Where's the competition?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AlphaOmega, Aug 2, 2007.

1. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member

I was wondering about this as I strolled past another devastated TF section in my local Target...why aren't there any competitors in the "transforming robot" genre of toys? I don't mean crappy knockoffs or lame Power Rangers, I mean good quality, Macross-style bots that directly compete against the TF label.

Blasphemy, I know, but hear me out. Everything has competition; there are many kinds of action figures, cars have Matchbox and Hot Wheels, and even Nerf has other brands surronding it in the "dart gun" area. So why not transformable robots?

Sure, there's a long history in TFs, but since Hasbro "reboots" anyway with each new line, so what's to stop a company from developing their own mythology? And let's be perfectly honest: many recent TFs suffer from their share of problems, opening the door for a higher quality product to take some market share. Poor QC (Deluxe Brawl's shoulder pegs, Blackout's alt mode, the ENTIRE Titanium 6" line) and uninspired repaints (Energon deluxes, Nightwatch Prime) provide more critical fodder and erode public opinion of the finished products as well.

The point is, I think there's room for at least one more competitor in this market. Some have provided fringe products, such as the Happywell line, but no one has really attacked the possibilities that I think exist. I for one would welcome a wider selection, and would purchase from both without feeling disloyal. I mean, I own an iPod as well as a Creative Zen Micro, and both coexist in the DAP market. Sure, Apple dominates that one, but Creative is doing just fine as an alternative, and that's what I'm hoping for: a great quality alternative to our beloved TF line, to help satiate the growing appetite that the US is developing for transformable robots.

Your thoughts on the topic are appreciated.

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I don't know about tranforming toys, but Mattel is big competition for Hasbro. Especially when it comes to boys toys direct competition for Tfs would probably be Disney/Pixar Cars and Hot Wheels both from Mattel. Competition within Hasbro is Star Wars toys, Spiderman toys, and GI Joe Toys, I would think anyway.
    I think those R.E.V. things are the only other Transforming robot to car toys I have seen in awhile besides TFs and those cheapo ones at big lots.

3. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Seems to me that R.E.V.s are pretty obvious Transformer attempts. They're robots with armor that comes off of them to form a car.

Really, though, I like to think that the reason we don't see more toys like TFs is that they're a tough act to follow. QC notwithstanding, TFs are little marvels of engineering and HasTak has been making them for a long time. It wouldn't be so easy for another company to just "pick it up".

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On topic, I do want to see another line with some quality, and I have no idea why their aren't. Now, I don't really collect things outside of Hasbro toys- how is QC for other brands? Whatever the case, if there was some comparable competition, we would probable see better QC and overal TF products from Hasbro.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Transformers had competition at one time. They were called Gobots, and the Transformers dominated them.

6. rerunwatson99

rerunwatson99 Well-Known Member

Now there would be some competition....if the freakin' Gundam series would make more action figures/robots of war that were transformable....and priemered first in the US!
    That could be a serious competitor.
    same with the robotech stuff too

7. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I think it is because more and more kids are lured towards video games and less to toys. Plus TF dominate the transforming robot toy market. There have been a number of different types of transfroming robots that have gone up against TF and failed. It's probably too expensive for Mattel and other toy companies to design and engineer something comprable to TF. Another reason may be that these other toy companies don't have the unique relationship that Hasbro has with Takara/Tomy. Finally, the other toy makers don't really have the patience to stick with the new brand for the long term. If it doesn't become successful, it is quickly cancelled.
    Just my 2¢.

8. butz

butz slippery when wet

I was kinda wondering this too. We have R.E.V.s (really more like parts formers rather than transformers) and I think I saw some Hot Wheels things that turned into robots ... but thats about it. Outside the realm of toys, there was that cheap-o "Trans-morphers" (or whatever) moive, but nothing else really. I was really expecting to see more attempts to cash in on the Transforming robot theme because of the movie.
    Japan apparently has all kinds of transforming robot stuff, so its not as though only Hasbro knows how to do it properly or anything. And failing that, couldn't somebody just bring over molds from one of those Japanese lines (kinda like how Tonka brought overa bunch of the Machine Robo stuff for old Go-bots series?)
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for something to replace TFs or anything; it would just be neat to have other transforming robots over here.

9. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

Because all the little kiddies want Bumblebee, and not yellowbot #4. The Transforming robot market has been tapped, they've got cheapo figs, expensive figs, pencils with Optimus Prime on them. There isn't a way for the market to be penetrated in anyway that would matter.

And with the movie having just come out, it wouldn't be the best timing.

10. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

I would love it if there was another company to throw my paychecks at.

11. TheMonarch

TheMonarch Still arching Venture

News Credits:
  12. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  13. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    With the new movie out there's a lot of pretenders coming out. Roadbots though they are mostly online, REVs is another. One I saw recently were Modifighters, which seem to be the lamest of the bunch.

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Those are pretty cute, I like the mustang.

15. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Toy Biz tried with their revived Megamorphs line (shortly before they lost the Marvel license to Hasbro anyway).

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IMO "competition in the US for TFs is different from Japan. In the US TFs compete with "action figures" like ML etc...the closest competitor with regards to robot toys I can think of is Power Rangers but then again that line has quite a number of "action figures".

In Japan, its another story as competition is very intense. TFs are competing with Bandai's SOC, Gundams etc. IMO the TF main line is really losing ground with Japanese fans and I hope the movie can improve the situation.

17. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i read this like it was in a documentary.

18. squawkbox74

squawkbox74 Mawile enthusiast

The hasbro transformers have pretty much conquered all aspects of the transforming robot market

19. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Transformers has competition.

Power Rangers.
    Ben10.
    Star Wars.
    GI Joe.
    Marvel Legends.
    Batman.
    Hot Wheels/Matchbox.

Yes, some of those are Hasbro toys, but they're all competing for the same thing -- to be #1 in Boys Toys. Power Rangers has been the champion over the last decade, but they seem to be getting in to a decline (finally), so Transformers may have the steam to take over #1 for the first time in over 20 years.

As for "other Transforming robots" ... that'd be like someone creating another Power Rangers, where people in multi-colored suits drive big zords that combine. Ain't gonna happen because it's the norm.

20. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

You don't read documentarys.