some of the flames if you remove them.

4. Wes Crayon

Wes Crayon Well-Known Member

Certainly, if you want or don't mind having Comettor, the 2-pack is the best deal (for scale and price) -- and I dunno when the deluxe Prime is due, but the 2-pack is out now. Also, the stars aren't terribly visible in robot mode, and you could probably remove them with some rubbing alcohol. (You'd likely end up damaging the flame pattern on the truck doors, but that's the only place that the stars overlap the deco. The window details appear to be stickers.)

However, there are problems with the figure. For one, the transformation is kinda complicated. Some folks like it, but I'm not a fan (though your mileage may vary; some of these parts tab in ridiculously tightly on mine). QC can also be an issue; the forearm/hood pieces can be pretty loose, and there's noticeable mold degradation on the hands. But the biggest problem is that the pegs holding the battle hooks in place stick out too far, which makes for a pretty unsightly hood gap in vehicle mode. See the pics here:

http://www.actoys.net/show/rbtc/tfc/2011-04-13/tfj8160.html

On my copy, even the grille doesn't want to stay tabbed together.

Most of these issues are less problematic if you plan to keep the figure in robot mode most of the time, though. You'll still have to contend with the loose forearms and deformed hands... but you may get lucky there. :) 

5. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the vehicle-mode scale is better with deluxe Prime, but robot-mode scale is better with BB Prime.

I'm considering getting both! They are right in impulse-buy range.

6. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Well, since Megatron is a truck WITH a trailer, and Optimus is the truck ONLY, good luck getting an in-scale Prime.

7. Stryker055

Stryker055 Trying my best here!

Ebay:
    I'm getting both. The Voyager is a great deal (love the Comettor mold and never had the BB Prime) and the Deluxe is an amazing feat of engineering.

On top of that, I'm getting the Voyager and the Ultimate. Oh dear, I'm becoming a Hasbro sheep...

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Walmart Voyager Prime is the same mold as the Battle Blades Optimus and it's a larger scale than the DOTM Voyagers. You're kinda out of luck.

9. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Of the two, the two-pack.

Save your money and the Takara Jet-Prime. It'll be delicious.

10. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I think Deluxe Prime is too small in bot-mode, so if I had to choose from just those two, I would go with the 2-pack Voyager. Though if you were to extend your set of options, I would seriously consider the new DotM Prime mold.

If it's not too much trouble, could you snap a picture of them next to each other in bot-mode? I've been trying to find a size comparison of DotM Voyager Megs next to the TF1 Voyager Prime mold, but haven't had any luck...

11. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Definitely get the one with Comettor. It's a great mold for Optimus, and having a Comettor bonus makes the pack. And if I remember correctly, it's just about the same price of a normal voyager size.

12. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    I'd say Moonie Prime. The mold is FAR superior to the DOTM version. In robot mode you won't see most of the stars from truck mode. As far as the windsheild goes, here's 2 options.

1. Mask off the figure and spray them black.

2. If you aren't comfortable with painting, cut 2 pieces of electrical tape to fit. Easily removable should the day come you change your mind.

And idk about the rest of the star deco in truck mode, taking them off might in fact take the flames off too.

13. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    Sure!

[​IMG]

Prime is about an inch taller than Megs, so they're not THAT out of proportion in robot mode.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the low-quality photos, but that should give you some idea of how they look together.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and opinions everybody! You've been a big help! I'm going to wait a few weeks before getting a DotM prime just to see how things go. I'll have to see the voyager in person before I decide, but I may end up getting both the two-pack and the deluxe just for the heck of it.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks for the comparison pictures. Prime is a lot taller next to Megs than I was estimating. Looks like I'll be renaming my Defender Prime as "Ultra Magnus" (different enough deco that it works for me), and will be getting a new Prime after all. Though if I can help it, I might put-off buying Megs and Prime till after Botcon. That way if they reveal a Leader Megs figure I might just skip the Voyagers of them entirely. I just hope I'll still be able to find a Voyager Megs at that time, just in-case the Leader doesn't happen.

15. asiansohardcore

asiansohardcore New Member

One advise buddy. never use prime as the standard of your scale. Im a scale whore myself. I reckon battle blade bumble bee is the best to use as a scale standard. I got every single robot that ever come out in movie 1 and 2 and they all pretty much scale. Take battle blade deluxe class bumble bee as the standard, dotm voyager Ironhide, deluxe sidearm sidewipe, deluxe mudflap, deluxe skid, final battel jazz, rotf deluxe rachet, deluxe jolt, leader class optimus prime. For the fact that dotm prime trailer cant really fit in any deluxe class other than dotm series, is an epic fail. I way prefer the leader prime that come with jetfire. all you need is a g3 trailer that is done. you can easily put a bumble bee in the trailer. I was expecting someday somebody will make a trailer for leader class prime. that would be sick. Man, believe me, you not gonna like other prime after you own a rotf leader class.

16. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    So being a scale whore works just fine for Transformers? :) 

17. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Takara Voyager Prime with MechTech trailer. :) 

18. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought Voyager megs cause I saw him in person in real life.

I see a Voyager optimus and laugh at his deluxe sized bodice.

I respected Megs cause the guards said if I scratched myself on his knives I would die due to rust poisoning.

19. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    This.

20. Sam Witwicky

Sam Witwicky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Takara Optimus with MechTech trailer looks like the best voyager size one to me but all and in all I think the dotm deluxe Optimus is really cool and I was so excited when I found out they were releasing a deluxe Optimus. Now one other I would recommand would be Fireburst Prime he looks really awesome and he comes with one badass axe/tomhawk weapon. Here are pics of him here Flickr: Lu_awaken's Photostream