Customs: Which Aves Sculpt should I buy?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by reluttr, Jul 28, 2009.

1. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know there is apoxy sculpt and fixit sculpt, but I have no idea which one is the better bang for my buck.

Since you guys do alot of customs, I am here to ask. Which one do you think is better for the price? I mainly needs it just to fill some holes and secure a ball joint. So which one should I get "I'm defiantly a beginner XD"?

Also does anyone know what their standard shipping rate is for inside the us?

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I'm not sure about Aves (I've heard it's great, but I've never used it myself). If you're a beginner and just looking to fill holes and help secure a ball joint as you said, you could try Mighty Putty. That stuff works great and you can snag some at Target (or possibly even Wal-Mart). I personally use ProCreate (professional sculptors putty for miniatures)--picked that up at my local comic/hobby shop when I was still living in Florida. Once this is gone, I'll use Mighty Putty, since I've heard it works great for customs and since it's quick and easy to find.

Hopefully someone can help you out with Aves though. Good luck, man!

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Mighty putty really is pretty good for what it is! I use Aves Apoxie sculpt and have had very good results with it. I will look into the Pro Create stuff, sounds robust. And Hey, hXcpunk23! I live in FL and my family has a cabin in Elijay! Wierd!:thumbs2: 

4. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Awesome stuff, bro! I was born in FL and grew up in and around Destin, Panama City Beach, Niceville, and Fort Walton Beach. I still hit the beaches from time to time, but I'm here in Dahlonega, GA for a while. I've seen the Eliday signs and my fiancee has been there, but I don't think I have.

As for the ProCreate stuff, it was $10 at my local comic/hobby shop in FWB in FL and it works great. Not sure where else you can buy it though. Here's a link to it:

ProCreate - Kraftmark

I just noticed you can order directly from them. You get a small plastic box with the two putties to mix in various parts (it even includes a small sheet inside to give you some pointers on how to mix is if you want to achieve certain things).

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I'm not a fan of mitty putty; tried it and had not such great results, it was weak and dried too damn quick for my taste. I stick with Aves. They sell small packs of their clays.

6. big hank

News Credits:

Thanks for that link! I do think I'll give it a go! My nephew goes to college in Dahlonega, don't remember the name, the one that's all brick (prolly the only college there I think) I also have a house in St. Augustine, FL but I'm down in Fort Lauderdale.

7. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    North Georgia College & State University is the one you're thinking of (and yes, I think it's the only one in the vicinity). Check out the gallery on that link--there have been some very cool things sculpted and sent in to display in their gallery. I haven't sculpted anything with fine detail or anything yet--I've mostly used it to build up and fill-in areas and parts.

A few months ago over at S70 you mentioned you liked it and that it worked on some areas you would use Aves on and it hardened in minutes--you seemed happy with it then. Just wondering what changed your mind, man. As for this OP, I think Mighty Putty could work for him since he's only looking to fill some holes and attach a ball joint. He wouldn't need much for that. I do really want to check out Aves at some point though--I'm always down to learn more about the 'bashing materials of others.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yeah. it was good for some stuff, but where I needed detail and strength, it wasn't working for me. fine edges and thinner areas seemed to crumble apart after a few days.

It does serve it's purpose though, for small stuff or hidden fills, it's great, for time deadlines, it's also great (like if you're painting and see something you want patched quick, like a screw hole)

but for the strength needed, I trust in Aves. Aves seems smoother and more controlable.

9. big hank

News Credits:

I have found on occasion Aves "clogs" up my files. I believe I have chalked it up to a non optimum mix ratio, which would be my fault. And my files are micro teeth size hobby files, so that may play a part.

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    you can clean them right up with plain water or their cleaning solution, either one.

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Okay, so they sell Mighty Putty at Target?

12. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    yUPZ. I'm really loving Apoxie Sculpt for their strength. The only minor drawback is the speed at which it cures. I leave it in the hot sun to speed up the process. Not sure if it helps but seems so. But apart from that, it's perfect. I would probably go for fixit sculpt the next time I order. I would love to try it as well. The adhesiveness is supposed to be better that apoxie sculpt.

13. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just looked at the procreate stuff, if it turns out mighty putty costs more then I might look into procreate because it looks as good as aves and they even have a nice online store system :p 

Although for what im wanting I think MP will work fine, since im just securing a ball joint and socket in place. BTW you can buy mighty putty in walmart to my knowledge "will confirm later when I get back from town" meaning no shipping and handling charge :p