Which Classics/2.0 molds do you consider a let down?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by juise, Jun 12, 2010.

1. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    dinobot, cheetor, and hotshot, and the prowl molds doors bug me a bit

2. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Really, I don't think problem with Galvatron's size, is him being a leader. Hell I still have him leading his own faction of Decepticons on my CHUG shelf. It's the fact that his size hinders him alot due to his design. If there was room to allow for a few more panels and joints, his figure would be fantastic. I absolutely love the design, but it was too ambitious for it's size.

3. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    See that to me is a far more valid reason for not
    taking to the figure that saying some thing likenrs
    galvatron and thus should always be big

4. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I took major issue with Grimlock at first too, but evetnually I figured out WHAT version of Grimlock the toy is ACTUALLY homaging, and now I think it's kind of brilliant (Have to pick him up now...)

He’s V.2 Grimlock.
    [​IMG]
    Tiny: check. Red-hued, spherical, chest ornament: check. Upper-Dino-body becomes legs: check.

My complete analysis can be found on the kidbash-blog, but I think the evidence speaks for itself once you see it.

kidbash - Blog - Design Cues MK 2: Me am haveEaster-egg!

Attached Files:

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Galvatron for sure is a major disappointment.

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Galvatron is the only (G1 based) Universe figure I didn't buy. I even bought several of the unnecessary Cybertron recolors (even banana-tank shelfwarmer!), but I couldn't bring myself to buy him. (I didn't buy Hot Shot or the BW guys either cos I'm not interested in their homages, but I am getting Hot Shot as Dion and I'm excited about it)

Other than that... Jetfire's articulation bugs the crap out of me. How can a figure that looks that cool not DO anything? Maybe that's his 3rd homage; Armada Jetfire :lol 

The Sunstreaker mold. While it's not a bad mold, it's one that kinda irritates me. The roof-piece is misaligned in bot mode, which makes him look wonky. Putting the shoulders on his wheels makes posing his arms tricky. On my Sideswipe, there's even more issues. His elbows can't hold up the weight of any gun heavier than his default one; which sucks cos I use his gun in his shoulder, and gave him Classics 2-pack Prime's gun... and he can't pose holding it up. Also, the door panels on his forearms are loose; I try to leave them on the sides of his arms, they wanna slip under the arms. And then, the knee articulation doesn't have that wide a range of motion.

You might think "why get irritated over the Lambos, isn't Ironhide worse?" Well, when you look at Ironhide, it doesn't get your hopes up very high. You can see how lame the vehicle mode is, you can see how much kibble the bot mode has. So, you either like it or you don't. But with the Lambos, you see them, they look cool, but then they're a pain to actually play with. Therein lies the let down.

Grimlock could've been bigger, but I don't mind the fact that he's a new design. I like it for what it is. Tankor is kind of a gangly weirdo, but he's got some appeal.

7. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Galvatron is a disapointment along with the Ironhide/Ratchet mold ,especially the vehicle mold. Hopefully we can get a Galvatron with less kibble and tighter joints.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    In spite of their faults I still love these guys but I have to say Grimlock, Ironhide/ Ratchet, Powerglide and Galvatron, Cheetor and Dinobot are all on my "well shit...these could have been really cool" list.

9. JacobPGalvatron

JacobPGalvatron Storm Trooper #1

Grimlock because the dino body legs feels like a copout to me.

Also, Dinobot because of his hindered legs.
    Though, if you remove those panels, like I did, he can't really transform anymore, but he's got articulation like a motherf*cker.

10. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ironhide is far and away the most disappointing figure I have ever owned (though I have only been collecting for a few years, so take that with a grain of salt).

First of all, his panels are ridiculous. I hate how the windows, in particular, are divided up in the transformation process. It really looks silly to have little, random bits of windows on the back of his shoulders and arms. On top of this, his alt mode looks like a jigsaw puzzle.

Second, I dislike a few things about his legs/feet. He has a huge gap in between his upper leg and foot, plus I dislike the random bits of weirdly shaped kibble hanging off his heel. Even folded up, it just looks off.

Third, I'm not particulary fond of the usual flaws people bring up about him. The head that looks down, the allspark blue face, and the different colored windows. He just looks off next to other deluxe Universe/Classics bots like Hound and Sunstreaker/Sideswipe.

That being said, I don't outright hate the figure. I do like how to wheels and hood form the backpack, and his gun is pretty nifty. Heck, I can even buy the screws on his shoulders being exposed, if only for the fact that he is Ironhide and it makes him look tough.

11. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

This, if Galvatron would have been nice if he was a Voyager/ultra.
    Cheetor= suck,
    Hotshot, they tryed way to hard and made him worse.
    and I wish Iornhide/Ratchet, had a better head thing going they could of made irt a ball-and-socket neck, would have been way better.

12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm going to say Powerglide.

As a deluxe size figure he would have been great but his size makes him a bit clunky to mess with and he just looks so out of place when you put him beside the other Classics/Universe figures.

13. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    To this day it remains Deluxe Prime, for the awful alt mode and undersized 'bot mode.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Disappointments? lessee...

Grimlock - I mostly don't like that the arms/dino legs don't lock into place, and the "entire tail comes off to be a hand-held - thing." (Pretender homage, whatever) reminds me too much of some of the less imaginative Beast Wars transforms. I gave his awesome head sculpt to Energon Grimlock and never looked back.

Prowl (and to a lesser extent Silversreak and Smokescreen) - I don't like how the sides fold to wings in a "the worst of RID" way, the head-on-a-platform look, and that the 'sticky paint' QC issues hit this toy like a ton of sticky bricks.

Galvatron - I'll just go with the masses and say this probably could have been a much better and sturdier toy if it was upped a size class or two.

Powerglide - Just annoys me in terms of looks, size, gimmicks, and colors, and makes me wish the Jizaitoys Powergilde was turned into a real kid-grade toy.

Cheetor - If only they hadn't designed it around that lame bitey-bitey gimmick.

Hot Shot - Not so much the annoying kibble issues of the main toy, but the fact that his Minicon Jolt can't frekin' stand up without looking at his own feet!

15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Do people dislike Powerglide for the chacter choice, or do they dislike the mold itself? I think the mold looks great in Storm Cloud's colors.

16. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

Galvatron only, I don't hate him, but the original is damn awesome.

17. Autobot X

Autobot X Check out my sales thread!

I can dig on the Ironhide/Ratchet hate, as well as Hot Shot. I like all of them once they're transformed and standing, but it's the transformation that kills it for me. I don't understand why ever since the first movie came out, so many of the transformations are just so damned...fiddly. Of course, I understand this is a personal preference thing, but I love figures with simple transformations. Cybertron Hot Shot is great (as is most of that line) because of its simplicity. If I wanted a brain-teaser puzzle, I'd buy a friggin' Rubik's cube.

18. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Out of all honestly, I adore the Powerglide mold. I own all three decos. It's actually one of my favorites out of all the CHUGs. I mean, scale wise he technically works with him being a plane. And as far as character goes, what's not to love. :D 

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

For the type of plane the figure is he just seems a bit big. A C-130 Hercules, C-17 Globemaster III, or a C-5 Galaxy would look great with that size of a mold. An A-10 Thunderbolt II just seems like it would fit better as a deluxe figure.

20. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Other than Grimlock & Galvatron who both should have been bigger I hsve no problems. Oh and a smaller Powerglide wouldn't have been to bad.