Where Would You Draw The Line?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by soundwaverulls, Sep 3, 2012.

1. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

So today I went to a toy shop for the first time in a while and to my delight there was a FOC Shockwave. I picked it up said "OMG it's tiny". I think it was even smaller than RID toys. There were some left over Scout toys so I compared them and Shockwave was only about an inch bigger. And on top of that, it was more expensive than the old Deluxes. So despite wanting a toy of Shockwave since WFC first came out, I put him down and bought a LEGO set instead.

So after that, I am now more confused than ever about how anyone can still be willing to buy Transformers. So where would you draw the line and stop buying Transformers?

2. jbot

jbot Disciple of A3

News Credits:
    I only buy Transformers if I see a little kid holding on to them at a toy store. I usually snatch it from their hands, smack any protesting parent around, and then proceed to buy all the toys in stock using the diamonds overflowing from my pockets. But then again, isn't that what every does?

3. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Because I'm a Transformers collector and small or not they are still often much better value that stuff Bandai makes.

If I'd Buy Actionmasters, Pretenders,Micromasters and Armada toys your damn straight i'm going to buy Prime & Generations toys - tiny or not.

That said it is a bit of a pain that the FOC & WFC toys are not the same size I'd rather they put the price up to $15.00 and made them bigger personally.

4. Deadfett

Deadfett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lolol 

5. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

When they stop making innovative, interesting, and fun toys depicting characters I like.

Soooo, the 12th of never?

6. Flexx Ark

Flexx Ark Cyberverse Completionist

News Credits:
    I'm nit a huge fan of the deluxe size decrease, but I'm a Cyberverse fan first and foremost....

7. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    The point was when will they become too expensive at retail for you to decide that its not worth your money?

$15 deluxes? $20 deluxes?

8. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

Oh, that's right. Deluxes don't cost over $20 in America. I completely forgot that when I made this thread. While I still think people should decrease how much they but TF, I no longer need a thread talking about it.

Please lock this thread mods. Thanks

9. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    now wait this is a good idear, for me there isnt a line its more i dont have it in me to do another seires, i have other things i want to do.

And i can always collect later down the track, prime classics and master peiceses im skipping the next movie, if the next tv series is another g1,prime,animated thing ill skip that another beast wars could pull me in.

10. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    If I don't like it, I won't get it.

It goes down to what I really like. I really like Breakdown from TFP and I paid for the AM version. I didn't like TFP Airachnid and I wouldn't pay a string for it.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    A few weeks back a couple of the big supermarket chains here in the UK started bumping up the price of their Legions. Now I read in the UK Sightings Thread they've gone up nearly £2 to around £7. Recently I'd already passed on picking up the three TFP Legions I wanted when I realised as I was heading to the checkout they'd gone to £5.69 each. I turned around and put them right back on the shelf. Thankfully other stores here aren't being as gittish with their prices and a week later I spotted them elsewhere for £3.74 each and picked those up instead.

To be honest I don't know if I reached a personal threshold with regards to Legion prices or that I just don't care about collecting figures as much anymore. It's entirely possible that just a few years ago I might've paid that higher price for those figures I really wanted, but since stuff has become such a chore to track down in stores these days I've started to go off collecting as it's not so fun anymore. So maybe it's actually apathy rather than price that's affecting my purchase limits. More and more I find I'll finally locate a figure I was interested in, see the price and remember how much titting about I spent looking for one and think 'Y'know... fuck it. I don't really care about wanting it anymore' and pass.

I've been collecting TF non-stop since 1984 and it's kinda worrying that I've now become like that. Maybe Hasbro should worry a little about that particular mindset too.

12. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've actually spent about £60 on Hasbro/TakTom TF's this year a 3 prime DLX toys the odd thing I've found in clearance.

compared to say 2005/6 when I came very close to buying the whole Galaxy Force and Cyb toy line and what ever vintage stuff I could find.

I'm just personally at the point that I'm asking myself do I really need to have the whole cast line up? and the answer is no. I'm just getting one's that interest me and seem like a good return for my money. Also all the fun has gone from going on a Toy hunt since new waves now will only have 2 or 3 new toys and often its only 1 I want.

I hate to say it but so far Maketoy have actually gotten more of my hobby money then HasTak. And I dont mean that as a 3rd party snob I've only got Giant and Blesser its just that so little new retail items really shout buy me these days and what does interest me is typically subject to import mark up and that puts me off and I have to wait and see if the stuff goes clearance

Now what was that line in the sand? not price I can deal with paying £2 or £3 more of waiting for a sale its the cutting back on materials and the cheaper feel.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i've all but given up on the new stuff, my g1 collection is loving it though, and i can wait for mps. quality over quantity. my toy room has a lot of room still, but when i complete g1, it won't. i will be picking and choosing from foc, since i want a few of the figures so far, but i'll wait for sales, they don't seem to move fast around here

14. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't think there will be definite "that's it, no more" time for me, but the number of TFs I buy is steadily decreasing while the amount I spend doesn't seem to :(  I think my peak was Cyberton and Universe 2 Classics.

15. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I already did. Prices continue to rise, while quality, quantity, variety, playability, fun, size, mass and the Generations line- continue to fall

I wish that I could say that, but buying toys during the golden age of 2006 was limited to birthdays and christmas. Now, I can buy what I want, but the toys just plain suck. :( 

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I know some of those older figures cost a lot now, but just consider you have whole lots of catching up to do! :)  I did the similar thing with RiD/Car Robot toys.

17. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah. At least when collecting older figures, you can use those to make fun of current ones. :) 

18. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've already drawn the line. I'm done collecting.

19. Starfire22

Starfire22 Zoot Suit Riot

News Credits:
    I buy the ones I like, I pass on the ones I hate.

Simple.

20. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I figure another 2 or 3 more "RARGH toyz R smal and xpensiv" threads like this and I'll have to draw the line and give up on the fandom entirely.