Which alternate G1 universe do you like?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by RedWolf, Feb 6, 2008.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Well-Known Member

Which alternate G1 universe do you like?

G2- There are a few scattered fiction of this. The Marvel G2 didn't much focus on the toyline. The Japanese continuity of this starts with the reignition of the war because of human killing a Decepticon during peacetime.
    Marvel UK had an alternate take Megatron attacking Bludgeon featuring the toy characters.

War Within (Titanium)- I liked the whole before the war got to Earth theme.
    Certainly interesting designs by Don.

Classics- Well this certainly if G2 never happened. Placed in the original Marvel universe of TF.

Binaltech/Alternators- I liked the serial story telling with tech specs.
    A abbriviated war.
    Certainly a geek fanwank. Also I'd like to pretend MP's are among them.

2. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IDW-verse.

3. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Didn't read the comics relating to it, but I think I'd like the G1 Classics universe. It helps that TFCC intends to continue that story, at least this year with Nightbeat.

But I also do enjoy the IDW comics tremendously. Rocky start, but it's definitely hit its stride by now.

4. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

G1 Classics for me.

5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really enjoy the G2 Japanese continuity. I love the part of the Manga that comes with Battle Convoy after he's been blown apart by Megatron and than the Matrix reconfigures him into his new form (no surprise that my favorite Prime's only real appearance in fiction is one of my favorite alternities).

The Marvel G2 was cool, but I felt that the biggest problem with that one was that you had to have a crap load of previous Marvel G1 comic knowledge to really understand what was going on... so that kind of took away from the series (even though I'd been following the Marvel G1 to G2).

I haven't read much of the UK version of G2 so I can't comment on that.

War Within was pretty awesome and I too enjoyed the 'before they get to Earth' take on the war. Unfortunately it'll probably never get finished unless IDW does their own version.

Classics... love the toyline, but not fond of the comics that have been shown so far through the TFCC. Feels to cliche' and focuses too much on the damned combiners than any of the Classic characters... making the Classic characters come of... again, cliche'. Well, except for Cliffy... Cliffy kicked, but he's apparently been 'lost in space' as of the combiner character's arrival in the Transtech world... bleh...

I really didn't like the Binaltech story... started out cool at first (alternate timelines always do), but once Battle Ravage introduced the time travel aspect and the alternate battle with Unicron and all... it just became a convoluted mess!

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Animtaed.

We'll it is...Animated Optimus Prime was watching G1.

Classics and Alts FTW!

7. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Where the deuce do you find Classics comics? I'd LOVE to see these.

Oh, and I think IDW's current series' are the best, hands down. Nice to finally see Prowl in a dominant role...

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Classics comics were running in the last year or so of the Fun Publications TFCC magazine, there's also the one shot published for Botcon last year, another one shot to come out with the TFCC Nightbeat, and Cliffjumper is showing up in the Transtech arc of the TFCC comic.

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

So basically the only way to read these is to get into this club, and THEN hunt down extremely hard to find back issues?

Where do I sign up? Blah...

10. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They do sell the back issues on the website too.

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    The War Within series is my fav.

12. butz

butz slippery when wet

Classics designs, but I don't use the Club fiction for them.

Alternators bugged me because they were only cars. Didn't get into the BT fiction much, so don't really have an opinion on it. Still, I'm prejudiced against it due to them all being cars.

Loved G2, and kinda just insert the Classics (and soon Universe Classics) designs into my own amalgamated version of the Marvel G1, G2 and animated G1 continuities. Eh, it makes me happy.

13. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I love War Within. I've always enjoyed two things about Transformers fiction--miltaristic space opera and no humans. War Within (and Marvel G2) gave both those to me.

14. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

War Within finally told the story I wanted to read.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think Marvel G2 was one of the only ones I unconditionally liked to read.

16. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

I would disagree. Unlike most of you all, I only came into the franchise during the G2 era, and next to the G2 rehash of the original G1 cartoon, the G2 comics were one of my earliest experiences with Transformers fiction. As a kid, I knew that I was missing out quite a bit of backstory as I read the G2 comics, but I definitely had no trouble getting into and understanding them.

That said, I admit the G2 comics is definitely one of the branches of the G1 continuity family that I treasure the most, being, as I said, one of my earliest introductions to the world of Transformers. the G1 cartoon too for similar nostalgic reasons. The current IDW series has also been the most enjoyable take on the Transformers universe in recent times, at least in my opinion.

17. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

The old Marvel G1 comic universe doesn't count? That's my favorite, and classics too.

18. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

Well, since I was forbidden to watch G1 when it was on because it was deemed too violent (still got the toys, though) because I was born in 1983, the only episodes I even remember catching a glimpse of were Starscream's Ghost, and the Return of Optimus Prime, Part 1. I did get to see a few episodes of G2, mainly Dinobot Island Part 1 came to mind, but I wasn't really into Transformers at that point.

So, barring the toys, my first real exposure to G1 came in college when the DVDs came out at the same time the DW comics. So, naturally, I went with DW since it was darker and had more story substance to it. I especially enjoyed DW's take when Adam and James started writing, primarily because they were able to really capture the cartoon personalities of each character to the point I could imagine hearing each respective voice actor reading the lines. If anything, I felt that the DW revision to G1 was simply picking and choosing from the past G1s in an attempt to "perfect" the series while eliminating the old crap that didn't work or was too kiddy-geared. I definitely would have liked to have seen this continued and finished.

That said, there are things I really enjoy about Simon's execution of the IDW-verse, and that is how the respective factions behave more like crack military units and have treaded even closer to a more realistic scenario with having different means of taking over a planet other than brute force and sheer numbers. This really plays up the robots in disguise angle well, and I love the integration of characters from pre-movie to post-movie which seems fluid and natural. Hot Rod has a more interesting dynamic in that he's already a leader in the Autobot cause as opposed to being a 'juvenile mech-in-training' always giving poor Kup a hard time.

19. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, to each his own I guess. That's just the way it came off to me, but that may very well be because I'd been reading the series for so long that it had this huge backstory so whenever I tried to explain to my friends what was going on I'd always interject things like; 'Oh, Bludgeon took over the Decepticons back when all the other leaders were dead', 'But Megatron's alive...', 'Yeah, well, the Decepticons had no idea that he, Starscream and Shockwave were alive and Cobra rebuilt Megatron so...', 'Cobra? I thought we were talking about Transformers?', 'We are, GI Joe had a crossover with them twice in the comics... once in the original and than again to kick off G2', '...what?...'

So, yeah, it was hard to get my friends interested in stuff like that.

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I like the G2 storyline myself. I haven't read a comic in over 10 years though, so I really don't know about all the recent ones.