Which 3rd Party add-ons are/were overpriced and which do you regret not getting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by videriant, Mar 22, 2010.

1. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Which 3rd party upgrades were deals and which add-ons do you look back and think you overpaid on. I'm not talking about add-ons that you have shot up in value but which ones would you buy now if there was an unlimited supply but would NEVER go on sale?

Stuff I would buy again
    Alternators Missiles - $20 ($10 + $10 shipping), shipping was ridiculous but now I wish I had more for my alts. . .
    Cliffjumper Conversion Set - Would have loved the $30 price but I bought mine for around $100. I'd buy it again for that price even if it wasn't limited.
    City Commander - $77 from BBTS plust $13 for upgrade
    TFTM Optimus Prime Sword add-on - $15 from BBTS
    U2 Roadbuster Head + Gun + Cannon ~$30-$35

Stuff I probably overpaid for:
    MP Starscream Crown & Cape - $25
    MP Skywarp Crown & Cape - $25, I REALLY didn't need this
    TFCon Powered Commander - bought it from the boards and it was fairly priced. Just wish I had known about the D.I.A. Commander since I wanted to put it on my Henkei Powered Convoy.

Upgrades I'm eyeing
    Protector - or whatever that Rodimus upgrade is called. I'd be all over this.
    Hardhead's head - If the head cost the same amount as their current snakehead I'd buy it.
    Bruticus - I waited months before I paid $45 for the superion add-on and I still wonder if it was worth it. I mean, it makes Superion Max look nice, but $45 nice? And now the Bruticus set would cost me almost $100. Decisions, decisions.

2. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't think the Bruticus upgrade kits are overpriced. For two brand new figures that are specifically designed to work with an existing toy plus a lot of really nice add-on accessories, it's a good price point.

3. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

over paid for DIA

eyeing up G3 trailer. at some piont anyway.

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Missed-Probably the Shadow Commander Armor. I really could have used that

In general, its the Hasbro figures I missed more than the 3rd party stuff. magnus is one toy I really regret not purchasing.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I paid a little over 2 bills for my City Commander, months before they had announced a reissue. At the time I didn't mind paying that for it, and for its quality I wouldn't exactly mind paying that again. But it's retail price is good as is.

I'm still hesitating on the G3. I want the weapons for sure, but I don't know how I'd fit that trailer in on my display. I'm sure I'll cave and pick it up some time this year.

Only other thing I'm really waiting on is the Protector armor. As much as I love the Henkei! Hot Rodimus figure, he feels naked.

And for bashing reasons, I still need to go for a KO Shadow Commander trailer.

6. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    GOT
    shadow commander
    city commander addon pack [repainted black]
    superion addon
    g3 trailer

will get
    protector
    warbot
    bruticus kits

7. apooh812

apooh812 Well-Known Member

Alternator Missiles. They look so awesome but right now it's selling for a ridicules $25 and $7 Shipping = $32 on EBay. Talk about overpriced and it only take less than $1 to make.

8. Miggytron

Miggytron Slag Sucking Saurian

I had the exact same thoughts. I ended up just using the trailer as a riser. Still don't like how I have it set up though.

Maybe I'll just get a second Optimus to display in alt mode and set up a "Fansproject shelf" on my display.

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The one I regret missing is the Cliffjumper upgrade, since I got into collecting after this set came out and as the price had already jacked up. I managed to have really good timing, as I came in just as City Commander came out and was still available, and right before Shadow Commander came out.

I keep waiting and waiting on news for the Hot Rod upgrade armor. My extra Henkei Hot Rod is still sitting in his plastic prison awaiting the armor. I'm still optimistic an Energon Devastator upgrade set might come out, even if it's closer to Superion's set (some random parts, better hands and feet) than the Bruticus set.

A bit random, but the iGear MP Black Trailer and the CrazyDevy Legends Devastator upgrade set (the hands, not the wrecking balls) are holding up my order at BBTS.

10. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any pics of this? I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

The MP Starscream crown could have been found cheaper if you had waited. I saw it as low as $14. I think I bought mine for about $17.

Protector is a must have when it comes out if it lives up to the same cool factor as the City Commander.

The Hardhead looks like it has more pieces than the Snakehead so I doubt it'll cost the same but it looks damn cool. I wish I had picked up a Hardhead.

Yeah I agree that pricewise it's pretty competitive. Would it have been nice to get it cheaper....sure...but I'm not totally upset by it.

11. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have all 3 commander sets (DIA, not TFcon for powered commander)

I paid $65 shipped for DIA, $100 shipped for Shadow, and $85 shipped for City
    All VERY worth it!
    Also have the Snowman version of the superion set. Love it.

I don't feel I've overpaid for anything I have.

I wish I had bought the cliffjumper upgrade...but no way in hell I will pay what it is selling for now.

I have the Brute set on pre-order. I will have protector as soon as possible.

12. LEADERS_MATRIX

LEADERS_MATRIX Wisdom of the ages...

I wish I woulda got the Cliffjumper upgrade, but nooooo, I passed and now its like $300-$400, I kep waiting on getting the Snowman Superion addon when it was on sale til it went back to full price, I'll probly do the same for the G3.

13. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i wished for a snowman add on for the sale price. but im not paying what they are asking for now. i would rather wait for a ko version instead.

14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fansproject's prices are rock-bottom, all factors considered, and thus far, all of their releases have been high quality. Sure, they're pricier than what Hasbro would be able to manage, but that's just the reality of it. I'll buy everything they make (provided it fits into my collector's tastes) without hesitation.

A lot of the other stuff, though... $70 for a sword or a big hammer and recast UM launchers? Blech.

15. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    I paid about 120USD When I went to Comic Con last summer for DIA Commander, would you guys say it was a good price?

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Forgot to mention that I also don't have the Gear of War set, and I wouldn't mind owning it.

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Of the third party add-ons I have...

Worth the price:
    - Unicron.com BW Golden Disks
    - Unicron.com Animated Accessory Pack
    - TFClub Glow-in-the-Dark TFTM Allspark
    - TFClub TFTM Leader Prime Sword
    - I forget the company name, but they made translucent plastic "energy cubes" and I bought several sets.
    - FP City Commander Armor (original release)
    - FP City Commander Add-On Set
    - FP Shadow Commander Armor
    - FP Superion Upgrade
    - MP Starscream Coronation Set

Planning to purchase:

- FP Bruticus Upgrade Sets
    - FP Protector, which looks it will be released right around the time hell freezes over

Shouldn't have purchased:
    - MP Skywarp Coronation Set
    - TF Club TFTM Nightwatch Prime Sword
    - Unicron.com Unicron Stand

I got these for $15 each when they were first released; BBTS initially had the pre-order price for $14.99 and I ordered them right away. Very shortly thereater, they bumped the price up to $24.99 each.

18. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    [Headmaster] You know I can't resist the upgrades [/Headmaster]

Upgrades I got and love

City Commander
    Fansproject City Commander upgrade kit (Upgrade for an upgrade! Woot!)
    Shadow Commander
    Powered Commander (Got him at TFCon, so competitive with D.I.A. Commander)
    G3 Trailer
    Nemesis Colored BTS Trailer
    Natobot Roadbuster Upgrade
    Alternators weapon kits
    Alt Optimus Weapon/Matrix upgrade
    JustiToys Masterpiece Megatron upgrade
    Superion Upgrade

Aftermarket items I regret

iGear Ark playset (Not really a figure upgrade, but... sort of an upgrade for all figures. Except, in this case, NOT)

19. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    Yeah, I feel the same way. The G3 trailer is really nice, but if I bought the trailer I would only be getting it for the weapons. It's a shame I can't buy just the guns and knives.

20. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay: