where's the paint? (Knock-out)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by freak176, May 16, 2012.

1. freak176

freak176 Metallurgist

Is it just me or does the Knockout figure look unfinished? Besides it being the worst of the Transformer Prime U.S. figures released so far, it is missing a lot of painted details. They used the gold accent on the hood but missed the headlights, wheel rims, and door handles. The "shin guards" should be the same color as the hood paint. Its like they started to do it and then said, "Ah, hell with it. I'm tired. It looks good enough for me." I'll end up visiting my local hobby shop and paint it myself, but I'm no model customizer. Well, if I mess it up, no big loss I suppose.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    You could always learn on a shitty toy car or something, and then once you know what you're doing, take to Knockout. I'm sure he'd approve. :) 

3. Arkitect76

Arkitect76 Fanaticon

News Credits:
    what are good paints to use for painting transformers like knockout for example....also...do you finish it with a clear coat? what kind?....really looking forward to giving this guy some paint...thanks

4. er4smiths

er4smiths Optimus Prime Titan

Try visiting ProCustomizers.com

Lots of great info

5. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    I have no clue as to how you can say that he's the worst. Bumblebee is most likely the worst.

I understand what you mean though, but that's Hasbro. The paint isn't always the best, but it's nothing that can't be fixed.

6. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Buuuuuuudgeeeeeeeeet.

7. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    And the thing is, he has LOTS of paint. It's just in that really horrible color choice and applied to the worst possible areas from what I've seen.

8. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Invest in some multi-colored Sharpie markers. They make for a cheap and easy DIY, and easy to clean if you mess up (just a little paint thinner, rubbing alcohol, or nail polish remover). Metallic gold or yellow on the rims seems like a no-brainer; just have to have a steady hand and be careful. For the bigger details, could always wait for Reprolabels to come out with a set of stickers for KO.

9. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Tamiya paints are REALLY good, but they can be hard to use if you've never done it before. On the other hand, Games Workshop and their Citadel line of paints are expensive, but they're pretty good and easy to use as long as you remember to thin your paints down with water a little bit.

Painting is challenging at first when you're figuring it out but ultimately the paint job is SO MUCH BETTER than using Sharpies. It is tempting to go the easy route, but it is very fulfilling to learn to paint.

Anyways, yeah, you'll want a clear coat, and what kind you get determines the finish. You have Gloss and Matte, and basically the difference is that Gloss gives you a shiny finish, while Matte gives you a non-shiny finish.

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He has a lot of paint. It's just applied in a way where it still looks kinda dull and the color choice sucked.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    make sure you use paint, the sharpies rub off after handling and bleed, paint or reprolabels,

12. Tarrn

Tarrn Bikeformer Fanboy

Yeah, sharpies are fine for minor detailing, but they'll just rub off when you try and handle things. I don't know if that clear coat stuff used for sealing paint would do the same thing on sharpie - if so, it's an option, as it would certainly be cheaper and easier than learning to paint and getting all the materials together.

Paint apps aside, I can't really say I get all the Knockout hate. The car mode is pretty damn small, but as a robot I think he looks good. I especially like how the doors, windshield-halves and roof-halves become the side of his arms and how he has no back kibble aside from the shoulder wheels - too many car TF's are guilty of just chucking the roof or more on the back, and looking like they're hiding inside a shell instead of transforming into an actual vehicle.

13. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
  14. Molina00

Molina00 Well-Known Member

Ebay:

I don't have a problem with the mold, I just think the default paint job is really bad. I guess that's why we have awesome customizers like Cheetimus Primal. If I ever find an extra one at retail I want to try my hand at custom painting this guy.

15. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    That's why I'm waiting for a redeco. The blood stain color on top of the car is awful.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    What in the blue hell are you talking about? I think Knock Out is one of the better figures of the TFP line.

I rank that toy alongside Wheeljack and well above Ratchet, which is one a lot of people wet their pants over.

17. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

18. freak176

freak176 Metallurgist

I am very envious of Cheetimus Primal. That is the paint job that should have been done. It just seems like there is no consistency with the quality of the paint jobs. The Vehicons are painted awesome. They are show accurate and detailed. I'm just wondering why Knockout didn't get the same amount or better detail. You can tell the mold was set up to be painted, they just didn't do it.

19. dominomist

dominomist Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Lots of tricks and tutorial on customizaton in the radicon pages. Also for coats you can use clear paint or even acrylic future floor. All described in those very helpful tips, trick and tutorial thread.

20. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that custom KnockOut is awesome. It makes me hate looking at mine, LOL.

I think I'm going to try get into custom painting. I got no skills most likely, but even a little touch up might help. Really makes a difference for some of these guys. Anyone use those Gundam pens?