Which decepticons have the capability or most likely to switch sides?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by chaossentry, May 24, 2010.

1. chaossentry

chaossentry Member

I saw there was a thread for the reverse on this site,and with Thundercracker recently showing a change of heart it brings up the question. These are my choices and why.

Constructicons- They value intelligence,progressive works in science which autobots like to do alot of. They also seem to be compared to other decepticons not as cruel or sadistic.

Combaticons- They are considered soldiers and view themselves as such. Soldiers in a war tend to fight for a just cause to end a war and win,not random slaughter for the sake of it. They would see honor in the field fighting under the banner of the autobots and especially under Optimus Prime.

Thundercracker- For stated above obvious reasons.

Octane- Given his brief alliance with Sandstorm. feeling the decepticons would never truly trust him. He would find sollace with the autobots.

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They all have the capability of switching sides since they have free will.

Starscream has switched sides in Armada & was close to switching in the one novel. In the DW series, he worked with them against Sunstorm & saved Bumblebee so maybe not a side switch there, but did show some Autobot tendencies there.

It also seems that without leadership, many of the Decepticons will not act evily it seems.

3. Unicron the Pla

Unicron the Pla Cybertronian Accountant

Dough I agree with most of the characters you stated above, I do find it hard to see the Combaticons Switching sides. Yes some would change sides but not all, especially Swindle. I mean the guy cares only about making a profit so he is most likely to go back and fort betweens sides just to see who could make him a quick buck. Dont get me wrong I like Swindle he is in fact one of my favorites.
    I do see some Decepticons with out there leader leaving the Decepticon cause. Maybe if you apeal to his logic Shockwave would gladly leave the Decepticons and join the Autobots, he has stated how logic is his true master, enough actually to take comand of the Decepticons for some time. In the War With In he did help the Autobots in order to stop the Fallen.

4. chaossentry

chaossentry Member

That's actually kind of interesting because when I think of starscream. No matter what depiction of him in any continuity he is always power hungry and so ambitious he can't see past himself. Even among decepticons I see him as the type that would forgo the concept of team. He always seemed the most unlikely to ever want to change.

5. chaossentry

chaossentry Member

The only reason i mentioned the combaticons is mostly how they see themselves as militaristic figures. Rather than just machines that kill for the sake of it. decepticons fell into the whole sale slaughter motiff a while ago and much like thundercracker who see's himself as a good soldier. it's somthing that i feel gives them pause.

No other decepticon to me has that incentive or even mental stability to want to join the autobots. Shockwave to him he would say that logic say's superior decepticon numbers equals better chance of victory. logic would tell him the autobots are a losing campaign.

6. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

No way the constructicons or combaticons switch sides. They are to cool and badass to be autobots.

7. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Combaticons are more like their own side. They weren't called Decepticon renegades for nothing.

Contructicons if they were based on G1 cartoon they are Decepticons that were reprogrammed by Megatron or created Megatron. In any case Omaga Supreme and Chip Chase had the same idea reprogramming them. But it didn't work.

Its like in Beast Wars where a shell program is placed to subvert the personality program. But given that they participated in slagging a Prime I guess the Autobots weren't saints and reprogrammed them accordingly.

8. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

didnt megatron rebuild the combaticons to be loyal warriors ??

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    starscream built them to overthrow megatron in the cartoon

10. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Meg's overthrew Screamer and banished him to a asteriod, but quickly reinstated them to combat a Autobot combiner.
    Does Mirage not count in this?

11. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
  12. chaossentry

chaossentry Member

Yeah mostly G1. thanks for the page. very informative.

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think it's worth noting that there should be a distinction between splintering or leaving the Decepticons and actually switching sides. To truly switch, you'd have to be ready to join the Autobots (and be accepted).

There probably are some Decepticons that would switch, but I also disagree with some of your choices. The issue is that you're mainly observing the apparent "theme" of the team, not necessarily the distinct personalities that make them up.

Some Constructicons wouldn't make good Autobots really... half of them are true builders and scientists (Scrapper, Mixmaster, Hook), but the other half are just simple labourers. Scrapper IS, in fact, frighteningly cruel, twisted and sadistic. Read his Tech Spec, especially the long version... he would never switch. Bonecrusher is a violent destructive brute. Granted, so is Twin Twist, but neither really fits the Autobot ideal.

Hook is an insufferable egotist and Mixmaster is a reckless, deranged mad scientist... both are sort of borderline. They might join the Autobots, though the bots may not WANT them. :) 

Long Haul and Scavenger on the other hand, might join the bots simply because they both crave respect, and the Autobots seem to be a more supportive group. Scavenger is too much of a simpleton to really be terribly evil, and Long Haul just wants a chance to prove himself and be a great warrior/hero. Both might easily switch under the right circumstances (actually befriending a bot, for example)

Combaticons? Vortex is too twisted and cruel. Blast Off is too much of an arrogant swine to ever ally himself with dirt-digging Bots. Brawl is just another monstrous thug. Swindle is dangerously close to being a criminal even among his own kind. Onslaught is probably the most even-tempered of the bunch. However much as he fights to win, I think he also simply loves war. He loves the strategy, loves the conflict, loves the mental challenge. A peaceful universe would likely be too boring for one of his talents.

Who else does that leave us with? There are a few Cons that seem to be a little less sociopathic, even if they have their issues. But not many feel like they would actually ever switch.

Thundercracker obviously.... the original questioning Con. Dead End and Breakdown maybe. That's about it...

zmog

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Yes sort of.

15. Barberism

Barberism Reaper of Skulls

Drift!

I'll get me coat...

16. chaossentry

chaossentry Member

I took into account that distinct members individually. Although you notice that the constructicons and combaticons themselves can make themselves work as a gestalt despite they themselves having different personalities. If they are able to make it work despite it all. I don't see switching sides any different. Cause at least with switching sides you are still your own individual. As a gestalt you are intergrated on a personal level that is forced to get along in order to function.

couple of autobots that can be called into question given their persona's and how they fit in with the cause can begin with their most heavy hitters in dinobots.

Now im not saying all can do this,the stunticons for example would never be able to,nor would the terrorcons or predacons from (G1) or soundwave or blitzwing.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The Dinoforce are my favorite turncoats, although they were betrayed by their leader first.

18. Mykamusprime

Mykamusprime Well-Known Member

Exactly this.^ with
    The constructicons: the effect of the robo-smasher are irreversable.

The combaticons: they were renegade decepticons locked up by Megatron not because they might be good guys but because they were renegades.

Starscream: enough said.

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

See, I tend to look at Combiner teams as groups of individuals, with a special tactical unit function. It's true that most of them would probably stick to their team, but this isn't always the case. Long Haul is not satisfied with his job and the respect he gets from his fellows. I could see him being tempted away from the Cons, though on the other hand, he might look down on the Autobots too much to think of them as a truly glorious alternative.

Scavenger is like a dog... whoever feeds him most recently is his best friend. :) 

Blast Off isn't a team player. He doesn't like combining with the other Combaticons. Of course, he's too stuck up to go Autobot, but I think it shows that he might not always go with his team.

Regarding the Terrorcons and Predacons, I agree. With only a couple of examples, they're all WAY too savage to work with the Bots. Reading the Predacon bios, other than Razorclaw, they're all total psychos. Soundwave is utterly despicable... even the other Decepticons hate him. Blitzwing... he's a violent, cruel jerk... so I'd say he's a Con through and through.

But here's where I really disagree... the Stunticons. They, perhaps more than any other team, would be prone to fracturing. Remember all the Stunticons hate Motormaster passionately. I could see a couple of them being driven away by his cruelty and abuses. Motormaster obviously is pure evil. Drag Strip and Wildrider are pure sociopaths... but Dead End and Breakdown really could switch, I think.

Breakdown isn't exactly sane... he's a stress case, and he'd probably be more comfortable in a more nurturing environment... better still if he could just get away from the war entirely. He's way too paranoid, and living as a Con must be torture for him.

Dead End also has no interest in the war, or the Decepticon cause. He's a low-key individualist, and he's smart. I don't see him really believing in either cause very much, so that makes him a bit unpredictable. Breakdown and Dead End might not defect to the Autobots, but I could totally see them deserting.

Absolutely. The Autobots are FULL of fringe cases. Snarl, Slag and even Grimlock all have classic Decepticon personalities. Slag's pretty much every bit as bad as Blitzwing.

Also, Twin Twist, Ramhorn, Hubcap, Sunstreaker, Afterburner, Repugnus... you can't help wondering what keeps them in line. Could be the only reason they fight with the Autobots at all is because the Decepticons took something from them, hurt them in some way, and now it's just personal. If it weren't for the war, many of those guys would probably be in prison. :) 

Dinoforce?

zmog

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Dinoforce were a group of Destrons from the Victory series.