where's the anime

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by maximus prime3, Feb 23, 2007.

1. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

this board is games and anime right. how come i never see any anime?

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

because you look at the wrong times?

3. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

i love anime, so someone tell me when there is another anime thread

4. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    Right how everyone seems to want to talk about games, myself included. If you want to talk about a specific anime just create a topic, I'm sure someone will jump in.

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

How about asking where we can get some anime that doesn't suck? Ive seen no new anime worth my time watching since around 2003 (save the GitS series).

Maybe if anime production companies start making stuff that isn't made of shit and fail people will want to talk about it.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I guess you missed the Black Lagoon and Death Note threads we just had?

7. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I don't know, I've seen a couple decent shows since then (Eureka 7 and Fullmetal Alchemist come to mind).

On a side note, am I the only person who has no love for GitS? I mean, I liked the first movie, and some of the episodes, but all the Japanese political stuff and the general convolutedness (is that even a word?) of the plot just put me off. It just seemed too pretentious and overcomplicated. And boring. Very, very boring.

8. flamepanther

I can think of several. Aquarion, Black Lagoon, Blood+, Samurai Champloo... sometimes you've gotta go out and look for this stuff though.
    I thought the movies were more pretentious than the TV series. The movies try to be just a bit to artsy-fartsy, just for the sake of seeming avant garde. That seems to be something that Mamoru Oshii likes to do (but I love his work anyway). The TV series was a lot more down to earth in its presentation and philosophy.

If it wasn't just a little bit heavy, bordering on pretentious, then it wouldn't be Ghost In The Shell, or even something like any of Masamune Shirow's best works. The original manga has more humor and general levity to balance it out though. Shirow's work tends to be pretty dense stuff.

9. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Well, Eureka 7 is exactly the cookie cutter anime that I am trying to speak out against. I just found the series (or at least what I saw of it) incredibly boring, cliche, and predictable. It felt like one of those series that should have been titled "Anime: Generic".

And I forgot about FMA. I feel that FMA almost falls into the "Anime: Generic" section, but something saves it. Im not sure exactly what it is that saves it, but somehow it managed to stand above other anime that falls into the "Generic" category. I guess its just the way that everything in it is put together. It has its share of things that may made me cringe at times, but I really do enjoy the series. My only real gripe with the show it is that I simply think that it drags on too long. Would have been just about excellent if they cut the show down and wrapped it all up in about 30-35 episodes.

And as for GitS. I enjoy it, but there are times where it is incredibly boring. (The episode where they are all sitting around a table on the Internet, I'm looking at YOU!)
    I thought the first movie was pretty good, the second movie was okay, but felt way too artsy for my taste. The first season of the TV show has its share of boring. The second season I really enjoyed, and Im really looking forward to seeing the third season.

10. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Movie.

I'm pretty sure a third season hasn't even been announced yet. Or if it has, it's only in production and hasn't begun to air yet.

But yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting the movie. I finally got around to picking up the 2nd Gig DVDs, and I loved it. I really appreciated how much more personal the stories were to the Section 9 team, especially adding to the precious little of the Major's story that could be gleaned from Season 1.

And personally, in regards to Eureka Seven, I don't find it to be cookie-cutter at all. But then again, maybe I just don't watch enough anime. But I find its focus to be quite refreshing. Despite the exhilarating sci-fi elements and shadowy underlying conspiracies, it's really a very human story, looking more at how people react to the things going around them all the time, and how it affects them all.

11. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'm just happy that Naruto and Bleach are finally past the filler eps

12. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    *waiting the Haruhi whatsoever thread*

Here almost everyone going gaga over that anime.

13. Emperor Mengde

I don't know, there's alot I like about GitS, and I am willing to look past alot of the stuff that kind of irks me. I think I just don't understand why there's such huge love for it. It's a decent show and a couple of movies, just not great. Then again, that is indeed just my opinion and is thus not applicable to anyone else.

I also think you're looking for something a bit too much out of most anime. I mean, you can make a generic argument for just about anything, as almost all television series and movies borrow heavily from what came before them. You can even say this about some of the most "innovative" series. I mean, look at Evangelion, considered to be hugely innovative. I dare you to watch Aura Battler Dunbine and Space Runaway Ideon and tell me that Evangelion is not made up heavily of the same ideas and themes.

Personally, I just enjoy whatever entertains me, whether it is what I would consider high quality or just fluff. I watch far too much anime, and I can see how you can get annoyed at the endless reuse of ideas, cliches, characters, designs, whatever, but at the same time, if these things are presented in an interesting way the series can still be good.

14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And there's reason for it. It's an awesome feat of animation and non-linear storytelling, with a unique premise and a hilarious sense of humour. I'm very eagerly awaiting the second season, and I'll be snapping up the weekly subs for sure, something I've never done before.

I was going to drop a mention, and then I forgot.

15. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Go watch Monster.

16. flamepanther

Hell yes.

17. Emperor Mengde

I really hope someone picks up the series for US release. Right now I'm reading the manga as it comes out, and its very good. I'll watch the fansubs if I have to, but I'd love to pick up an official release.

18. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    The King of Braves: Gaogaigar!

That is all.

19. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I'm also hoping so as well. I just don't know if it will happen. The show's got a decent sized fanbase but little mass appeal since there's not a lot of action or comedy. At 74 episodes its a pretty lengthy show too. Still, I'd love to have high quality dvds with a solid dub. Its really one of the best shows I've seen and one of the most faithful to the original source.

20. Emperor Mengde

Yeah, Monster is a tough one to figure out how to market. It seems that the manga is doing well though, so I hope some company decides to pick it up. Even if it were sub only, I'd still buy it. Oh, and great Johan avatar btw.