Where's the love for CR/RiD?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nerroth, May 17, 2007.

1. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    Hi!

It's funny how series and toylines can pass you by when they air, or have toys on the shelves, but can spring up on you a few years down the line...

I'm starting to feel this with Car Robot/Robots in Disguise. I wasn't really back into the swing of things as a TF fan at the time, and I didn't care all that much for the (limited) TV exposure in Ireland, or for many of the figs (ie the repaints from older lines...)

However, since reading more about the role Omega Prime has played in the Collectors' Club comic series, checking out a few eps of both CR and RiD, and seeing more online about the original toys from the line, I'm turning into a big fan! (And when I heard about the new Prime in TF:Animated being a fire truck, I felt an interest in checking out the pre-existing series with such a Prime - as I already know Galaxy Force well enough.)

The show itself, for a supposed 'filler' line, is not too bad at all - and I like both the English dubbed and the Japanese subbed versions of the story that I've seen so far (which is rare for me with any anime, let alone TF series). And as the OTFCC comics, and Kickback's fiction writing, have shown, there is a lot of potential for the characters still untapped (and not just in their own setting).

Shame that the DW one-off couldn't have been a bit better, but how and ever...

I'm looking forward to my order for the Titanium version of RiD Prime (or Super Fire Convoy, if you will) coming through - ironic how my first RiD fig isn't from the RiD line itself!

And kudos to Tony Bacala for his work with ridforever.info - though it might be an idea to put up a gallery of the new diecast take on 'Super Fire Convoy', as well as more info on the 'Balancing Act' TPB!

How much of a candle for CR/RiD is held by other 2005ers?

Gary

2. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I LOVE RID. It's the line the got me back into transformers after having no interest from the end of G1 through Beast Machines.

3. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

I only have good things to say about RID, though it was a tad confusing at first when it was the Predacons vs. Autobots, until the whole japanese continuity came to my attention.

4. Mirage914

Mirage914 Invisible

love RiD , ive got both Ultra Magus and Optimus Prime. Omega supreme bitch.:rock 

5. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    some here!!

6. AMG

AMG Old School

I've never seen the series. But the toys are nice. Fire Convoy is awesome. One of my all time favorite Primes.

7. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Car Robots was the perfect match between G1 and Beast Wars. It's up there with G1 , Beast Wars Neo and the Transmetals as my all-time favorite TF toy lines.
    I still don't understand why HasTak went backwards in 2002 with Armada. It was the G1 main mistake, all over again - going from realistic vehicles to futuristic ones. Wasn't for Armada, Transformers would have evolved naturally into the 2007 movie designs, and all the fuss and negativity about the movie designs would've been avoided IMHO.

8. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Things like Sky-byte singing made the series a little too silly for my tastes but the toys were frigging awesome. Toys like Omega Prime and train-bots are still some of my favorites.

9. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    As far as Omega Prime goes, I hope that Hasbro will someday do a Titanium Ultra Magnus that would be re-designed to combine with Titanium Optimus!

That would be great.

Gary

10. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I really didn't like the cartoon, but the toy line was great! I remember how excited that I was when I found all four of the Autobot construction combiners (I can't believe I can't remember the names!) at the same time! And, yes, the Prime/Ultra Magnus combination was awesome! I wasn't a huge fan of Megatron, though...

11. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe I'd have a little more love for the series if Saban/Disney/Sony/whoever the hell owns the rights would put the damn thing out on DVD. Until then, bah!

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got to like the cartoon for what it was, which was mostly a silly anime-style campy romp. Sky-Byte was the real star of that show, in a "Tonight the role of Waspinator will be played by this reject from the Royal Shakespeare Company" sorta way.

The (original-mold) toys were special, in they were a return to G1-esque alt modes, but with BW design technology (BW Neo mostly), I liked them a lot at the time, though with a little time and perspective, I find them a bit too complicated, kibbly, and fiddly for my tastes. While I think Armada went a little too far the other way, I appreciated the move to simpler, chunkier designs. I would agree however that if the RiD/Car Robots design style continued on thru today, the Movie robots wouldn't be much of a shock at all.

13. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I thought the figures were great. I'm still in the market for Skybyte and Scourge.

14. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Excitement! My Style!!!

News Credits:
    Anybody know where I can watch the episodes? I regret missing out on the UK boxed sets from Amazon.uk. Must....see.....Brutic, err, Ruination

15. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I really liked RID. I hade all the toys but sld them off when the big purge came in like 1,5 -2 years ago.

16. fiire_dragon_88

fiire_dragon_88 Andimus Prime Time

What is the deal with the predicons being there?
    I know about the whole mishap that happend in the 80s with them not seing the movie or season 3, but why did they put presicons in RID?
    did it have anything to do with Beast wars Neo and beast Wars II?

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any love I have for any line is generally solely based on the toys. The cartoons are an after thought for me. I will say though that the little I saw of RID seemed pretty good, and in general had a better feel then A/E/C.

EDIT: I also want to say that I would probably buy any series that shows up in serious DVD collections. (serious meaning not like 2 or 3 episodes on individually packed DVDs)

As far as the toyline goes, there are hit and misses just as with any line. I like having a new Magnus, and I liked Primes normal design, but Primes super mode and Omega Primes construction really kinda bothered me by being over complicated and hard to keep together, IMO. The car brothers were also oddly constructed and a bit complicated, but I did like their look for the most part. I am more into fun transformations then complex one.

Also, I don't think what they did with Armada was a bad thing, necessarily. While it didn't have a lot of toys I really liked, it was a stepping stone to Cybertron, which I think is one of the best TF lines ever. I will also defend Armada Prime- still one of the beefiest looking Primes, and along with his alt mode I though his design was better then RID/CR's.

18. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    They had a perfectly good reason to go back to simpler designs. RiD was far too complex for children. Most of the original mold toys were either getting broken or returned due to just how complicated they were. Ultra Magnus in particular was a real nightmare. I personally saw a mother returning one. She asked the person behind the counter why they made such a complicated toy with so many small pieces for kids. The person made comment about several other returns of that toy. So it was a major problem.

I do agree they made things a bit too simple with Armada. The one good thing about Energon, was that it did start getting things back on track.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    RiD is still one of my favorite TF lines both for the toys and the cartoon. :thumb 

20. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    If the RiD toys are too complex, imagine the new movie toys. Eeek. I LOVE(D) the RiD/CR figures with my favorites being the train and construction vehicle combiners.