Customs: Which are better for painting tf's

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Drift, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Drift

Drift Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm looking to paint legends onslaught into countdown, which are better, acrylics or enamels. Also, any other tips.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For that particular figure, Enamels should work alright.

However, Acrylics are much easier to work with, not requiring toxic thinners to thin the paint or clean your tools, and drying to the touch much quicker (you should still wait at least overnight for them to cure, though).

Note that on soft plastic parts, enamels will never dry. They'll forever remain messy and tacky.

3. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Both will work, but it comes down to preference. Sounds like you're just getting started, so I highly recommend trying both on a junker and seeing what you like. Or stop in a hobby shop and ask the owner for some advice. They love that shit.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is very good advice. :thumb 

Also, while each artist here may have their preferences, this (or any other thread) isn't one to be adamant and argumentative about which is better. God knows we've had enough of that already.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Enamels SUCK!!!1!five

Just kidding.

I use acrylics simply because Tamiya sprays and bottles are easily available in my area, and I've become somewhat comfortable using them.

As was said before, it's all just a preference call. Because of certain conditions in your area (availability, cost, weather, etc.), one may just work better than the other for you.

6. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ive used both, and kinda prefer acrylics cuz i dont inhale tons of fumes, plus they thin with water [easily available in most areas] and with the right technique you dont get brush strokes