Whether to AFA some G1 TFs

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Usmcloady, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Usmcloady

Usmcloady Well-Known Member

Hey Everyone,
    I was just looking for an opinion on whether to AFA some of my "lower quality" G1 TFs. I have never sent anything into AFA but want all my AFA items to be graded that I'm going to hold onto. I recently bought a MOSC Gears on Ebay. It looked to be of AFA 70ish quality in my opinion. I recieved it in the mail today and one of the bottom cormers is frayed a little. No problem it looked like that in the pic on Ebay. When I was putting it back into its shipping package the fray corner got snagged on an edge and pulled the bubble slightly away from the sealed cardboard. It didn't break the "airtight" seal but the corner on the bubble is still pulled away from the cardboard backing a little. Do you think this is still worth grading? Does anyone know what kind of hit it would take from AFA if I were to send it in to AFA b/c of the bubble?
    Thanks for your opinions and help in advance,
    SK

2. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Don't AFA anything. They hurt the collectors the most.

iDD

3. Usmcloady

Usmcloady Well-Known Member

Dark Design,
    I appreciate your reply. The reason I would like to AFA them is to protect them from the elements and sometime down the road if I need $$, to sell them. I relize it hurts collector's pockets but I am a collector too, paying just like anyone else for an AFA graded TF. The main reason for my post was to help me make my decision if I should AFA an item that has a flaw such a a partially lifted bubble, and draw on other ppl's experiences with AFA and the grades they recieved on their TFs. Once again, thanks for your reply. Anyone else have any ideas?
    SK

4. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Edit--doesn't sound like it will affect the grade. Pics?

5. cromagnus

cromagnus B-boy rumble

what's up man? It sounds like the only thing you have to worry about is perhaps the bubble coming loose in shipping to and from AFA. It's your choice to get stuff graded don't let any one tell you otherwise. I do feel however that afa 70's and 75's do not fetch decent prices on ebay especially now unless its a rare item. if you are just getting it cased for protection purposes and not for resale then don't even worry about the grade. I doubt AFA will take points off the bubble grade unless it is crushed or discolored. as long as it is sealed still . I've done some deals w/you on ebay, welcome aboard!
    Where have you been?

6. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I would personally only do it if the item was rare like a MISB G1 Shockwave or a MISB G1 Fort Max *drools* but as Cromagnus says do what you want to do with them dont let some else tell you what you should do