Which DC Direct firgure would you recomend

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Eradicator, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

I've beeen thinking of getting one of the Alex Ross Superman figs. Either Kingdom Come or the regular Justice league one(also the Alex Ross version)

I want to get one of them for one reason: to display next to Elsworlds President Superman. I want to display them together because of a Superboy episode that had an alternate reality Superboy who was a dictator called the Sovereign. Other than the Russian based emblem the suit for Pres Superman is almost identical to the Sovereigns in that Superboy episode.

here's a link to pics of the Sovereign: http://www.geocities.com/dmwc/roadsphotos2.htm

Would the Alex Ross figures even work size wise? The two Superman figs I already have(the one from the Justice League gift set and the first one that had Cyborg Superman in the same wave) are a tiny bit too short. I have Alex Ross Hal Jordan, and he's the right size so that's why I thought the Alex Ross Superman figs should be the right size.

So, what does everybody think.

2. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I would try to go for the JLA superman figure.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd say the Kingdom Come Supes. The JLA version is cool, but I think scale and pose work better with the KC figure. He was hard to get before, but DC Direct's re-releasing him with the KC Wondy, Batman, and (I think?) Shazam.

4. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

If the Alex Ross Green Lantern is the correct size, then you certainly want to go with either Kingdom Come Superman or Justice Superman - both are Alex Ross versions. The Alex Ross Justice Captain Marvel, Black Adam and Hawkman are awesome as well.

Where is that show in the link from? Was it aired in the US?

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I seriously recommend the Superman below...he was originally released in the "Superman" line before being reissued in the JLA series. If I'm not mistaken, he will be reissued in the "Reactivated" series.

The Alex Ross figures are well done but they're not in scale with the average ML figure or DC Direct figure.

[​IMG]

6. Eradicator

Thanks for your responses so far.

LigerPrime. I do have that one. It's a tad too short.

Gort. It's from "Superboy",(the title later changed to "The adventures of Superboy") and it was shown in the US althoguh I think it may have been a bit sporadic at least in my area. It aired from 88-92. The first season has been released on dvd, but the revamped it in the second through last seasons. They changed actors of Superboy and Lex Luthor.

Here's tv.com's listing for it: http://www.tv.com/the-adventures-of...ome's hair wouldn't make him look even older.

7. Eradicator

Thanks for your responses so far.

LigerPrime. I do have that one. It's a tad too short.

Gort. It's from "Superboy",(the title later changed to "The adventures of Superboy") and it was shown in the US althoguh I think it may have been a bit sporadic at least in my area. It aired from 88-92. The first season has been released on dvd, but the revamped it in the second through last seasons. They changed actors of Superboy and Lex Luthor.

Here's tv.com's listing for it: http://www.tv.com/the-adventures-of...ry.html?q=Superboy&tag=search_results;title;0

I have a few things I'm conscerned with slightly with both figs. With the JL Superman it'd be my third DC Direct Superman in his standard suit. With Kingdom Come, I'm wondering if he'd look too old next to President Superman. Pres Sups looks older, but I'm not sure if the grey in Kingdom Come's hair wouldn't make him look even older.

8. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I just picked this guy up Mongul and man he is HUGE.
    [​IMG]
    Size Compairison with Knightfall Bane.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Go for the AR: Justice Superman.

It's a far better and larger sculpt, and would fit in better with your intended display. Trust me, I have both Red Son Supes, as well as Justice Supes and KC Supes.

The KC sculpt is very disjointed, the head and torso size don't line up, leaving the figure looking weird. The head also looks like it has make up on, and it is a smaller figure, not much larger then the original Superman/JLA super articulate version.

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shucks! I so totally forgot about the Mongul I purchased a few weeks ago! Strangely, I find his sculpt as in the pose similar to Marvel Select's Ultimate Hulk's especially the hands!

11. Eradicator

Interesting. I don't supose you have any pics of them together would you? I have seen pics online that make KS Supes look like he wearing make-up and forgot about it until you mentioned it. I may go with the AR:Justice one, but I did notice something recently. DC Direct is releasing another Superman in the KC suit for the Public Enemies line just called Future Superman. I'd imagine it would just be a repaint of the first Superman from that line. How would that one compare in size?

One thing I've noticed about President Superman and that whole wave is the sculpts look more like they were taken directly from the comics, almost cartoony,(it's the reason I passed on Gotham by Gaslight Batman) where a lot of the rest of them look more like real people; especially the Alex Ross Justice League series. I don't know if it's true for the Public Enemies line, but the Batman/Superman line w/ the return of Supergirl do have the cartoony look. That and the Public Enemies line look simular. I wonder if that might make them display better. The only problem with the Future Superman is that it looks too angry.

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:

No digital camera at the moment, if I did, I would provide you with a few, both in pairs and group shots.

It would be great if you want your future Superman to look into President Supes pecs. There's a huge height difference between the Public Enemies line and the Elseworld and AR lines; Captain Marvel from the Public Enemies line looks into Justice Captain Marvels lightning bolt, the scale of the lines are quite a bit off from each other.

That is one of the problems with all these artist specific lines (and scales), and DCD at large. There's a very incohesive design factor. AR Supes looks like he may blink, Public Enemies looks more like the original He-man version of the heroes, while the Elseworlds look like comic characters, and others look like cartoon characters. Add in that some characters are minimally muscled, and others hypermasculine to a nearly absurd degree, and it becomes even harder to find a unifying look.

The bottom line is that you're not going to have a homogenous look no matter what you do, all you can do is pick the best representations to get the look you want, or at least avoid the look you don't.

13. Eradicator

Ok. I guess that may just leave the AR one. Thanks for all your responces.

14. Eradicator

Ooops. Sorry. Double post.