Which came first, the comic or the cartoon?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by johnboy3434, Oct 13, 2009.

1. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

Yes, I know the first Marvel comic was published months before the first episode of the G1 cartoon aired, but which went into production first? I would imagine it takes longer to produce an episode of a cartoon than it does to draw a comic.

I did my Marvel readthrough over on the comics forum on the assumption that it was the original fictional representation of the TFs, but I didn't give any thought to the extended lead-time needed for the cartoon.

Or do we even know which came first? Have there been any retrospectives or documentaries about the franchise that have said one way or the other?

2. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    the toy :p 

3. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    Presumeably the comic was in production first.

4. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Comics boy.

5. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

It is given fact that the comic was in production before the cartoon was. In fact, the entire original toyline: all of the official names and bios were created by Marvel Comics.

Marvel Comics was there from the very beginning, helping Hasbro craft the backstory of the Transformers. The cartoon studio Sunbrow didn't come in until later on.

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Comics.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The comics.

I was very disappointed that the cartoon did not end up being a straight-up adaptation of the comics.

8. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

The chicken. :p 

9. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
  10. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

...Which says they started "around the same time", not giving a definite answer. Did you seriously think I wouldn't check Wikipedia first?

Really? I didn't think Marvel was that involved in the creation of the backstory. I thought they just put out the final product.

11. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

The comics, which was basically use to promote the toys and give them some background stories like the cartoon.

12. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nope. You don't remember that little Marvel Productions credit in the original cartoon? (Actually, that's not fair to ask since I don't know how much of the cartoons that you've seen up until now.)

The writers for the cartoon had divergent elements for the show in the beginning so that they could have their own themes, but it was the same original backstory.

Also, the writer of the comics from issue 5 to 55 (he was the editor in charge of the title before the 5th issue), Bob Budiansky, is responsible for almost all of the the first year's TFs names, but is responsible for creating all of the first year character's bios/personalities/tech specs. He went on to create the names and bios/personalities/tech specs for all of the rest of the TFs until he got burnt out and left during 1989 (with the likely exception of the characters introduced in the '86 movie, considering what their bios are like).

So, yeah, planning was done on the comics side first.

13. Anthony _aggro

Anthony _aggro Platypus prime

Ebay:
    Yes, I second this. There used to be a pretty cool interview with Bob somewhere online. There are actually several now. he was brought in on writing during the fifth issue, but he made the bios and backgrounds for all of the main characters except some of the names; Autobots, Decepticons and Optimus Prime were already there from another marketing company, but he is responsible for Megatron (Which he states in an interview was almost rejected) and the rest. He and Jim shooter actually sent their scripts to Sunbow for the cartoons, although they ended up being two very different story lines. I wish they made a Cartoon from the comics stories, but then again, Prime was sometimes portrayed as a wuss in the comics.

14. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Okay, here's a (hopefully) more conclusive answer:

In 1983, Hasbro representatives (one or two guys) attended the Tokyo Toy Show to look out for new trends from Japan and discovered Takara's Diaclone and MicroChange toys. Back in the USA, they showed around the concept at Hasbro. A toymaker named Henry Orenstein, who was working for Hasbro at that time, convinced Hasbro's marketing vice president Bob Prupis to release the toys on the US market.

Hasbro R&D senior vice president George Dunsay then turned to Griffin Bacal, the advertising agency that had previously helped Hasbro retool their G.I. Joe brand into its 1980s incarnation, "G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero". Griffin Bacal had the idea to make the robots themselves the stars of the line, created factions, named the good guys "Autobots" and the bad guys "Decepticons", created logos for them and named the entire line "The Transformers".

Then they handed over the concept to Marvel Comics, who had also worked on "A Real American Hero". Marvel's editor in chief at that time, Jim Shooter, came up with a basic concept for the backstory, then passed it on to his editor Dennis O'Neil, who would further flesh it out, develop some characters and give them names, such as "Optimus Prime". Then O'Neil lost interest, and editor Bob Budiansky was asked to take over from him. Budiansky gave all the remaining characters names (such as "Megatron"), renamed a few ("Spinout" became Sunstreaker, "Blow-Out" became Cliffjumper) and wrote character writeups for all of them, which would then be used for the toys' packaging.

The Marvel comic (the first four issues were written by Jim Salicrup) was based on Budiansky's fleshed out concept. The cartoon, produced by Marvel's subsidiary Marvel Productions and Griffin Bacal's own Sunbow Productions, also used Marvel's concept as basis, but often deviated from it.

15. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Tell me more about this "Sunbrow" ... are they at all related to "Sunbow" ?

16. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Debesh love Nevermore's Hasbro stories. Tell Debesh about petrorabbits again.

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, the egg, stupid :throw .

18. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    My head hurts from reading the responses posted above, but there is about a 20 minute overview on how tf's started in the States on the Bonus Disc from Shout Factory's G1 Season 1 DVD Package. I remember Bits and peices from it but not enough to post an educated response.

19. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Me too, that would have been so much better.

'Then I ate his leg'

20. sherpole

sherpole Undiscover Talent

Ebay:
    Dammit.
    I already gonna prepare to say this
    before I open this thread :bowdown: 

And it's a 1st response!!