Which do you prefer: built-in weapons or separate weapons?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OP84, Dec 10, 2011.

1. OP84

OP84 Well-Known Member

When Transformers started out, most characters carried around laser rifles and other weapons, but when the first live-action TF movie came out, they suddenly had their weapons integrated into their systems and Prime followed suit. But in DOTM, their weapons (with for a few exceptions) were suddenly handheld. Now in my opinion, I could understand Optimus sporting handheld weapons since he has a trailer now, but what about Megatron and Ironhide? In the two years since ROTF, they could've easily gotten their original weapons back. What do you think?

2. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Force Ghost

News Credits:
    I prefer built-in weapons for the most part, as they make the most sense for the bots, but don't mind hand-held weapons if they either serve to define a character (such as Megatron's hobo gun) or have a logical explaination (weapons made by Wheeljack, from Prime's trailer).

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I prefer hand-held weapons. Additional built-in weapons are cool though.

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Beast Wars had internal weapons long before the movies.

I like both and feel they don't have to be exclusive.

5. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm fine with either. Although, built-in weapons are more personal which l like alot. Like, hey this weapon is mine and mine only. Instead of everyone has the same weapon as me, so theres nothing significant about this weapon.

6. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Depends on how the Built-In is done. I don't like hands turning into guns, but I'm fine with guns on the arms or swords that come out of the arm.

So normally, I like Seperate Weapons.

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Built in weapons look a hell of a lot cooler. It also makes more sense. If I were a transformer, why would I want to hold a weapon as opposed to just making it apart of my appendage?

8. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Doesn't really matter to me.

9. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    built in weapons make more sense, but there's nothing like seeing Them picking up these huge handheld weapons and doing damge. So as usual, no preference, I like both depending on the scene

10. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as the weapons looks good I have no problems. I have a problem with figures like Universe Onslaught - Ultra class hulk of destruction with a teeny tiny wrist blaster. Does not compute.

11. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

I like both but I vote for separate weapons, and not giant weapons please.

12. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I like both. Built in for some weaker guns and swords and stuff but big guns that do lots of damage and big weapeon like axes and stuff as hand held.

13. Jetcracker54

Jetcracker54 Fire Truck

both hand held are a bit more convenient i think but built in weapons all ways look nice like wfc bbs swords they fit the character nicely even though in the game he has one sword that he holds primes axe needs to be hand held and so do larger guns due to the size

14. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    For cannons I'll go the path of the Megaman
    For small guns ike pistols, I'll go guns akimbo.
    Swords can go either way.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It's not a huge deal for me. On the one hand, unique weapon systems that are integrated into a Transformer can be a part of their character, like Ironhide's liquid nitrogen sprayer, Windcharger's magnetics, Prime's facehooks, etc. But at the same time, I like the idea of weapons like rifles and such being separate from the main Transformer, because it adds another detail to playing with them, and because, for the Autobots, it drives the point home that they weren't built to kill, and that these weapons were things they had to take up to survive.

16. DinoFreakUSA

DinoFreakUSA Well-Known Member

I prefer built in guns, blasters, and cannons but I like hand-held melee weapons.

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I like hand held guns, mostly for the plot potential of having them knocked out of a character's hand and then the scramble to grab it to defend themselves. You can't get that with built in weapons.

Built in works too, and it sort of plays into the whole idea that these are transforming alien robots if the guns form out of their own limbs, but it's a lot harder to do decent drama where robots are disarmed, because with that you're quite literally smashing up body parts. I guess you could go the Beast Wars route and have the power get drained though - Beast Wars also used hand weapons for when this happened as they had their own power supplies.

18. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

I prefer built-in weapons, really. I'll make a few exceptions, like for certain melee weapons (Animated Optimus wouldn't be the same of his axe was arm-mounted, ditto for Armada Starscream's wing sword) or for firearms like a sniper rifle, which kind of needs to be handheld.

19. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I like ones that are a part of their alt mode, IE: G1 Megatron's Cannon, the Alternators Guns.

20. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I prefer good ol' fashioned hand-held weapons, though built-in weapons can be cool too. A mix of both isn't necessarily a bad thing.

However, a lot of people seem to be treating hand-held weapons as being less practical than built-in, which is actually not the case. Using hand-held weapons incorporate a lot more versatility and flexibility, especially if you're operating in conditions where limited ammo and personal damage is a factor.

After all, a hand, and a gun that fits into that hand, is pretty much the most basic, interchangeable hardpoint system you can use.

zmog