Which Classics/2.0 molds do you consider a let down?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by juise, Jun 12, 2010.

1. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was just looking at my classics shelves and was curious which figures disappointed you? I'm only talking about new/original molds for the Classics/2.0 line, not Energron/Armada/whatever repaints.

For me its the following

1) Grimlock: This figure fails so much I dint even display him, I use Titanium Grimlock (which I also hate) instead. A deluxe Grimlock? Fail! All they needed to do was tweak the Animated Design some and they could of had a winner.

2) Jetfire: They really tried to capture his on screen presence but its just not there. While he feels better then redone Veritech. The other awesome figures in the line show they could have done much better

3) Megatron: Gun alt mode? Check! Huge arm cannon? Check! Crazy Gundam shellformer? CHECK! I'm a purist who accepts reality and in this day and age gun toys are a no, no. Somehow Hasbro managed to outsmart the crazy right wing toy Nazi grandmothers and wisely made Megatron into a Nerf gun. He even has his arm cannon (sorry but any Megatron without it isn't Megatron)! Again Animated got it right. I love the idea of a Helicopter Megatron it actually works better then a gun but gives all the necessary aesthetics in robot mode so that even a 5 year old knows thats Megatron! Sometimes making Key components key can ruin a figure I guess.

4) Powerglide: Everything they did here made sense except for the whole color thing that they finally fixed later. Sadly, it just didn't work for me. Hes just too big. Power glide was the autobots little engine that could. You take that away when he's towering over every single Autobot sans Silverbolt!

5) Galvatron: I really wanted to like this figure. Even now when I look at it my heart wont let me see it for the crap that it really is. 0 articulation in a line that has figures that can do one handed handstands! I'm pretty sure hes the shortest deluxe in the line too! Then to release the worlds best tank transformer (Classics Bludgeon [Fuck what the box says]) A year later was just a slap in the face!

Honorable mentions:
    Warpath: Now he could've gotten a size upgrade

Tankor: All in all its not bad considering its a triple changer, but would suck if it wasn't

Cosmos: Come on you already have a prefect prototype just sitting in a case at Hasbro!

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Galvatron no question. I was hoping we would FINALLY get an awesome version of him but I was dead wrong.

3. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Galvatron is really the only mold that I can say that truly sux. I've opted Fansproject to do an upgrade, cause they have an email that you can send to give your ideas to and I have sent one and maybe they will do a new Galvatron add on at some point, cause that would be a cool undertaking after they do the Protector upgrade. Plus, I know many fans want a Voyager class Galvatron. Fansproject seems to cater to the fans. I'm sure if fans requested this enough, they'do it.

4. War Bearer

War Bearer Banned

Cheetor and Hotshot for me

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    This damn it!! *glares at the figure*

6. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Cheetor = Very, Very poor execution

HotShot = Ditto

Galvatron = Due to his size, same as above. If he was bigger, there more than likely would have been room for improvement on the same design.

7. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Prowl:such a wasted potential, he is NO FUN to transform and the way the arms/door kibble was design make him unfun

Galvatron:it would have been amazing if bigger

that is aobut it

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I wasn't expecting anything from Cheetor, so I can't even note the toy. For the Cheetor fans out there, I hope you liked it.

For me, it is Armada Hot Shot hands down. Even moreso is Jolt. I was really excited to see an "updated" version of an Armada character because it was mainly the playschoolish feel of the toys that turned me off of most of Armada toys. I really thought that a "Universe" Hot Shot would fix all of that. To a degree it did, but the toy is just a disappointment and let down of the awesomeness I expected. It's a mediocre toy at its best, and I really thought others were exaggerating on Jolt (fans with online access tend to do that at times). I still feel the Armada Jolt is vastly superior in most aspects than the Armada counterpart, to the point that I used an extra for my "Binal Tech" Hot Shot instead of the planned Universe version.

The only other for me, and this is only slightly, is the Vector Prime reissue. I've always loved this character, and even his toy. The Cybertron version left out many of the paint apps that the GF counterpart has, and for some strange reason, I was hoping that the newer one was going to have a few more, especially after the lackluster repaint during Cybertron. That being said, though, I have paint and I can do what I want when I want, but I was a tiny bit let down.

Oddly enough, I think I'm in the minority that doesn't hate on Galvatron, especially since I think that we may not have gotten the toy at all given the backpedaling on the original intended size. Mine is fine, but it's certainly not my favorite toy from the line.

9. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hot Shot - Better than the Armada figure but still a let down. The back was all kinds of "hey let me see what the guys are saying on the boards on how to fix this guy" then "wait this guy still leaves me disappoint...". Plus the visor on mine cracked. Not cool. Give me something with unhindered articulation, GUNS, and plastic that doesn't look cheap.

Galvatron - Once the inital concept art was made public for the ultra triple changer the deluxe one just looked worse than it already was. The deluxe seemed like too much going on for such small size. Ultimately it was disappointing, I thought I would like it but ended up disappoint.

Powerglide - Big plane. Check. Full articulation. Check. Bad proportions on both modes. Check. I was disappoint. Check.

Cheetor - Ninja stars were cool additions, the hindered arm articulation and elongated proportions were not.

Dinobot - Ultimately decent and much better than Cheetor. However, the leg articulation was hindered once transformed correctly and the missle sword wasn't cool because it was shaped like a missle.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  10. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

Galvatron was too flimsy. Great design, poor execution - needed to be bigger.

Tankor - I kinda like him, but that shield thing just looks out of place in plane mode, and is probably a bit too big in general.

I'm almost inclined to include Inferno, too. I think it's the lack of waist articulation that bothers me, but I'm not actually sure. Once the initial buzz of getting him wore off, I was left with a distinct sense of "meh", but I don't really know why.

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Inferno for me. Not so much that it's a bad toy, but simply that I'm not fond of its design in the first place.

G1 Inferno had one of the best proportioned and dynamically shaped bodies of all of the Autobot cars. The Universe one, in contrast, is really stumpy and blocky looking, and doesn't really capture the look of the character at all.

Cheetor was a mess of a design, and I'm not really too fond of Dinobot either. He's one of the few toys that I can actually say that the plastic "feels cheap" on. I'm never one to throw that phrase around, but Dinobot just has this odd, slightly rubbery feel to him, and things don't seem to peg together as solidly as they should as a result. Looks decent in both modes, but it just feels off.

I personally really like Galvatron.

12. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I only own 6 Universe figures (2 sets of repaints, however), but from what I've seen, Glavatron seems pretty bad, along with Cheetor and Hot Shot.

13. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I own at least one of every mold, and I have to agree with others that Galvatron is a hidous mess of a figure. He was the first Universe 2.0 toy I bought and so nearly the last due to his shocking shitness. It was only because I was bought Henkei Bumblebee, Prowl and Sunstreaker as presents a few months later that I realised how awesome the line actually is.

I feel slight disappointment at the molds for Ironhide and Ratchet - crazy paving vehicle modes and the downward looking head in robot mode are the biggest flaws with these figures. They didn't need to make the transofmration so damn complicated. They look ok, but are amongst the weaker of the molds out there.

Can't believe people are knocking Powerglide! He is one of my favourite TFs in my whole collection!

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Your thoughts on Galvi make me smile :) 

I agree with you on Cheetor, and the only reason I didn't say anything about either him or Dinobot is that I didn't get any high hopes for either, let alone any preconceived expectations (like I had for Hot Shot).

That being said, Dinobot really surprised me. He's actually one of the few "Beast Wars" toys/characters I own now. While I do echo much of your own sentiments, I actually was going to pass entirely on it not being a fan of BW toys. The main disappointment I have with it is the poorly designed arm transformation. On this level, I did expect more, especially given today's toy engineering standards. I'd even look past the rubbery plastic that you spoke of had the arm transform been better. As is, though, they just fold up under the chest, completely visible in alt mode. Design fail.

15. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Megatron: gun former = fail give us a tank or helicopter or something but guns are just crap alts

Grimlock: Just to damn small.

Galvatron: to damn small and falls appart... mainly cos he's to damn small for his own transformation.

Cheetor: Just ugly.

Everything in the Ultra class, they are to big for the TF they are ment to be, Onslught is the only one that transformers well but he still looks to big and brutish.

DLX Prime and Megatron gimicks get in the way of good toys damn it hasbro learn that!

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Galvatron, Hotshot and Ironhide/Ratchet. I don't hate the figures but i was terribly dissapointed.

17. prowl26

prowl26 Well-Known Member

Galvatron leaves you wanting what was allegedly a Voyager class mold and Tankor is barely passable. I would have loved the deluxe Megatron as an update to G2 if the right arm had only been an arm.

18. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    It seems like most of the people in here need to divorce the character from the toy. For my money something like "Universe Galvatron is a floppy mess" - valid criticism. Something like "Powerglide was too large/wasn't red" or "Galvatron should have been larger" isn't valid as scale has never existed in Transformers lines, so imposing it in retrospect here is a bit dumb. Saying something like Galvatron needed to be larger because he's a leader is again a criticism on the way that Hasbro assigns toys to size classes as opposed to the figure itself.

In that sense I was most let down by Cheetor probably. If I'm being honest after being initially psyched for it I was a bit let down by the Sunstreaker mold - the arms are a bit scrawny and it suffered I feel from being reversible (for Sideswipe). In hindsight as cool as the concept was I'd have preferred a mold each with similar alt modes.

I didn't find Hot Shot as disappointing as many on here but then I've only get the Henkei version which I'm led to understand is different in several ways to the western release. I also quite liked Galvatron - the alt mode and transformation were what sold it to me, as much as the robot mode had flaws (by the bucket load). Like, it has things that just infuriate me on TFs, like back kibble blocking arm articulation, pieces just popping off, but I can't bring myself to dislike it.

Also, @ the OP, Bludgeon was a movie verse toy, fuck what anyone else says.

19. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Beast deluxes.

20. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Grimlock - The main problem with this figure is that the shoulders don't peg in correctly in robot mode. Also would have been nice if they could have figured out something better to do with his tail than just having it pop off and be an odd-looking whip...thing.

- Galvatron - I actually like how the figure looks and it makes a neat display piece. However, there are a number of parts that don't attach securely and come off during transformation (ie - the entire turret), that it's a nuisance to play with.

- Cheetor - Just a general disaster. Floppy, pieces that don't peg in securely, weird proportions, design sacrificed for a lame gimmick (eyes change colour, OMG!!11!!1).

- Hot Shot - His life is indeed pain. Pieces that come off during transformation, hindered articulation in robot mode, loose joints, etc. It's sad that I actually like the Armada Hot Shot figure better than this update.

- Dinobot - I like the figure, for the most part, but they needed to do something different with the weapons; the short 'missile-sword' just looks odd. I would have left out the missile-launching gimmick entirely and redesigned the tail a little to give a longer sword.