Where's the PS3/Wii kiosks?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by 03Mach1, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pokécon

As tempting as it may sound, I think if I'd ever see a Wii-osk, I'd have to pass. I want my first experience to be in the comfort and familiarity of my own home.

And besides, I always get the feeling that I'm pissing off the employees whenever I play at a demo station, even though I rarely play one of those for over three minutes.

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So I finally saw the PS3 kiosk at Target today. They certainly picked the glossiest (is that a word?) to show this bad boy off. One thing to note; while surfing between the games/demos and the menu, I noticed that the resolution said 720p. Then I asked the associate what brand television was being used for the display...a freakin' Samsung! What gives with that? I thought 1080p was the 'True HD'? I'm not bashing, just asking as it did look amazing. But why not use a Sony LCD capable of 1080p?

3. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Played the Wii kiosk at Gamestop today. Interesting convo with the attendant before... :lol 

Me: Hey, I see the Wii kiosk. Can I try it out?
    Guy: I'll need a personal item of yours.
    Me: Uh...ok? What do you mean by personal?
    Guy: Like a phone. Wallet, maybe. Credit Card.
    Me: Here's my phone, can I play it now?
    Guy: Whose numbers are on here?
    Me: o_0 Yeah....
    Guy: Ha! I'm just messing with ya!
    Me: Can I play it or not?
    Guy: Sure, lemme boot it up. Here's your controller.
    Me: Dude! This thing is small!
    Other sales attendant: THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!
    Guy: Yeah, TO YOU!
    Me: BURN DEFLECTED! :lol 

Anyways, play a great demo of Excitetruck...or whatever it is. I wanna chop my thumbs off, because I keep wanting to steer with the D-pad. :D  I got used to the motion-control in about 45 seconds.

Overall, Nintendo has made a masterpiece. Best next-gen system, and I've played all 3.

So I might as well give my awards....

-Wii-
    Best Overall System
    Best Gameplay
    Best Game Selection at Launch
    Best Innovation
    Best Made (No breaks or flaws!)
    Best Priced

XBox 360
    Best Graphics
    Stellar Gameplay (So basically, second)
    Well Made (Some problems at launch, and a few bugs, but it's all good!)
    Fair Price

PS3
    Stellar Graphics
    Nice Innovation (Though it was stolen from Nintendo)
    Worst Planned (PS2 on steroids!)
    Not so Well Made (The mall I played it at got 6 systems. Only two worked out of their boxes.)
    Horid Price

4. Onslaught Phase 2

Onslaught Phase 2 Know my name and fear it!

Well if it's like the kiosk at my Target, they don't exactly have the biggest TV... Also, yes 1080p is the best, but it's also not as widely supported as 720p or 1080i. Plus, I don't think I've seen 1080p on small TVs....

EDIT: by "not widely supported", I also mean that it's usually more expensive....
    Also, don't hate on Samsung :)  They make mighty fine tvs. I like mine

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was just quoting Sony's marketing. They've stated that 1080p is 'True HD'. Not me. Hence the quotations. And for the record, I also own a Samsung. 32" of LCD goodness. Gears of War looks superb on it, btw. But if I was Sony, and for the last two years I spewed at the mouth about how 1080p was the only way to achieve 'True HD' (again, Sony's words, not mine), I'd sure as hell make the kiosks with a TV capable of that output.

6. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

I saw the PS3 setup at Target yesterday, didn't even care to check it out. Yep that's how much I'm sold for the Wii. (not to mention the TV looked to be giving off the 3D look with out the glasses)

the TV they had setup though, well it looked like the PS3 had locked up already. Sounds like X-box probs that happened with first runs to me. Have yet to see any Wii setups though. I wish they just had Wii sports in it to try that out but I guess it's too kinetic compared to Excite Truck.

7. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I noticed the 720p also when I checked it out, and then the Target associate proceeded to tell the couple behind me that how "great" it loked now, it was just running at standard, not high definition, and that it, "still looks better than the 360." I just rolled my eyes, put the controller down and walked away. There was only one demo, and it's a stupid basketball game at that. Whoopee!! It's just sad that employees feel the need to talk out of their asses about things they obviously have no clue about, and then to claim that the stupid basketball game looked better than the 360? It's a joke. It looked good as far as basketball games go, but not great, and there are plenty of 360 games that look much much better. I'd love for them to have Gears of War running right next to it and have him say something like that.