Which comics are worth reading?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by obin_gam, Feb 1, 2009.

1. obin_gam

obin_gam Cenobiteconbot

Hi there!

Thinking of picking up some transformers comics to take my mind off studying for a while, hehe.
    Problem is I dont have any idea at all of which comics actually are worth spending money on. And I really dont wanna gp back several years just to understand whats going on in the comics (so something that could be easy to find in stores).

So, suggestions on transformer comics is most welcomed!

2. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    I'd say go get some trade collections. easy to find (where I am) right now are the -tion stories. ie infiltra-tion, escala-tion, that stuff. or for single issue goodness look for the spotlight collections. IMO trade paperbacks pack a lot more bang for your buck, usually providing a whole story arc for roughly half the price of searching out individual issues. You can usually find them at any book store.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    THe whole dreamwave run and Transformers Animated: The Arrival are really good reading material.

4. MetaRidleyX

MetaRidleyX I Lied!

If you feel like waiting get The War Within particularly the first two series. I would also recommend Animated: The arrival.

5. obin_gam

obin_gam Cenobiteconbot

thanks all!

I think I'm gonna pick up the Infiltration trade and see how I like it and then go from there.

6. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is a good one. It will make you want to pick up the others in the series.

7. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I'll always have a fondness for the Marvel G1 series. IDW offers reprint TPB volumes of the classic series, as well as "best of" collections of the Marvel UK series:

IDW Publishing

I've enjoyed IDW's Spotlight series too, which I think you can also get TPBs of now.

And I liked what I've read so far of the War Within series. I started going through them late and only have about half of them so far.

8. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Megatron Origins is excellent, so is Stormbringer. All of the above are good suggestions too.

9. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Avoid Dreamwave stuff. It's lame.

"Infiltration" is a good place to start for the modern stuff, but I'd personally recommend Marvel material from the 1980s (available in various trade paperback collections)

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm with Voiceroy. The Classic Transformers TPB volumes from IDW are great and are a great value. There are over 300 pages in each one and it adds up to something like 15 or so issues. The only problem is some of the issues could not be reprinted because they had Marvel characters in the story (like Spider-man) so they substituted the comic with a very detailed synopsis.

11. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    All Hail Megatron

12. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah this rocks, well worth a read