which do you prefer in a toy line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cyber-Kun, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    I remember back in Beast Wars era, and some recent franchises as well, having all the characters in one toy only, or if its the same character as another toy, it would be with significant changes (IE, Rattrap, Transmetal Rattrap), so essentially, characters weren't offered in different size classes, offering more original toys, whereas newer lines (most recent Animated) have offered same characters in different classes, allowing customers to choose and pick what they want.
    So which do you prefer?
    I myself have mixed reservations for both. On the one hand, if there were only 1 version of a character, it would open up slots for other potential characters (if there were no Roll out Prime, then there might have been a Supreme Class Omega Supreme). But I'm also a stickler for scale (or closest to), so if there were only deluxe Bumblebee, then I activators would not exist and I would have a massive Bumblebee.
    So, what are your opinions in a toy line, prefer multiple size classes of same character, or single character in a single class and more original molds in their place?

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    in animated we could have easily skipped roll out crap prime for omega, and technically activators is a different line than the deluxe, so bb would've still came out as that, the only one i would miss with a second mold is bulkhead, the little one i could've skipped though lol

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I prefer a line have multiple options for characters, not all of the characters, but an option for certain ones (like Prime and Megs for two good examples), is nice, imo. Though it can get a bit out of hand, like Movie Bumblebee and Prime. I still think that Animated Ultra Magnus and Earth-mode Megs should have gotten Voyager class toys as well as their Leader class figures. Ultras, Leaders, and Supremes are three size classes I don't buy a lot of (in fact, I don't have any Supreme class figures yet).

4. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    I think we should have only one version of each character. This would allow for more unique characters. With Animated, deluxe Optimus Prime earth, deluxe Optimus Prime Cybertron and deluxe Megatron could have been replaced with all 3 Constructicons. Roll Out Command Prime could have been replaced with Omega Supreme. Leader Bulkhead with Leader Lugnut. Voyager Lugnut with... you get the idea. Still the same number of unique molds, but more characters.

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The more the merrier, I reckon. I tend to obsess with favourite characters/moulds so being able to get multiple of the character/toy I like works fine for me. (Nothing in animated so far, though, except for Prowl :( )

I suppose having multiple versions of popular characters is more profitable?

6. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I prefer having one show-accurate version of the character, and all their forms (ala Cheetor: a regular beast mode, Transmetal, and Transmetal II) as opposed to 2 versions of one character's form (ala Bulkhead: more-show-accurate Voyager and less-show-accurate Leader).

Yeah I would have much preferred Bulkhead to be leader-sized and have the wrecking ball like in the show.

7. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    do you guys remember how many versions of Batman there were in the '90's? Or Wolverine? The reason for that is they sell. They keep the lines going. The more versions of the most popular charactors that are out there the btter chances of seeing the more obscure ones next to them on the shelves. So I'm okay with 2 or 3 versions of some figures if it betters my chances of seeing new ones.

8. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    actually, i believe thats more because one Batman toy wont be able to fit the glider, jet pack, aqua gear, stealth mode, night vision, misile shooting, zipline sliding, invisible gimmicks. characters like them need multiple toys to work in multiple gimmicks. but with Transformers, 1 is enough.

id rather have Strika over Bulkhead (with a more accurate Leader toy), the Constructicons over the Battle Begins guys, Cyclonus over V. Megatron, Omega Supreme over Supreme Prime.

((with Activators, its different-like not being able to make an FAB cause it was in the movie line.))

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Each character in a single size class, allowing for more unique characters throughout the line. I'd rather have the opportunity to increase the size and variety of my "cast" of toys, rather than having the same character appear multiple times, at multiple sizes, just to satisfy the "scale" fetishists.

10. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I have a hard enough time buying a repaint. If I buy on outside of its "scale", oh well. I'll deal.

More original molds FTW. I like having diversity :) 

11. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Personally speaking, I think they should quit wasting plastic on various versions and just make one toy per character in the most appropriate size... and repaint molds ONLY if it actually makes sense to the original character itself or is commonly accepted as an entirely new character (ie: the Seekers).

12. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In my perfect toy world, I'd like one definitive figure to come out for each character, with no worries about how many figures in each class you have. So Lugnut, Blackout, and I guess Stryka would join Magnus, Bulkhead and Megatron. I don't mind a Supreme class Prime (I don't own or want it, I like my Voyager Prime), but that shouldn't get in the way of a Supreme class Omega Supreme. Shrink Bumblebee a bit, like down to Scout class perhaps, or at least tweak his Deluxe so it isn't as tall as it is. Bump Sentinel Prime up to a Voyager. Perhaps Slag/Snarl/whatever the triceratops Dinobot in Animated is called up to a Voyager as well.

Businesswise, I know why this wouldn't happen, since you'd end up with a much larger group of Voyagers and Leaders when it's easier to sell a ton of Deluxes, a large group of Voyagers, a few Leaders and the occasional Supreme.

I don't like repaints (not referring to repaints which are separate characters, but repaints like Shadowblade Megatron or Rescue Ratchet), so I'd rather not see them, especially if they take up shelf space, don't sell, and end up an excuse for Hasbro to say 'Leaders don't sell as well, so we'll stick to three per line/movie and that's that.' If Leaders don't sell as well as some have claimed on here previously when the '___ should get a Leader' argument pops up (and I have no reason to doubt those sales claims, nor do I intend to), then I'd rather skip the repaints altogether.

13. Skyquake87

Skyquake87 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I miss the Beast Wars sizes (Basic/Deluxe/Mega/Ultra). Those sizes meant you could get a decent figure whatever your budget. I find having to plump straight for a Deluxe at £13 means I think twice about picking up TFs. Some of the voyager class haven't always been worth the £24 they now cost, particularly when the boxed figure isn't actually that much bigger than a Deluxe! The Leader class is a bit of a mixed bag. There's no real need to make the Leaders absolutely massive and charge a fortune for them really, but they do occasionally come up trumps (Animated Megs is a fine piece of work). I found it quite refreshing that BW Transmetal Primal & Megs came out in the Mega size category meaning you had the option to buy new versions of existing characters and not feel like you were being ripped off.

Yeah, we have activators at a lower price point but there's little play value to them (not much in the way of actually Transforming) or you get those rubbishy 'Legends' toys that just look like they came out of a cracker.

It was just great that Beast Wars had a large range of characters at that the £5 mark, followed by Deluxes at £10, Boxed larger Mega figures at £15 and then the Ultras at £20-£25. That for me was a good price range and kept the line affordable (and possibly successful!), and allowed for a lot of variety. I think this is where Hasbro have lost their way abit by spinning out the same core characters in a variety of sizes and formats. It might be more cost effective, but it robs the line of any quality or inherent value.

14. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I prefer a character to a single class size. I generally don't go and buy different sized versions of a character, I like to have a single representation of them in what I consider to be their best, saves room and money.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I do wonder if having the same characters over multiple size classes increases or decreases sales. Do parents look at all the Bumblebees and tell their kid they already have a Bumblebee and so skip all the other classes of him, or do they say 'You like Bumblebee, so we'll get all the versions for you'.

16. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I normally don't mind either way, and most of the time the multiple size variants are Optimus. The exception was with Animated. The voyager version was very good so there was no need for a supreme. Especially when the larger toy was less attractive and less detailed. Six Optimi for a relatively short and small line is crossing the line.

17. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    One show-accurate and nicely-scaled toy for each character, please. And nothing more.

18. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I like what the cybertron line did. Lots of varying size classes. Endless characters ; but unlike g1 the set is designed to display well together.

that mostly did'nt repeat until legends were introduced.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I prefer the multiple choices. That way I can satisfy all my diverse children's toy needs with the same charatcer. (for instance, I love Deluxe BB from Anmated, I think he's THE BEST BB, but the Activator's is a lot of fun and small for when he has to fight big guys)

20. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

As far as size-classes go, I buy them as long as they fit the character. Pretty much goes for molds too. For that reason, I keep to mainly Deluxes and Voyagers. Aside from Unicron, I don't own anything larger.

If a character's supposed to be larger than the rest, then make them larger. Unless say they're big for weird reasons, ie: Astrotrain fitting all the other Decepticons inside.

Lines like Activators or Fast Action Battlers should have no bearing whatsoever on whether a character was released in any other line. It's a gimmick line, nothing more. And I think the same should go between franchise lines as well. Because there's a Movie Jazz and an Animated Jazz, we can't get a Universe Jazz? That's just stupid. They're all entirely different designs and styles, and almost entirely different characters. It's beating a dead horse, I know, but it's a fair point.

Anyway. That's where I stand. The more characters & molds, the better. The Classics/Universe figures are essentially G1 25 years later. That's the stance Hasbro should be taking with the Universe line a whole. Give us G1 again.