Which Classics should I get?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by DELTAsnake, Mar 5, 2008.

1. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    I missed the classics line first tme round so I'm going to get some of Takara Classics. But I'm only going to get 3 of them as I'm saving for Animated, Prime and two deluxe. Which 2 of the deluxe Classics are the best to get?

2. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Any of the following is a good buy:

Starscream
    Bumblebee
    Hot Rod
    Astrotrain

Grimlock could be better imo... that's why I am looking forward to the Animated version.

3. karamazov80

karamazov80 Million Dollar Champion

I don't like Classics Grimlock, either. I bought him and hated him, so I gave him away (and I really like Grimlock).

However, Classics Starscream is fantastic. That is actually the figure that renewed my interest in Transformers. The Bumblebee is also very excellent when he is in bot form, and though I never cared for the original Classics Astrotrain, but I will probably pick up the repainted Takara version.

4. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Will these classics be sold at Walmart or Target?

5. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

No, you missed out on that, but your just in time for clasics 2.0 :) 

If you plan to get any of the classics figs, then I suggest Starscream, Ramjet, and Mirage. You really can't go wrong with any of them though IMHO.

6. MegaCepticon

MegaCepticon Well-Known Member

All of them!!! Unfortunately you'll have to pay a little bit more if you missed out on the first series. but 2.0 is coming out woohoo

7. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I would say Starscream, Bumblebee, and Mirage. They are all fantastic modernized representations of the characters, with fun tranformations and great posability (particularly the latter two).

If you can spring for one more, go for Hot Rod/Rodimus. It is the best representation of the character ever (he even has a fold-out buzzsaw in his wrist, right out of the '86 movie).

Grimlock and Astrotrain are probably the weakest of the bunch just from a mold standpoint.... though I still like Astrotrain quite a bit. And Takara's grey take on it is undeniably slick.

8. lookinglasself

lookinglasself 1.21 Jigowatts

100% agreed. If you can spring for a Voyager, definitely get Jetfire or Prime. Jetfire is hands down the best figure in the whole line.

9. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Two Words:

Mirage and Jetfire.

Apart from them I would recommend Hotrod and Ramjet (better than Screamer and Skywarop...). The rest are... meh.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Get Bumblebee and Bumblebee. :) 

11. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    get them all, there wasnt a classics figure i didnt want ( I dont count the horrendous megs and optimus 2 pack )

12. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    Obviously alot of you like Jetfire, but Jetfire isn't in the Takara Classics line. As I said in my first post I'm getting 3 from the Takara Classics, Prime and two deluxe and I'm not shaw what two deluxe to get. If Tak releases Jetfire in wave 2 when Astrotrain comes out I'll pick him up for shaw.

13. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    From the Takara deluxes I'd definately go for Starscream and Astrotrain.
    As for the other deluxes, I've only had Hasbro's Hot Rod and Bumblebee but sold them off fairly quickly.

In my opinion the ONE must have of the line is Jetfire. One of the best bots in recent years if you ask me!

14. alex_kingdom

alex_kingdom Well-Known Member

Jetfire is a fantastic figure, more so becuase he's an accurate representation of Don Fig's awesome Stormbringer design. Jetfire aside I have Rodimus and Bumblebee, who are both pretty cool (although BBs jetski is a waist of space). I do really want Mirage now as I prefer his US deco to the Takara version.

First time round Classic didnt really excite me much, mostly cos I was falling out with Transformers at the time, plus some of the characters were too different from G1 (Megatron) and some had less than perfect decos (Starscream, Prime), however Takara have fixed a lot of these problems with their superior decos, so much so I've order myself Prime, Megatron and Grimlock.

Yours AK

15. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bumblebee and Mirage I would say.

16. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    I agree with the posters that suggested Bumblebee and Mirage. They compliment Prime nice enough.

Here's a rundown of most of the moulds I own, if it'll make it easier for you:

Prime: Excellent figure, absolutely nothing wrong with it. Nary a ball joint to be found.

Bumblebee: Pretty good, although looks a bit super-deformed when compared to the superior 08 movie version. For this one I actually prefer the Hasbro version with the white stripes. Decent articulation all over.

Mirage: Excellent, most articulation out of all classics so far. Deco is nice on both Takara and Hasbro version.

Megatron: Overlooked, but probably my favourite mould of Megatron in the past years. Articulation is beyond basic [a few more joints here and there] but works like a charm.

Starscream\Ramjet: Eh, probably the weakest mould. Nice jet mode, but the robot mode has very basic articulation. Ball joints on shoulders and hips, a swivel joint for knees and elbows and that's it. Head turns as well. Japanese deco of starscream is far superior, to be honest.

I don't own any of the others but I'd suggest avoiding Grimlock. The animated version appears to be a much better figure.

17. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Like others have said, Mirage BB and Hotrod. Though you can probably still find Hot Rod on some online store for cheaper than the Tak/Tommy version.

18. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

It would be a bit of a waste to import Mirage because, as incredible as you might find the mold to be, there really isn't a lot of incentive to pick up the Henkei version over the Classics figure. It's still not going to be impossible to get a Classics Mirage, not very expensive, and the difference in paint apps isn't worth it that much.

Astrotrain is remarkably different and ought to be highly sought after, so don't pass him up if you're remotely interested. Just think of all the suffering the eHobby figure caused.

Starscream is a great choice, not only because of the new colors but also for being more reasonably priced than trying to get the Classics version MISB on the secondary market.

On the Autobot side, Bumblebee is the best parallel to Starscream in terms of the mold being great, the colors not being terribly different, but the Classics version going for more money than it should as well.

I'm still deliberating on Grimlock and Hot Rod myself.

19. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

I own all of the standard release Hasbro ones. I honestly like them all. Yes, even Grimlock. I guess just pick whatever character has held the most magic for you over the years. Me personally, I detest the design work on Animated, so I wouldn't have any trouble deciding...

20. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Starscream and Mirage. Both are great in playability and are very pose-able.